Author Topic: Setting up my SX700 for MobileSheets  (Read 3201 times)

Offline Dupe

Setting up my SX700 for MobileSheets
« on: December 29, 2023, 08:02:41 PM »
In my Xmas stocking, I discovered a shiny new IPad. I can now use MobileSheets and transfer my sheet music and hopefully, using my foot pedal, switch my music pages, page by page while playing. Can anyone help me configure the midi settings on the SX700 please. I’m using a midi in and midi out lead into an iPad camera connector. My foot pedal switch is assigned to position 1, may be someone who uses MobileSheets can offer some guidance. I did look at Fred Smith’s Webb page, but it’s rather outdated to follow. Thanks in advance.

Offline Divemaster

Re: Setting up my SX700 for MobileSheets
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2023, 09:05:43 PM »
Hi Dupe

I too have a PSR SX700 and I do use the full version of Mobile Sheets, however I use it with a Lenovo Android tablet, but I don't use any kind of cable, so not much help to you on that.
Mine is connected by Bluetooth and is a Lekato © Pedal. The pedal is set up quite independently.

What pedal are you using?

I chose this combination so that I can simply change keyboards without having to use cables, as I also play a Korg Pa5X and it's easy to just put the pedal under either keyboard and play. The pedal and Mobile Sheets are automatically linked, and work seamlessly by Bluetooth.

I’ve no experience of using midi files. But I have got many thousands of them going back about 30 years. It's just something I never got into or learned about.

Page turning has become a dream since I transferred most of my pdf music to the tablet. I play from music scores, with both hands and the full keyboard. I also play from many physical music books that I own. I sight read, and play by ear.

I'll follow your post with interest.

Keith.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 08:43:22 AM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline Dupe

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2023, 09:56:05 PM »
Hi Keith, the pedal is one I made myself, initially as a sustain pedal, but seldom used it for that purpose. So I intend to use at as a “ next music sheet” foot switch. I’m a novice player, having given up playing many years ago, when I became paralysed in my right arm, wrist and fingers, apart from my thumb and first finger of which I have partial restricted use.
Anyway thanks for jumping in. Kind regards Dupe.

Offline ckobu

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2023, 01:47:24 AM »
Hi Dupe,

maybe this video will help you. It is about Android, but the principle should be the same for Ipad.
One important thing is missing from the video.
In MobileShetts settings, you need to select Genos, PSR SX600, 700, 900 as MIDI.

https://youtu.be/83KSbB5H-_8?si=QvNOeev13AOs9pjT
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: Dupe

Offline Dupe

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2023, 10:47:23 AM »
Hi ckobu, thanks for your reply. I did take a Quick Look  at the link, I will give it a try and come back if everything works out. I’ve already set MobileSheets for or my SX700, (thanks for mentioning that setting)  works and I can use my foot switch, then that would be ideal for me.
Let's see how I get on. Cheers Dupe
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 05:30:17 PM by Dupe »

Offline Dupe

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2024, 03:55:12 PM »
@ ckobu, Hi, I've got as far as selecting a piece from my SX700 playlist and getting the corresponding sheet music up in MobileSheets, on my iPad. At least I know the keyboard is sending data out. I just need to work out, how to get the foot switch to select the next music page.

Offline ckobu

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2024, 04:04:14 PM »
I didn't use the foot pedal, it probably says in the instructions for Mobilesheets. Good luck.
Watch my video channel

Offline Dupe

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2024, 05:41:23 PM »
@ckobu, thanks I’ll keep trying and post back if succesful. Dupe

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2024, 07:51:40 PM »
@ckobu, thanks I’ll keep trying and post back if succesful. Dupe

Most people use a Bluetooth pedal (ie, one that connects directly with the iPad) to change the page.

Do you have a Bluetooth pedal, or Yamaha pedal (connected to the keyboard)?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Lacko

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2024, 07:29:30 PM »
@ ckobu, Hi, I've got as far as selecting a piece from my SX700 playlist and getting the corresponding sheet music up in MobileSheets, on my iPad. At least I know the keyboard is sending data out. I just need to work out, how to get the foot switch to select the next music page.
Hi Dupe,
please can you post here the keyboard settings needed for getting the corresponding sheet music in Mobilesheets (and vice versa)? In my tablet I selected Genos, SX600/700/900, but somethjing must be set also in SX700 itself to work correctly and I don't know what. Thanks in advance.

