Author Topic: PSR E473 phone jack problem  (Read 2436 times)

PSR E473 phone jack problem
« on: February 23, 2024, 04:11:50 PM »
I just bought a new psr e473 and there is an issue with the audio ouput from the phone jack.  All the sounds are distorted and muted.  I have tried several headphones but same issue.  Anyone else  encountered this issue? 

Offline BogdanH

Re: PSR E473 phone jack problem
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2024, 05:00:16 PM »
A silly question... are you sure that phone jack is fully inserted (pushed in)?

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2024, 10:24:45 PM »
Hi

Firstly... Make sure that nothing is inside the socket which may be preventing your jack plug from going in properly. Use a torch.

As Bogdan advises, check your connections carefully. Also your headphone Cables which, especially on thin, cheaply made ones are very easily damaged.

But also check out any adaptor plugs that you may be using. The standard Yamaha size is 6.3mm.

If you are using a 6.3mm to 3.5mm adaptor to use   headphones with the smaller jackplug, make sure that the adaptor plug and the headphone jack has only 2 bands on it.

Other (Apple type) jackplugs which have 4 bands showing WILL NOT WORK with Yamaha keyboards because the internal connections do not line up.

Also try another adaptor plug. They do fail.

If you're still having problems, then you need to speak to your seller or Yamaha dealer.

Hope that helps

Keith

« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 09:02:31 AM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2024, 09:01:51 PM »
Is there a function setting to activate the phone jack?

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2024, 12:14:50 AM »
What are some of the headphones you have tried..... brand and model name?

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2024, 07:53:43 AM »
Is there a function setting to activate the phone jack?

No there isn't. Once you insert the headphone jack plug, sound transfers from the speakers to the headphones automatically. Do check that you are using suitable headphones for a keyboard, as Mark suggests.

If you've thoroughly checked out all the issues I and others advised, then it's likely that if you are using the correct headphone jack plug or an adaptor, then you need to talk to your seller or Yamaha to advise.
It sounds as though you may have a defective headphone socket on the keyboard, in which case Yamaha should deal with it under your warranty.

Keith.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 08:17:32 AM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2024, 03:15:24 PM »
I returned the keyboard and received a replacement and am having the same problem.  The main piano sound is fine through the headphones but if I play any other instrument the sound is muffled and reverb has been added.  I am using AKG Y600NC headphones.  They work fine on all my other devices.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2024, 03:43:47 PM »
..The main piano sound is fine through the headphones but if I play any other instrument the sound is muffled and reverb has been added.
-that's impossible. If sound is distorted for one instrument, then it's distorted for every instrument (incl. piano).

1. Make sure that you're using PHONES socket on keyboard.
2. Make sure that you're using stereo 3.5mm to 1/4" jack adapter and that it is working properly (try another one if you're not sure).
3. Make sure all connectors are fully inserted.
-if it still doesn't work, try with another headphones (any cheap ones should work).

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2024, 03:53:46 PM »
It appears the AKG headphones are wireless through BlueTooth or can be connected with a cable. I'm assuming that you are using the cable as the keyboard would not have BlueTooth to send audio wireless (unless you are using some kind of adapter from the keyboard headphone jack). The cable that is supplied with the headphones has 3.5mm TRRS connectors. As Keith mentioned this type of TRRS connector likely can not work correctly with an adapter (3.5mm to 6.35mm). You might try a cable that is 3.5mm TRS to 6.35mm TRS and see if that works.

Other possibility...........
Do you have speakers as well that are also turned on and putting out sound while using the headphones? The headphones have 'noise cancelling' and perhaps it's possibly that the noise cancelling of the headphones 'hears' the speakers and attempts to mute the what you hear in the headphones thus the headphone sound is muffled and seems to have 'reverb' (the audio processing in the headphones is likely digital and there may be 'latency/delay' which gives the impression of reverb). Can the noise cancelling feature be turned off? Or turn off the speakers if they are being used.

https://www.akg.com/Headphones/Over-ear%20%26%20On-ear/AKGY600NCBTBLK.html
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 03:58:43 PM by MarkF_48 »

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2024, 03:57:41 PM »
I now think you're using the wrong socket. LOOK at the back of your keyboard. I've had one of these keyboards. The Phones socket for some inexplicable reason, is at the back.

