Author Topic: Setting for SMF (Standard MIDI File) to use Genos best sounds?  (Read 1369 times)

Offline jimlaing

Hi - I seem to remember that on Tyros, there was a setting such that when you played a song that was a standard MIDI file (SMF), it would automatically (if the setting was 'ON') change the voices in the MIDI file to use the better Genos voices instead of generic "General MIDI" voices.  It made playback of MIDI files sound better on Tyros.

I have looked through the 2 manuals I have for Genos, and cannot find this setting.  Is there a way to have Genos automatically use (substitute) the better Genos voices in a Standard MIDI file, when it plays a song that is a SMF?

Thanks! -Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

Re: Setting for SMF (Standard MIDI File) to use Genos best sounds?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2023, 04:23:28 AM »
Hi - I seem to remember that on Tyros, there was a setting such that when you played a song that was a standard MIDI file (SMF), it would automatically (if the setting was 'ON') change the voices in the MIDI file to use the better Genos voices instead of generic "General MIDI" voices.  It made playback of MIDI files sound better on Tyros.

I have looked through the 2 manuals I have for Genos, and cannot find this setting.  Is there a way to have Genos automatically use (substitute) the better Genos voices in a Standard MIDI file, when it plays a song that is a SMF?

Thanks! -Jim

Maybe with the free MegaEnhancer Software

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2023, 06:15:24 AM »
I can look into this; I assume that's a separate program... can it convert
hundreds of MIDI files, or is it "one-at-a-time"?

I thought that way back (earlier Tyros) that there was a setting right in the keyboard, that was supposed to substitute the 'better' voices for any MIDI file that you loaded and played.  (but I'm not 100% sure of this; it's a memory from a good number of years ago).

Thanks!  -Jim

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2023, 12:24:49 PM »
Yes there was a re-voice button on Tyros keyboards but it in not on the Genos or SX900. You can do this easily in song creator step edit if you select the voice and then press the voice button it will show you what is being used and you can then select the voice you want to change to remembering to delete the original.
  It is time consuming but can be done.

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2023, 07:37:10 PM »
Eileen - thanks - yes, that was it, "re-voice".  I liked that since one didn't have to 'pre-process' each file ... it would just automatically use the right/best voices when playing MIDI files (if Re-Voice was enabled).

I don't actually play MIDI files often, but I have alot of them (accumulated over the years) and it would be nice to play them with the best possible sounds, without having to edit each and every MIDI files (I have hundreds).

If anyone has experience with the MegaEnhancer that was mentioned ... I'm curious about 2 things: (1) does it run on Macs, and (2) can it process or enhance many files as a 'batch' (versus having to use it on each MIDI file one-at-a-time?

Thanks! -Jim

Offline Drsun19

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2023, 07:35:49 PM »
Eileen - thanks - yes, that was it, "re-voice".  I liked that since one didn't have to 'pre-process' each file ... it would just automatically use the right/best voices when playing MIDI files (if Re-Voice was enabled).

I don't actually play MIDI files often, but I have alot of them (accumulated over the years) and it would be nice to play them with the best possible sounds, without having to edit each and every MIDI files (I have hundreds).

If anyone has experience with the MegaEnhancer that was mentioned ... I'm curious about 2 things: (1) does it run on Macs, and (2) can it process or enhance many files as a 'batch' (versus having to use it on each MIDI file one-at-a-time?

Thanks! -Jim

Hello Jim, Unfortunately MegaEnhancer only works with Windows but you can use it with Parallels on your mac.

You can process as many files as you want provided they are on the same folder. I find this a little bit unaccurate because the process is standardized for all of them (i.e. Brass ----> Mega Brass) (Standard kit ----> Pop kit) Not a problem but if you have i.e. a Beatles song it'd sound better with a different revo drumkit such as the vintage ones.

I use the software MIDIWORKS YA in which you can revoice your midifiles, change volumes, lyrics, harmoniser and many functions more.
Genos, Montage 7, Alesis Vortex Wireless 2, IMac 32Gb RAM, Lenovo Legion i7, Yamaha DXR 12, Cubase 10.5, Sample Robot, Style Magic YA, Keyscape, Omnisphere.