Offline Lacko

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2024, 04:19:18 PM »
Problem solved. USB to USB doesn't work on my wife's new Samsung Galaxy A9+ tablet, but with MIDI to USB adaptor works everything OK.

Offline Dupe

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2024, 05:46:03 PM »
Most people use a Bluetooth pedal (ie, one that connects directly with the iPad) to change the page.

Cheers,
Fred
Thanks for your reply, I made the peddle myself using a micro switch. At some point I got next page to work with it, then discovered when I selected another reg on my SX700 it also triggered next page.
I don’t think midi transmit and receive settings are correct maybe.

Offline Dupe

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2024, 06:16:14 PM »
Problem solved. USB to USB doesn't work on my wife's new Samsung Galaxy A9+ tablet, but with MIDI to USB adaptor works everything OK.
I Lacko, this is the trouble I’m having, setting up the midi in/out ports and foot peddle assignment.
Glad you’re all sorted Dupe

Offline Dupe

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2024, 07:12:30 PM »
I'm having problems setting up the midi ports. I have peddle 1 assignment screen showing options, under Category, which setting do I select. Under Function, which function should I select. The midi transmit is not showing the peddle switching, If I press a note on my SX700, the transmit shows a corresponding light dot in response to the key pressed. I’ve clearly got in a mess with the settings somewhere, as at one point I had Next Page working in Mobile Sheets. The foot switch which is pedal 1 needs assigning, and the transmit/receive channels correctly set up to communicate with MobileSheets. Any help appreciated Regards  Dupe

Offline Jcort154

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2024, 08:14:48 PM »
Hi Lacko, I have a samsung tab S7 and see my SX700 in mobilesheets. You are saying usb to usb doesnt work? Im trying to figure out how to get the sx700 to bring up a registration that is tied to a song on mobile sheets. Can anyone help?
J. Cortese

PSR-SX700

Offline Lacko

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2024, 08:48:02 AM »
Hi Jcort154,
when you have imported some songs into Mobilesheets in your Samsung tablet, which is connected with SX700 via standard charging USB cable, select a song in Mobilesheets and select Registration Memory of the same song in SX700. Then tap anywhere in the middle of the screen in Mobilesheets and on displayed upper menu bar tap on fourth icon from left (something like pen). On new displayed editor screen tap on MIDI menu item. then tap on chain icon on the right side of MIDI screen (corresponding midi commands will then be displayed in the screen) and then tap OK in upper menu bar.
If the chain icon is not displayed, it means that USB connection doesn't work. Check if you have enabled USB MIDI connection in your tablet.
Then you can set if you want to turn or scroll pages and set corresponding parameters.

Offline reya

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2024, 10:22:52 AM »
I have a samsung tab S7 and see my SX700 in mobilesheets. You are saying usb to usb doesnt work? Im trying to figure out how to get the sx700 to bring up a registration that is tied to a song on mobile sheets. Can anyone help?

A while back, I made a step by step guide for using Genos or the PSRSX range with MobileSheets. See link below for the guide.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MD1Exfj9N1z_-UJPYLqXdAb0DbnqXfWw/view

If things don't work as described in the guide, there may indeed be an issue with the tablet or the cable used.

Hope that helps

Rudy

« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 10:27:35 AM by reya »
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets

The following users thanked this post: Jcort154

Offline Duurduur

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2024, 02:28:40 PM »
Thanks for the instructions about connecting mobilesheets with the keyboard. Just pity I can not download or print the file for later use in front of the keyboard.

regards, Ruud
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463
Logitech Z623 Speakersystem

Offline Lacko

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2024, 03:19:54 PM »
Hi Lacko, I have a samsung tab S7 and see my SX700 in mobilesheets. You are saying usb to usb doesnt work? Im trying to figure out how to get the sx700 to bring up a registration that is tied to a song on mobile sheets. Can anyone help?
Hi Jcort154,
in my previous post I misunderstood your question. Yes, I had problems when trying to connect my wife's Samsung A9+ tablet with SX700 via USB to USB. I don't know what I did wrong way, but I solved it by using my old MIDI to USB adaptor. It was first time I was trying MobileSheets app. I was very happy with that app, so I bought Lenovo tablet for myself and never met any problems with USB connection. Maybe I was doing something wrongly with that Samsung tablet.
But if you have any problems with USB connection, look at the very detailed guide above from reya.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 08:13:47 PM by Lacko »

The following users thanked this post: Jcort154

Offline Jcort154

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2024, 08:36:46 PM »
Thanks Reya and Lacko. I have a USB connection from my tablet to the keyboard. I will try your solutions and hopefully I get it to work. Thanks again.
J. Cortese

PSR-SX700

Offline Jcort154

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2024, 09:38:44 PM »
Ok. So I got it working. Had an issue 1st try. When I hit midi and the chain icon, it failed. I changed midi library to google and back to default and it worked. High-performance (USB only) also works for me. Thanks again.
J. Cortese

PSR-SX700

Offline Dupe

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2024, 04:00:16 PM »

Cheers,
Fred

@Fred Smith
Hi Fred. I have a foot switch, I made it myself for MobileSheets page turning. However, since my original post, I have changed to an SX900, which has Bluetooth! So a new question, does the keyboard BlueTooth handle data commands to match MobileSheets Song List to auto-select keyboard styles?

Edit: Reply text moved out of quote by overover
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 09:34:04 PM by overover »

Offline Bill

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2024, 04:44:36 PM »
Hi Dupe

I don’t have a sx900 but manual only refers to audio out via the Bluetooth. Another point most page turner that are used with the likes on songbook only have a limited number of Midi commands built in. 

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline Dupe

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2024, 06:36:01 PM »
@Bill, Hi Bill, thanks for your comments. Correct the manual does only refer to audio input via BlueTooth, but I'm sure somewhere I've read a comment for using the USB ports for linking MobileSheets to link songs with styles instead, I must look into it. I have spent the last week getting used to my SX900 and all its features. Very pleased with it. Regards Dupe

Offline Enildo

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2024, 11:57:21 AM »
Hi Dupe

I too have a PSR SX700 and I do use the full version of Mobile Sheets, however I use it with a Lenovo Android tablet, but I don't use any kind of cable, so not much help to you on that.
Mine is connected by Bluetooth and is a Lekato © Pedal. The pedal is set up quite independently.

What pedal are you using?

I chose this combination so that I can simply change keyboards without having to use cables, as I also play a Korg Pa5X and it's easy to just put the pedal under either keyboard and play. The pedal and Mobile Sheets are automatically linked, and work seamlessly by Bluetooth.

I’ve no experience of using midi files. But I have got many thousands of them going back about 30 years. It's just something I never got into or learned about.

Page turning has become a dream since I transferred most of my pdf music to the tablet. I play from music scores, with both hands and the full keyboard. I also play from many physical music books that I own. I sight read, and play by ear.

I'll follow your post with interest.

Keith.

Hello Keith!

How did you manage to connect the android tablet via bluetooth?
I've tried a few ways here and I didn't succeed.
My thanks in advance!
Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline Dupe

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2024, 07:32:34 PM »
Somehow this topic has been repeated, including answers to posts within. Can a moderator delete the topic, please? Regards Dupe

Offline Enildo

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2024, 08:16:37 PM »
Hello Keith!

How did you manage to connect the android tablet via bluetooth?
I've tried a few ways here and I didn't succeed.
My thanks in advance!
Enildo

Sorry for my stupidity!
I understood that the Bluetooth system is only for using the pedal to change the lyrics or sheet music page.
I thought it was possible to use the memory registers on the SX900 without a cable.

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2024, 10:39:40 PM »
Hi Enildo.

I simply paired it with my Lenovo tablet, and started using it. The instructions are in the box with the pedal. Basically it's as simple to pair with the tablet as any other Bluetooth device.
It took me literally 2 minutes.

There is no Bluetooth connection directly to the SX700... One of several reasons I chose it rather than the SX900.

I only use it as a page turner. I wanted a portable system that I can move between my SX700, my Pa5X and my Technics piano, and it does it perfectly. All my digital music is on the tablet in Mobile Sheets. It works very well.
One thing I have done is to change the Mobile Sheets background colour to a light blue. I find reading the music much easier than with a harsh white background.

Keith.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 07:39:05 AM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline Enildo

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2024, 11:52:53 AM »
Hi Enildo.

I simply paired it with my Lenovo tablet, and started using it. The instructions are in the box with the pedal. Basically it's as simple to pair with the tablet as any other Bluetooth device.
It took me literally 2 minutes.

There is no Bluetooth connection directly to the SX700... One of several reasons I chose it rather than the SX900.

I only use it as a page turner. I wanted a portable system that I can move between my SX700, my Pa5X and my Technics piano, and it does it perfectly. All my digital music is on the tablet in Mobile Sheets. It works very well.
One thing I have done is to change the Mobile Sheets background colour to a light blue. I find reading the music much easier than with a harsh white background.

Keith.

Thanks for the explanations Keith.
I'm using MS in the trial version. It would be nice if it were possible to connect via the SX900's USB ports and not via the MIDI port. If it were for the USB input, it would not be necessary to use an adapter on the tablet. The adapter generates excess weight on the tablet's output/input, which can cause damage. These midis/printer cables are generally thicker and very heavy too, which causes excess weight on the tablet's type-C port. We know that today MIDI communication via USB is possible.
Another solution is to buy an already adapted cable, Type C -> Type B (Printer), which already exists on the market. As it is not necessary to use an adapter with this cable, it is more difficult to damage the tablet port.
Other than that, MobileSheets is very good!

Enildo

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2024, 01:01:28 PM »
Hi Enildo

I am confused..... Why do you need any cables at all?

Mobile Sheets (Full Version) works from the tablet out of the box, and the pedal works from Mobile Sheets. Full version is highly recommended and is for life.

Keith.  :)

For handling MIDI files I use a Roland UM 1 Mk2 cable which plugs into the IN/OUT midi sockets on the SX and to my pc usb and handle any files with Audacity software which is free.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 01:07:20 PM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline Enildo

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2024, 03:00:01 PM »
Hi Enildo

I am confused..... Why do you need any cables at all?

Mobile Sheets (Full Version) works from the tablet out of the box, and the pedal works from Mobile Sheets. Full version is highly recommended and is for life.

Keith.  :)

For handling MIDI files I use a Roland UM 1 Mk2 cable which plugs into the IN/OUT midi sockets on the SX and to my pc usb and handle any files with Audacity software which is free.

It's a cable to use the Memory Records along with the song lyrics. Example:
Registry Bank: Elton Jhon
Register Memory:1 Skyline pigeon
When I press the RM 1 button, the lyrics to the song Skyline Pigeon automatically appear on the tablet.
I'm using the translator and my English is basic. Maybe I'm not being able to make myself understood. ;D ;D ;D

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2024, 03:30:30 PM »
No Enildo, your English is very good.

We English (British) are notoriously lazy about learning other languages.  ;)

Now I understand.

Keith.
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x

Offline Enildo

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2024, 05:24:53 PM »
No Enildo, your English is very good.

We English (British) are notoriously lazy about learning other languages.  ;)

Now I understand.

Keith.

You don't need it... English is a world language. We are the ones who have to find a way if we want to communicate with you! lol
I was in your country in 2019, I was improving my English...

Regarding MS, I hope that in the future it will be possible to fully communicate with the keyboard without the need for cables.
Thanks for the answer!

Enildo

Offline Enildo

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2024, 08:40:27 PM »
One thing that would be very important in MS would be the possibility of it respecting the "Freeze" of Register Memory. This way we could choose a letter and use the other voices without changing the letter. If it is more difficult to do this, the MS itself could have a letter locking function (a padlock). When the padlock was closed, the letter would remain still as in the Freeze function on the keyboard. It would help a lot!

Enildo