Author Topic: Midi 2 Style  (Read 1797 times)

Offline Rick D.

Midi 2 Style
« on: November 16, 2023, 12:23:32 PM »
Hi Guys,

I installed this new program this morning and was surprised that it worked fairly well. You do need to do some tweaking to get it just right, but for the most part it does a good job. Maybe with the G2 it will be better, because the G1 doesn't have some of the voices G2 has.
I did have problems with Sonar Professional not able to play them, as well as Audacity,  but when I put it on a USB stick and opened in G1 it worked fine.
Unfortunately I have no way to get my Genos near my computer, so a direct hook up is not possible, I am working on obtaining a laptop for this purpose.

Rick D.

Offline Des O

Re: Midi 2 Style
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2023, 12:39:42 PM »
I've tried a few midis, brilliant. Download the voice file for Genos
https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/contents/keyboards/downloads/content_data/index.html?k=&c=keyboards&l=en&p=4
Turn off the ACMP if connected direct.
Very impressed.

Offline BartW

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2023, 02:53:00 PM »
It may be that the best feature of Genos 2 that was announced yesterday is a FREE tool!

This software nearly infinitely extends the life of the Genos as we will be able to easily make new styles in the genres that we like!

Amazing. Thank you YAMAHA!

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2023, 02:55:52 PM »
Des O,

Thanks for the link to the Voice lists!

Rick D.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 04:09:30 PM by Rick D. »

Offline kiplis

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2023, 03:59:09 PM »
I've tried a few midis, brilliant. Download the voice file for Genos
https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/contents/keyboards/downloads/content_data/index.html?k=&c=keyboards&l=en&p=4
Turn off the ACMP if connected direct.
Very impressed.

Des O, How do you use this Voice List?

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2023, 04:13:08 PM »
kiplis,

Download it to your computer, unzip it and then from within the Midi2Style program import it, by going to preferences import voice list. Then when you are editing a sty within the program, you can select voices that Genos 1 has. This program was designed for Geno 2 and will be superior for that keyboard, but it works great for Genos 1 too.

Rick D.

The following users thanked this post: kiplis

Offline Joe H

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2023, 05:02:08 PM »
Hi Guys,

I installed this new program this morning and was surprised that it worked fairly well. You do need to do some tweaking to get it just right, but for the most part it does a good job. Maybe with the G2 it will be better, because the G1 doesn't have some of the voices G2 has.
I did have problems with Sonar Professional not able to play them, as well as Audacity,  but when I put it on a USB stick and opened in G1 it worked fine.
Unfortunately I have no way to get my Genos near my computer, so a direct hook up is not possible, I am working on obtaining a laptop for this purpose.

Rick D.

Where can I get the free midi to style software?

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2023, 05:05:38 PM »
I understand now Uday
The Yamaha site are expanded there list as the day went on .
I see the midi to Style program now
Exiting ain't it!!! ;D ;D ;D :) :P

All the Best
John
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 05:17:06 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline usaraiya

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2023, 05:06:16 PM »
Joe,

You can find it here:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/genos2/downloads.html#product-tabs

Midi Song to Style for Windows or
Midi Song to style for Mac

:)
Uday

The following users thanked this post: pieterpan

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2023, 05:27:36 PM »
So anyone tried this yet?  :)
Without Music, Life would be a Mistake.

Check out my Genos recordings & performances: http://www.youtube.com/andrewkeyz

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2023, 06:11:47 PM »
Not knowing much about MIDI files and style converting, I grabbed about 4 free MIDI files online of varying quality and opened them in this new application. I had some sucess with 2 of them converted into styles for my SX900 (and this is without even updating the voice list to SX900). A few of the MIDi files had errors during the drag and drop process on my Mac. This interesting new app leads me to ask some questions:

-what qualities should the MIDI file have for the best style results?

-what are the best online resources to find MIDI files for both songs and genres? I want to create some ambient/chill/new age genre styles

-the MIDi song files offered on here psrtututorial I assume are not ideal to use with this app because it seems many of them originate from already existing Yamaha styles?

Rich
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 06:13:24 PM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+, DGX-640,  E373

Offline robinez

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2023, 06:19:37 PM »
I'm very impressed with this program, it was really easy to create new styles for my genos 1 with this program based on midi files. It worked much better then I expected.

Then I also tried to use this program for the korg pa5x, and that works also with the convert through cubase trick (save as yamaha style in the editor, then rename it to .mid and convert the labels in cubase.)

So it's a very good and easy to use program, the recommendations for the channels and variations are really good and easy to adapt in the program if you want something different. It works flawlessly combined with my genos 1 (you have to import the genos voice list which can also be downloaded from the yamaha website) and you can use the internal synthesizer in that program to audition the style.

Great work yamaha !

Offline Del B

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2023, 06:25:02 PM »
I managed to download and install it but it would not open so I deleted it, maybe I will try a new install

Offline frozzers

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2023, 08:39:07 PM »
I'm very impressed with this program, it was really easy to create new styles for my genos 1 with this program based on midi files. It worked much better then I expected.

Then I also tried to use this program for the korg pa5x, and that works also with the convert through cubase trick (save as yamaha style in the editor, then rename it to .mid and convert the labels in cubase.)

So it's a very good and easy to use program, the recommendations for the channels and variations are really good and easy to adapt in the program if you want something different. It works flawlessly combined with my genos 1 (you have to import the genos voice list which can also be downloaded from the yamaha website) and you can use the internal synthesizer in that program to audition the style.

Great work yamaha !

I've watched some of your excellent Korg Pa5X videos.

Any chance you can do some for this software too?

Cheers

Chris

Offline rattley

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2023, 09:34:30 PM »
Hello!

I did more with this program in 10 minutes than I have done trying to make some styles from scratch before using different methods. The results are far from perfect but the final product is certainly editable. Need to get more familiar with its editing capabilities. This is going to help me a lot I hope.  Some of the the midi's I used came from the Yamaha  packs I had. They are maybe too busy.  I think simpler midi's might give better initial results.  Lot's to figure out!  -charley

Offline Patrick

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2023, 03:07:34 AM »
Hi this program is very powerfull; somme styles are great without editing them! Yamaha thank you as you've provide the voice list of the Sx900; Great software, all the best Patrick

Offline Patrick

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2023, 11:49:49 AM »
Hi all, also to add to the last post: the dynamics works great too with the styles made with this yamaha sofware on the SX900; very good news; all the best Patrick

Offline pjd

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2023, 11:07:49 PM »
This interesting new app leads me to ask some questions:

-what qualities should the MIDI file have for the best style results?

-what are the best online resources to find MIDI files for both songs and genres? I want to create some ambient/chill/new age genre styles

Getting started, I would concentrate on the MAIN and FILL IN sections first. Look for sequences in MIDI song files where the sequence (i.e., a run of measures) can be looped. Ideally, the notes in each section should be taken from the same chord scale. FILL IN and BREAK sections must be one measure, so you won't be able to grab long fill sequences from the source MIDI.

One possibility for source material -- factory styles! Chop, dice and hot glue a few existing styles for practice. Style files are Standard MIDI Files (SMF) with standardized MIDI markers. Rename a factory file to ".MID" and look inside with a DAW. Maybe import the renamed .MID file into the converter.

Whatever you do, have fun -- pj   :)