Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10
Selecting a playlist entry just activates a registration. There's nothing stopping you then calling up *another* registration on top of it to control other things, apart from the inconvenience of having to find it again from the list once you've selected the playlist entry.
... I never use a registration to control how the style is setup to sound. I always setup each STYLE so I can perform it using just the style and not a button on the registration. 

I use a registration to control the reverb mic settings and vocal harmony backup singers only. ...

Hi Keith and Derek,

Drake obviously only uses Registrations (normally just one) to switch the Mic Reverb and Vocal Harmony settings. This means that this registration is always active. He saves all other “voice-relevant” settings directly into his styles (which he calls up either directly or via the Music Finder).

This system is not possible if you work “normally” with registrations, i.e. use a registration bank for each song title or use the Playlist feature. Theoretically, you could assign (only) Mic/VH ON/OFF settings to a few registration buttons for each individual bank, but if you make later changes you would have to edit all reg banks (which of course is not particularly useful and is quite time-consuming).

Best regards,
Chris
Genos Styles/OTS/Multi Pads / Re: How to find the melody?
« Last post by mikf on Today at 02:34:18 PM »
In fact I don’t think many on this forum are truly ‘ear ‘ players. They may not read music, but are really memorizing the song. They pick out the melody, learn the chords and repeat it until it sticks. Nothing wrong with that if it works.
But as I said in a previous post, that is not truly playing by ear. True ear players hear everything in their head, the melody, the correct harmony, the arrangement, and maybe even for very advanced players, alternative harmony - all while playing in real time. It is partly a gift, but can also be learned. But to do it well requires significant musical knowledge and experience, especially if playing songs with complex chord patterns.
In fact, even great ear players will use a combination of memory and ear playing. Some songs have very tricky harmony or melody in small parts, so they will often just memorize those few bars, but the rest they don’t need to memorize.
But we are now an awful l long way from dealing with Scannie’s near term needs. Scannie, you are way back at the beginning  here, and just need to work through some basics. Then even your questions will be more informed. Learning to make music late in life is no easy task.
Mike
« Last post by BogdanH on Today at 01:44:30 PM »
hello scannie,

Maybe a stupid question, how to play in C?
Is one specific chord the C major chord?
Maybe this video will help you understanding chords.
No, I don't think it's a stupid question.. otherwise I wouldn't make that video  :)

Bogdan
« Last post by Ron on Today at 01:34:22 PM »
I am not really all that surprised that so many on here are EAR players.  Maybe I was lucky in having Classical piano lessons for 10 years when I was a child.  This enables me to sight read and play almost everything in the written keys.  Well done to all who manage to perform well only by ear technique.  Playing from memory is another useful tool but was not something I ever tried as I could just put up the music.  I take my hat off to those who can sit down and just play. Never lucky enough to be able to do that. Now, too old to learn new tricks.

Ton
I think the confusion is with the newer keyboards that no longer have the MUSIC FINDER as my S950 has. It is a handy feature that Yamaha has done away with for some unknown reason.

As Divemaster said, there is really nothing that MUSIC FINDER does which you can't do with PLAYLIST.

It's true that you have to prepare some custom registrations first, with the right style / voice / section preselected. But you can put those registrations anywhere you want in your USB / user drive, then link them to a PLAYLIST.
« Last post by andyg on Today at 11:40:58 AM »

Keep in mind you can TRANSPOSE the "chords" to every song you want to play into the key of C. By doing so, you will only need to LEARN one key to play on your keyboard (the key of C). That way you can memorize the scale quickly and generally you won't be using the black keys at all.

With due respect to Drake, the musician and especially the music teacher inside me are both screaming "Please don't do this!"

Playing in most keys is easy enough but, as with all things musical, you'll have to put in some effort to do some learning and practice. Learn the simple keys and scales - C, G and F to start with, then go further to A and D, Bb and Eb. That will cover an awful lot of material and you'll find that books published for arranger keyboard will stick to easy keys most of the time anyway.

The transposer can be very useful, I'll sometimes use it to add a 'lift' to the final verse or chorus of a piece. And it's handy when your sheet music is in one key and the version you have on CD or whatever is in another!

But it has some limitations and things can go awry when you start moving up or down too far. If the piece is in F and you want to play it in C, you can transpose up 5 semitones or down 7. The melody can easily be moved up or down an octave to sound good, but the chords can be very muddy down 7 or a bit 'squeaky' up 5.
Rich. Yes, Most Freestyles do work in my DGX670.
In fact all the Tyros 5 Styles and even early PSR3000 work very good.

The DGX670 Menu button pushing took awhile for me to get used to but I now I'm fine.
You can edit Styles but there is no option to alter OTS,s
I save my favorite voices in the RGTs with the Style unticked means I can play any selected style with any of my favorite Voice RGTs.

Past 50 years I have owned top end arrangers but the weighted key-bed on the DGX has been a game changer for me.
Had my DGX for 2 years and would not change it. Voice samples are very good and overall Excellent value.
Has any DGX-670 owner had success using a freeplay style such as “Ethereal Movie” or “On Broadway” ?

I don’t own a 670 right now (considering it instead of a Genos2). I am aware from previous posts here that it does load SFF2 styles from SX and that SX600 styles possibly worked the best.  I was wondering if there was anything unusual about the freeplay style format that wouldn’t work well in the DGX?

Rich
I think the confusion is with the newer keyboards that no longer have the MUSIC FINDER as my S950 has. It is a handy feature that Yamaha has done away with for some unknown reason.

With the SX keyboard you will be stuck with using the registration to call up your custom song styles. You might use Slot #1 to save the intro you will use for the song. Then use Slots #7 and #8 to hold your mic settings.

I dread getting the SX keyboard knowing the Music Finder is now missing from the keyboards. I may wind up simply putting my styes in 20 folders with 16 styles (songs) in each of them. Then just select the style I want and referred to my lead sheet as to how the song starts, with an intro or one of the mains. That way the registrations I would still only use for Mic settings and controlling the backup singers.

Hi Drake

You CAN actually have the Music Finder Database on your proposed new SX900.
It's just called PLAYLIST instead.

I've transferred all the Tyros models except T1, and also have several other TOTL keyboards on my regular memory stick.

You basically just put the relevant MFD file on a stick, and then put that into the SX. It then advises you that you can convert the file to a playlist.

Each mfd file takes 5/6 minutes to convert, but once done you then simply press the new (say T5) file,  followed by your playlist button, and it's all there just as before.

The ONLY thing you can't do, unlike the older models, is scroll through the list alphabetically except by using the Up Down buttons which can be a bit tiresome. There's no quick A_Z search function.

I have about 15 Playlists including your S950, G1 and G2 on my SX700. All play well.

Why so many.... Well because a lot of older songs are not on newer keyboards.

I'm sure you will  really like your SX when you get it.

MFD files are here to save you a search.

https://psrtutorial.com/sty/OF/musicfinder.html

Keith.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk