Author Topic: Stability of the SX700  (Read 985 times)

Offline Denn

Stability of the SX700
« on: February 21, 2023, 08:52:27 PM »
Have just been reading through the post about the volume control knob etc. These are my problems.
The wonderful world of the SX700.

As you know, I had an engagement to play out today. I have been away 2weeks and the keyboard has been disconnected from the power supply. I am very tired so I switched on the keyboard to see if it still had lights, switched it off and went to sleep thinking that the program that I played last time could be used and the songs varied in their order. These registrations were all set up in the User Group.

Now comes the fun. Set up in the restaurant, turned on the keyboard, selected the first song and it played but the style was too quiet. Selected the next song and that came in but the style stayed the same.

The upshot of the system was that 4 registrations of the 40 that I on had completely gone! ALL the styles were reset to volume 80. Three registrations had completely different set ups.

All this is from the USER group, nothing to do with a faulty USB.

Trying to keep the FC7 pedal to Volume and not reverting back to Articulation is a nightmare.

Basically, my SX700 it totally unstable and unreliable. All my Yamaha keyboards have performed well, PSR 1100, PSR S900, Tyros4, All great and stable.

No idea what to try next except to bin it.

Regards, Denn
Love knitting dolls

Offline Robert van Weersch

Re: Stability of the SX700
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 07:34:45 AM »
All this is from the USER group, nothing to do with a faulty USB.
I always use a very compact high quality USB stick and not the internal memory, because it is easier to keep a backup copy synchronised. And of course I always have that backup with me when I have to perform somewhere ;)
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 08:30:47 AM »
Although I don't perform, I keep everything on Cruzer blade 16Gb memory sticks.
Never had any issues, and my keyboard is routinely  completely unplugged from the mains supply every night due to current energy concerns and exorbitant power bills here in the UK.
I back up everything on the memory sticks to my Windows 10pro pc, and then further onto a 2Tb standalone hard drive.
Roberts advice is 100%.
Don't chuck it out... Back it up.

Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2023, 09:28:32 AM »
hi Denn,
It's not my intention to sound rude, but the things you describe are almost always users fault. You can find many similar threads in this forum and you'll see, that at the end it always turns out, that the owner didn't fully understand how registrations work. And it means nothing if they say "I'm using registrations since ever" -they missed something (otherwise there would be no issue).
Not targeting to you, but I realized in this forum, that quite many use registrations simply because it's "handy": push button and everything is saved. By using registrations that way, they forget that "everything" can actually be a problem. Registrations are very useful, however it requires certain discipline and planning.
I know I didn't help you with my post... I am more trying to encourage you to investigate what caused the problem you have.

Just my opinion,
Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube