Author Topic: Chord Looper and MixMaster  (Read 7734 times)

Offline vlbrgt

Chord Looper and MixMaster
« on: November 22, 2019, 10:16:20 AM »
MixMaster and Chord Looper files.

Review of a Chord Looper file (.cld) has shown mlj that this is a simplified midi file with only chord events.
This only concerns the individual Chord Looper files (8 per bank), and therefore not the entire bank of 8 files (.clb).

With MixMaster, it is fairly easy to change Chord Looper files (.cld) or create new ChordLoope files.

Some remarks:
A cld file contains only meta events for chords. The recorded file on the Genos is always based on a 4/4 format.
The time span (number of ticks) in the cld file determines when a chord is played.

1. Change Chord Looper file in MixMaster

Load the .cld file from Genos to PC.
Change the extension .cld to .mid
Load the .mid file in MixMaster

Load the .cld file in Mixmaster
Go to ListView: here you see the chords that are stored in the Chord Looper file.
Since the file does not include a Time Signature (2/4, 3/4, 4/4, 6/8 ....), it is advisable to place one at 001:1:0000 (insert Time Signature), corresponding to the Time Signature in which the cld file was created. If no Time Signature is entered, it will be displayed as 4/4.

When a Chord Loooper file is created on Genos, often there are chords like C1 + 5 / G1 + 5 / ... .
These 'ghost chords' can easily be removed here.

The only point of attention is that after the last chord, on the next measure, you have to place another midi event. I use a Copyright text event (insert Copyright). This is necessary because otherwise the last chord will not be played in the Genos ChordLooper.
If the last chord, for example, is at 010:1:0000, then you need to place another midi event (eg copyright) at 011:1:0000 (DON'T USE a note event or).
You can add/edit/delete chords as you wish, taking into account the above (another event after the last chord).

You can now save the changed file as a midi .cld file. The name you give the file is also the name that will appear on the Genos screen in the corresponding Chord Looper position (1 ... 8.
Once the file has been saved, you change the extension back from .mid to .cld.
You can now transfer the file to the Genos, and import it to one of the 8 individual positions in the Chord Looper window.

2. Creating a ChorLooper file in MixMaster

Start MixMaster -> Open Library -> Blank Midi, Style, Clip Template -> BlankTemplate.mid
At 001:1:0000, insert a Time Signature that corresponds to the Time Signature in which the ChordLooper should be used.
You can now insert/Delete/Edit chords (insert Chord) starting with the first chord at 001:1:0000.
After entering the last chord, insert a Copyright in the next measure (insert Copyright).
You can now save this file and give it a name.
It will be saved as a .mid file. Save as .cld file.
Go to the folder where the file is stored and change the extension from .mid to .cld.
Once this is done you can transfer the file to the Genos and import it into one of the 8 ChordLooper positions.
The file name is also the name that appears in the individual Chord Looper positions.

Note:
Once you have created and imported the required number of individual files, it can be saved on the Genos as a bank.
This .clb file is just a combination of the 8 individual cld files, but due to the different file format it cannot be loaded into MixMaster.
If there is sufficient interest, I may want to consider making this possible in MixMaster.

---------------------------
Some personal ideas for using ChordLooper (in my opinion and as a non-live player):

Before I was able to play a style with the chords included in a midi file.
However, it was not possible to record this as a midi file on the Genos.
With ChordLooper this is now possible. I place the chords in ChordLooper and play a style with these chords, and I can now record this as a midi file.

User styles cannot be used in Step Record.
The system with ChordLooper can possibly provide a solution here because the Chord Looper can be used with all styles.
It is certainly not a substitute for Step Record, but I think it can be useful.

MixMaster download link:
https://www.psrtutorial.com/MB/mixMaster.html

Best regards
Etienne
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 07:19:48 PM by vlbrgt »
If plan A doesn't work, don't forget that the alphabet has 25 more letters.
Volbragte@telenet.be
http://Psrtutorial.com/MB/volbragt.html
Genos

The following users thanked this post: dragon, StuartR, bhergar56, Michael Trigoboff

Offline ugawoga

Re: Chord Looper and MixMaster
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 12:57:07 PM »
Hi
Yes, It may be good for a quick way to recording a chord backing track to put into Cubase to build on. pressing different sections in chord looper. :)
Or Genos sequencer. Then you have to get your drum fills in.

All the Best
John :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 03:24:43 PM »
I think a lot of people will use this for live play which I think it is meant for and leaves you a hand free for button pressing or joy stick use. If you just want to play along with it using your music then record it in MIDI.

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 06:17:27 PM »
Hello Etienne --

Thanks for posting the directions.

I posted a ZIP file containing the CLD files for The O'Jays "Love Train" in another thread:

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,52804.msg412042.html#msg412042

I created the CLD files using Mixmaster and imported them into a Chord Looper Bank. There are three CLD files: A section (chorus), B section (version) and Bridge. In case anyone wants to play along, the chords are:

A section: C | D7 | F | F/G
    B section: G | G | F | F | G | G | F | F | G | G | Am | Am | Dm7 | Dm7 | G G/F | G/E G/D
    Bridge: Eb EbMaj7 | Eb6 Eb | C C6 | CMaj7  C6 | Eb EbMaj7 | Eb6 Eb7 | Dm7/G | G7

I think CLD/CLBs have the potential to share song chord progressions without violating copyright. Chord entry with Mixmaster tightens up the timing and makes it easier to play/use slash chords with alternate bass notes. "Love Train" is a good example.

All the best -- pj

Online Dave Nuttall

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 02:08:13 PM »

1. Change Chord Looper file in MixMaster

Load the .cld file from Genos to PC.
Change the extension .cld to .mid
Load the .mid file in MixMaster
Go to ListView: here you see the chords that are stored in the Chord Looper file.
Since the file does not include a Time Signature (2/4, 3/4, 4/4, 6/8 ....), it is advisable to place one at 001:1:0000 (insert Time Signature), corresponding to the Time Signature in which the cld file was created. If no Time Signature is entered, it will be displayed as 4/4.

Greetings Etienne,
I created a CLD on my new Genos and moved it to the PC.
The "cld" extension was changed to "mid".
When I try to open the *.mid in MixMaster, there is a pop-up message:
"You cannot remove all the colons(:)"

Using MM v19r1 on Windows 10/64.

Thanks.
Dave
Genos, ProTools, Cubase AI10, Win10,  BIAB-2022, Sibelius Ultimate, MixMaster, PRSUTI, StyleMagic, StyleWorks, and Baldwin SF-10 acoustic piano.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 03:23:24 PM »
It sounds as if you have actually used what was originally a Chord Looper Bank file ('.clb') rather than a '.cld' file (which is just the contents of a single memory exported from a chord looper bank)!

MixMaster will currently generate this error if you try to import a Chord Looper Bank file, even if you have changed the extension to '.mid'!

However if you use an individual chord loop memory file ('.cld'), then MixMaster loads it without problems. 

If you then modify the contents of the file, save it from MixMaster, and finally change the extension back to '.cld', the resulting file can be imported into one of the memories in the currently selected bank in the keyboard using the Chord Looper display, and when activated, it plays correctly.

Regards

Ian

Online Dave Nuttall

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 03:43:54 PM »
It sounds as if you have actually used what was originally a Chord Looper Bank file ('.clb') rather than a '.cld' file (which is just the contents of a single memory exported from a chord looper bank)!

MixMaster will currently generate this error if you try to import a Chord Looper Bank file, even if you have changed the extension to '.mid'!

However if you use an individual chord loop memory file ('.cld'), then MixMaster loads it without problems. 

If you then modify the contents of the file, save it from MixMaster, and finally change the extension back to '.cld', the resulting file can be imported into one of the memories in the currently selected bank in the keyboard using the Chord Looper display, and when activated, it plays correctly.

Regards

Ian

THANKS Ian,
Tried another "save" and transfer and it reads OK!
Pilot error!
d.
Genos, ProTools, Cubase AI10, Win10,  BIAB-2022, Sibelius Ultimate, MixMaster, PRSUTI, StyleMagic, StyleWorks, and Baldwin SF-10 acoustic piano.

Offline Michael Trigoboff

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2022, 02:22:43 AM »
Quote from: Etienne
The only point of attention is that after the last chord, on the next measure, you have to place another midi event. I use a Copyright text event (insert Copyright). This is necessary because otherwise the last chord will not be played in the Genos ChordLooper.

If the last chord, for example, is at 010:1:0000, then you need to place another midi event (eg copyright) at 011:1:0000 (DON'T USE a note event or).

I was using MixMaster v21r11 yesterday to edit a Chord Looper (.cld) file. Everything worked, except the Chord Looper kept ending my chord progression one measure too soon. I finally fixed this by adding a duplicate chord right at the end (mmm:4:1919) of the last measure.

I just looked at this thread and see that we are advised to add a copyright message at the beginning of the first measure after the end to fix this. Wish I had seen this before wasting time inventing my own not quite as good solution.  :)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 02:23:45 AM by Michael Trigoboff »
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline sl01fr

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2022, 07:45:12 PM »
Hi everyone,

For mac users, the MidiKit app is able to edit chord looper files. I tried it and it works fine. The only point of attention is the same as MixMaster : after the last chord, on the next measure, you have to place another midi event, like a Copyright event, otherwise the last chord will not be played in the Genos ChordLooper.

Hope it is helpful.

The following users thanked this post: bhergar56, nonchai