Author Topic: Adding a laptop to my Rig  (Read 828 times)

Offline Bernie9

Adding a laptop to my Rig
« on: April 05, 2023, 09:13:02 AM »
I want to add a laptop, with a notation program, and use a Ketron SD2 as the sound source. That is easy enough but I would also like to access the lead sound banks with my keyboard,
The module has a midi in and midi thru. I have midi/USB adaptors and a Kenton Midi Host, but don't know if this is possible.

Bernie

Offline overover

Re: Adding a laptop to my Rig
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2023, 03:30:41 PM »
Hi Bernie,

To connect the computer (the MIDI output of the notation program) and the keyboard to the DIN MIDI IN of the Ketron SD2 sound module at the same time, you could use an external MIDI Merge box (e.g.  2 * DIN MIDI IN > 1 * DIN MIDI OUT). However, then the question is how you switch the voices of the SD2.

If you have already connected the keyboard to the computer (e.g. via USB type AB cable from the USB-to-Host terminal of the keyboard or via USB-to-DIN MIDI adapter), e.g. for entering notes in your notation program, you could use a MIDI routing program on the computer to route the keyboard's MIDI OUT to the Notations app and the external sound module at the same time (or either one of the two). However, this requires some basic knowledge of MIDI.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 03:38:32 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)