Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10
Has any DGX-670 owner had success using a freeplay style such as “Ethereal Movie” or “On Broadway” ?

I don’t own a 670 right now (considering it instead of a Genos2). I am aware from previous posts here that it does load SFF2 styles from SX and that SX600 styles possibly worked the best.  I was wondering if there was anything unusual about the freeplay style format that wouldn’t work well in the DGX?

Rich
I think the confusion is with the newer keyboards that no longer have the MUSIC FINDER as my S950 has. It is a handy feature that Yamaha has done away with for some unknown reason.

With the SX keyboard you will be stuck with using the registration to call up your custom song styles. You might use Slot #1 to save the intro you will use for the song. Then use Slots #7 and #8 to hold your mic settings.

I dread getting the SX keyboard knowing the Music Finder is now missing from the keyboards. I may wind up simply putting my styes in 20 folders with 16 styles (songs) in each of them. Then just select the style I want and referred to my lead sheet as to how the song starts, with an intro or one of the mains. That way the registrations I would still only use for Mic settings and controlling the backup singers.

Hi Drake

You CAN actually have the Music Finder Database on your proposed new SX900.
It's just called PLAYLIST instead.

I've transferred all the Tyros models except T1, and also have several other TOTL keyboards on my regular memory stick.

You basically just put the relevant MFD file on a stick, and then put that into the SX. It then advises you that you can convert the file to a playlist.

Each mfd file takes 5/6 minutes to convert, but once done you then simply press the new (say T5) file,  followed by your playlist button, and it's all there just as before.

The ONLY thing you can't do, unlike the older models, is scroll through the list alphabetically except by using the Up Down buttons which can be a bit tiresome. There's no quick A_Z search function.

I have about 15 Playlists including your S950, G1 and G2 on my SX700. All play well.

Why so many.... Well because a lot of older songs are not on newer keyboards.

I'm sure you will  really like your SX when you get it.

MFD files are here to save you a search.

https://psrtutorial.com/sty/OF/musicfinder.html

Keith.
I think the confusion is with the newer keyboards that no longer have the MUSIC FINDER as my S950 has. It is a handy feature that Yamaha has done away with for some unknown reason.

With the SX keyboard you will be stuck with using the registration to call up your custom song styles. You might use Slot #1 to save the intro you will use for the song. Then use Slots #7 and #8 to hold your mic settings.

I dread getting the SX keyboard knowing the Music Finder is now missing from the keyboards. I may wind up simply putting my styes in 20 folders with 16 styles (songs) in each of them. Then just select the style I want and referred to my lead sheet as to how the song starts, with an intro or one of the mains. That way the registrations I would still only use for Mic settings and controlling the backup singers.   
Hello Chris

I never use a registration to control how the style is setup to sound. I always setup each STYLE so I can perform it using just the style and not a button on the registration. 

I use a registration to control the reverb mic settings and vocal harmony backup singers only.

Some keyboard players use the registration to setup up how the voices will sound in their styles. They sometimes have issues when moving on to the next keyboard or if they move the registration's location or the styles to another location, things get messed up and confusing at times. 

I take the time to setup each of the parts used in the style, the OTS and balance all the Mains of the style together for the perfect sound that I want to come out of my keyboard every time I perform the song.

For example when I set in at an open mic bar, I can simply plug in my keyboard to their PA system and tell them the turn off all the reverb in the channel I am plug into.

When I get a new keyboard, my styles will sound perfect the first time and every time I use them. No headaches, no problems, no worries.
Hi Drake,
I am just about to get either a used genos or more likely a SX900 but don't have it yet so I misunderstood your last post about setting up different harmony settings.  Your first sentence said, "I also use the registration method".  Your last sentence said, "I never use a registration for that task...".  I know you have a lot of experience performing and I hope to get into it one day.  I understand what you said about having different registrations with different mike/reverb settings.  I just got confused about what you meant at the end about taking the time to set up custom styles and not letting registrations do that.

Thanks,
Chris
No, the status of the Freeze button cannot be saved in Registrations.

The purpose of the Freeze function is that the parameter group(s) previously set in the Freeze setting display (press "Direct Access > Freeze") can no longer be changed by Registrations, OTS or MIDI files. However, you can easily edit your registrations so that certain parameter groups are not changed when a registration is called up.

For example, if you don't want a particular registration to switch the current style, just re-memorize each registration button "back to itself", but with the Style box unticked (and at least with the Voice and Keyboard Harmony boxes ticked). Then re-save the bank.

Many thanks Chris for your help, this is exactly the solution I needed...!
You probably want Parameter Lock. Take a look into that.

Cheers,
Fred
Dear Rick,

I play my Genos (volume knob at 3/4) with a pair of HS8 (volume at 1/2), placed on Konig&Meyer stands set at hears height, in my living room, which is 750 square feet large.

They sound PERFECTLY any frequencies, despite technical specifications. Don't need Subwoofer: low frequencies sound perfectly.

By connecting Genos directly to the HS8 (I have a Mackie mixer, but tested that is better without) you get a clear, not manipulated sound.

HS7, that I also tested, are Ok, but weak on low frequencies: the speaker diameter makes a big difference.

When I want/need to play less loud, just adjust Genos volume knob at 1/2, and I still get good sound.

Finally, IMHO HS8 have an excellent quality/price ratio, if compared to many equivalent powered monitors from other brands, that I tested.

Ciao,

Angelo
Genos2 / Re: genos 2 arrived yesterday
« Last post by rattley on Yesterday at 11:45:14 PM »
Hello!

Enjoy your new Genos2!!  I'm loving mine more each day. I'm still blown away by the sound quality. It is just so "real"!!

I never knew about the StyMuteA and StyMuteB function. I think I should have!!   More things to try later...........-charley
Genos2 / Re: Genos2 Firmware update V1.02
« Last post by overover on Yesterday at 07:35:14 PM »
The current Genos2 firmware is now V1.04, so I locked this topic.

Best regards,
Chris
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk