Author Topic: YEM fun!  (Read 3269 times)

Offline rattley

YEM fun!
« on: September 04, 2023, 06:03:26 AM »
Hello!

Just having a bit of fun earlier this evening loading YEM stuff. Some of those free packs from Yamaha are very good! I especially like the Country and Celtic Packs. Just the voices in the 2 packs is pure gold.

This link goes to a song I made earlier. Enjoy!  -charley

https://ln5.sync.com/dl/16fe9a780/v8ee5waa-jbri9n9m-uajvhkvb-xy53gcij

Offline maartenb

Re: YEM fun!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 07:11:47 AM »
Yeah, those packs are really great!

Maarten

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2023, 10:35:14 AM »
What was the deal with these packs. Weren't they like $100 initially. Then suddenly free?

Does anyone know if there was a specific reason why this happaned?

The Yamaha website has always been really slow and awkward to navigate to packs and or midi files.

I bought a couple of midi files years ago for the Genos and they were set up rather well I have to say. For midi combined with the setup/mix and the Genos sound they were pretty incredible.
But just trying to navigate what was/is available /which songs and quickly see what I would like it all felt like a bit of nightmare, especially considering the files are so small.
Without Music, Life would be a Mistake.

Check out my Genos recordings & performances: http://www.youtube.com/andrewkeyz

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2023, 01:22:12 PM »
The Church and Christmas is also a very good pack for voices and styles.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2023, 01:38:17 PM »
There are some good voices in there. I really don't think the original asking price was a good deal at all, but now they are free they are well worth having. The Genos has 3GB space so as long as you've not filled it all with a huge grand piano sample there's room for several packs.

If you've never tried these packs, I'd encourage you to give it a go.

You don't have to use the awful website any more for the voice expansion packs, they are all available to directly download here.

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/contents/keyboards/vse/index.html
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 01:45:21 PM by DerekA »
Genos

The following users thanked this post: LaHawk, maartenb, pjd, YammyFan

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2023, 09:22:30 PM »
The Church and Christmas is also a very good pack for voices and styles.

I'll second that Eileen. I'm actually working on some new Christmas numbers using that pack. Some of the organ voices are really rich.
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline rattley

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2023, 12:02:32 AM »
Hello

If I'm not mistaken Yamaha made all those packs free during the COVID epidemic.  I downloaded them all then but never installed them.  YEM seemed like such a cumbersome  program back then. I'm sorry I didn't install them sooner. This is good stuff!!!!    -charley

Offline rattley

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2023, 05:21:50 AM »
More Genos fun.   

This "song" came from a 3rd party style.  It's really just a style audition. There is no right hand. I love the pipe organ in variations 3 and 4.  I think of pink floyd...............................  This style has potential. I just wanted to share it.  -charley

https://ln5.sync.com/dl/92df82b90/cfx2mx4y-76ihjmgn-3evbwtje-8be6qnf2

Offline Nova227

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2023, 05:00:29 PM »

Will the premium expansion packs listed for the Genos work all or in part on the SX 900 ?

Thanks

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2023, 05:15:49 PM »
Will the premium expansion packs listed for the Genos work all or in part on the SX 900 ?
All Yamaha expansion packs are now encrypted (*.cpf file) and they can only be installed on dedicated keyboard (for Premuim packs, that would be Genos and Tyros5 only).

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2023, 11:39:47 PM »
You have to download the packs that state they are for the SX series. The Genos ones can not be loaded.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2023, 03:38:24 PM »
I would like to know why Yamaha never designed sounds to be loaded in banks.
Simple usb in to load a bank instead of all the messing about with packs and Yem.
 :)
Just hope the new Genos will have a better system of sound design and a better way with a computer program to make styles.
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2023, 04:41:02 PM »
That YEM business appears a little complicated.  I tried reading through the directions yesterday for the first time.  There’s too many steps to follow from download to the keyboard.  The onboard styles and voices are enough for me.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2023, 04:44:18 PM »
Hi JL

Yes, it is a little confusing, but stick at it as it does click  in after a while.
I have not done it for a while as all is loaded , but i would have to go back to the manual again for a brush up.
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline ckobu

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2023, 06:06:19 PM »
That YEM business appears a little complicated.  I tried reading through the directions yesterday for the first time.  There’s too many steps to follow from download to the keyboard.  The onboard styles and voices are enough for me.

I agree, reading the instructions is tiring and then everything seems more complicated than it is. Watch this video, maybe it will encourage you to enter new materials into the keyboard.

https://youtu.be/abOb0fUIC2Y?si=5B3V1Mujx0lIj-96
activate eng subtitles