Keith.
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline mikf

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2024, 04:04:24 PM »
Firstly... Make sure that nothing is inside the socket which may be preventing your jack plug from going in properly. Use a torch.

Keith… In America that would start a fire, and get you sued…. ;D
UK and USA …..same language but different dictionary ;)
Mike

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2024, 05:16:52 PM »
It must be a problem with the headphones since this is the second keyboard.  I have ordered a Samson sr850 headset and will post with the results for those.  The AKG headset works great with my computer and iPad.  The issue could be the trrs jack

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2024, 05:27:48 PM »
Here is a picture of the cable

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2024, 05:58:18 PM »

Keith… In America that would start a fire, and get you sued…. ;D
UK and USA …..same language but different dictionary ;)
Mike

;D ;D Of course.... I meant a Flashlight of course... 😂 😂 You'll certainly screw your warranty big time if you set fire to your keyboard.

Thanks Mike!
Keith.

Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2024, 06:06:41 PM »
Here is a picture of the cable

RIGHT.... I now see your problem. You didn't read my earlier post.

Your headphones should only have TWO BANDS on the jackplug.

The picture you have shown shows a CABLE with THREE Bands  at one end and TWO bands at the other That's your problem. That's not a suitable cable.

Your headphones, no matter how they are wired up, should end up in a single plug with 2 bands.

Your headphones where you put it into the keyboard should just have a single jackplug or a jackplug with an adaptor with 2 BANDS. Plug that into your headphone socket. It will then work.

See the attached photos
Photo 1  These are my Roland headphones with the headphone jack. As the headphone jack is 3.5mm I have inserted it into an adaptor to fit the Yamaha socket which is 6.3mm.
6.3mm is the standard size of headphone socket used on all music keyboards regardless of make.

Photo 2   You can see the Small 3,5mm Headphone jack, also the adaptor. You'll see that both plugs have ONLY 2 BANDS.

Photo 3 shows the small jack inserted in the larger adaptor.

NOTE    ALL Plugs MUST HAVE ONLY 2 bands on them. You can't mix different types. They DO NOT WORK.

Keith. 🙂

« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 06:45:25 PM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2024, 06:45:21 PM »
nobleisrael,

You didn't mention if possibly the speakers were working when the headphones were plugged in. Evidently on the E473 there is function selection that allows the speakers in the keyboard to output sound even when the headphones are plugged in. As I posted previously, if the noise cancelling of the AKG headphones 'hears' the keyboards speakers it may try to cancel out the speaker sound, but also may affect the direct sound in the headphones making the sound muted as well as other artifacts. Just plug in the AKG's and see if the keyboard still plays through the onboard speakers.

Glad you have another pair of headphones coming to try out.

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2024, 06:50:12 PM »
Hi Israel

See my previous post... The op is using an unsuitable cable.

Keith
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2024, 06:59:06 PM »
Hi Israel

See my previous post... The op is using an unsuitable cable.

Keith
Depends on how the plug is wired out from the headphones. It likely is the problem, but it would wise to rule out other probably causes.

Please use proper terminology as TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) or TRRS (tip-ring-ring-sleeve) and not refer to the connections as 'BANDS'

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2024, 07:00:08 PM »
A link on TRS and TRRS connections and how they may differ....

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2024, 07:01:06 PM »
Yup, corroborating what Keith just said:

TRRS does *not* work on any instrument. TRS and TRRS are *not* compatible.
Torch is UK speak for Flashlight (when I asked for a flashlight in high school, I received a ton of giggles form classmates, as they'd never heard that term... they though it was a guy in a trench coat exposing a torch! BUt I digress)

Completely off topic now:

What we call aluminum, they call aluminium (extra syllable, and frankly, it sounds cooler, and more in line with fictional metals from the comics)
What we call a car's hood and trunk? They call bonnet and boot!
If a UK person asks you for a rubber, they're asking for an eraser. Not a prophylactic device.
What we called Liquid Paper & White out?? They call Tippex. (brand name thing)
Lorry means truck.
Crisps in UK is Chips to us.
Chips in UK is fries to US. Hence, fish & chips (is actually fried fish with french fries). These 2 caused me no end of grief when I asked for a bag of chips, and I got a bag of fries; and when I pointed to the bags of chips, they said "Oh you meant a packet of crisps!"
I'm not sure this is done anymore, but they used to say wireless instead of radio. This was back in the 80's now.
Squirrel is spelled the same, but pronounced differently (the UK people burst out laughing at our pronunciation; and likewise we burst out laughing at theirs)
Flat means condo or apartment. Which always made me wonder how they described a flat plane.
"To Let" means "for rent:. In high school it was extremely difficult *not* to take a marker and draw an "i" in the middle of all the "To Let" signs.
Queue is "line up" to us, but the word queue actually still means the same thing here. It just used to be extremely uncommon phrasing (not so much anymore)

I haven't lived in HK for almost 40 years (and it's not longer under British rule), so I'm sure there's some vernacular peculiarties I've forgotten.

Mark

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2024, 07:07:18 PM »
Do you know why the three band plug doesn’t work?

The following users thanked this post: Divemaster

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2024, 07:14:36 PM »
If you click on MarkF's post above, you can see that the Yamaha is expecting almost the entire shaft to be ground; by using TRRS there's no guarantee what's hooked up to what part of the TRS output of the KB's headphone output. And as stated by that article, the first clue you're using the wrong type is a lot of noise.

Mark

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2024, 07:16:41 PM »
Yup, corroborating what Keith just said:

TRRS does *not* work on any instrument. TRS and TRRS are *not* compatible.

Mark
It "may" work on an instrument depending if the 'MIC' connection on the plug is on the sleeve of the TRRS plug or if it is on the 2nd ring (near the sleeve) and how the internals of the adapter connects to the plug. Good chance it likely won't work for the case of the OP, but there is also a remote chance if the adapter mates to the plug properly it might work. Really depends on what standard AKG used for wiring out the plug.

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2024, 07:36:22 PM »

It doesn't work because Yamaha sockets are designed to work with 2 BAND plugs. That's how it is....
The inside of the socket will not match up with other configurations of  plug..

Apple just to be typically Apple, have 4 band plugs so DO NOT expect them to work with Yamaha keyboards either.. They don't.

Only 2 Band plugs work. Period.

A period is a punctuation full stop in the uk. 🙃

Have a nice evening everyone. It's 19.57  in the UK and snowing heavily here!

« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 08:00:48 PM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline mikf

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2024, 08:09:05 PM »
So many of these dictionary transatlantic differences can have unintended results ... If an American says he is going to wear suspenders to the office, or wear his knickers to play golf the brits will give hime some queer looks.  And if you tell an American to walk on the pavement you might get them killed.

But hopefully the cable will sort out the OPs problem.
Mike

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2024, 09:13:24 PM »
The TRRS plug has potentially three audio signal paths for headphone that also have a microphone. The Tip (T) of the plug is the Left audio signal of the stereo signal. The next Ring (R1) in from the Tip carries the Right audio signal. The next Ring (R2) can be either the microphone audio signal or the signal ground. Likewise the Sleeve (S) can be either the microphone audio or it can be ground. How the Sleeve (S) and the Ring (R2) are wired depends on what the manufacturer was intending for the headphones to be connected to. 
In the sketch below if the MIC is connected through the 'R2' (Ring) of the cable plug then no connection of the MIC is likely in the adapter and the audio should work OK. If the case is the MIC connected through 'S' (Sleeve) of the cable plug then the left and right audio signals do not have a proper signal ground path and may cause issues with the audio which is likely what is occurring with your adapter. I'm a bit surprised that AKG didn't provide an alternate cable that terminated to a TRS plug to allow use in devices with TRS connections.

A Triumph Herald, Triumph TR3, an MG Midget, and as well as a BSA motorcycle I once owned all had interesting owners and services manual with the differences in terminology for various parts. Was not fond of Lucas electrical components.