Author Topic: Genos I - Exit Stage Left  (Read 840 times)

Offline rattley

Genos I - Exit Stage Left
« on: October 25, 2023, 02:40:28 AM »
Hello,

Sometimes when things happen they happen fast.  Last week we were all in advanced anticipation of a Genos II being released. It happened yesterday. Today I already ordered one.  Now the real fun begins. 

I spent hours last nite playing my current Genos. As always it was a spectacular performance, At least to my ears.  I also started pre-planning my launch of my new Genos II.  Hard to believe how much Genos I stuff I have but then 6 years is a long time.  One of the best things about Yamaha upgrades is that all your old stuff should work. Of course there are a few exceptions.  I have always found migrating to a new keyboard to be most rewarding. Usually the results are an improvement all around.

Something I have noticed recently. I have been spending a lot of time going thru my entire style collection.. It goes back pre- PSR 1000. Most older styles play fine, some even surprise me as to how good they still sound. Yamaha's Legacy voices make that happen. In the process of auditioning all these ancient style files I have been neglecting many of the Genos I's  onboard voices. This week I started going thru all the Genos I onboard styles. In 6 years I never marked my favorite styles. Most of them are favorite styles from the past. 

After playing thru several styles right out of the box I again realized the beauty of onboard styles.  Especially the newer styles. They use so many exclusive panel voices not only in the OTS but also in the accompaniment voices. I'm especially  fond of what I will call "matched styles".  An example would be any style that is completely new to a new keyboard model. As opposed to an "edited" style that is recycled and recycled again thru out several models.  (not necessarily a bad thing)   Usually the newly created styles take advantage of the latest DSP and other audio effects. They usually employ the newest voices too.

Tonight I will continue my journey getting things ready for the new beast.   have fun!  -charley