Author Topic: How to play the F/G chord?  (Read 3773 times)

How to play the F/G chord?
« on: January 13, 2023, 06:28:36 AM »
Press the inverted chord.
I'm having a problem that I can't find a way out of
On Genos, when set to Fingering AI Fingerd mode. To play the G/F chord, just press the 2 notes G and F on your left hand.
But I want to play the F/G chord, but I don't know how to press it.
In a few rounds of harmonies, the F/G chord gives us a rather pleasing color.
Can someone guide me please???
Genos + Motif XS7
More video about Genos: https://www.youtube.com/c/MaiDinhThangMusic

Offline Robert van Weersch

Re: How to play the F/G chord?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 07:56:18 AM »
I found this older topic on the subject. It seems that G-A-F should work. My T5 shows "F*/G" in the display and indeed I can hear some sort of F chord with a G bass.

[edit] Wrong order.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 08:01:16 AM by Robert van Weersch »
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 06:19:09 PM »
In AI fingering, you'll have to octave the G, and play the F chord in-between. i.e. G,A,C,F,G

In Fingered On Bass, G,A,C,F will suffice (in AI fingering that will give you F add 9 on a root bass)

What I usually do is play octaves of G on the left hand and any inversion of F on the right hand using AI Full Keyboard.

Mark

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 06:21:31 PM »
In AI fingering, you'll have to octave the G, and play the F chord in-between. i.e. G,A,C,F,G

In Fingered On Bass, G,A,C,F will suffice (in AI fingering that will give you F add 9 on a root bass)

What I usually do is play octaves of G on the left hand and any inversion of F on the right hand using AI Full Keyboard.

Mark

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2023, 06:25:37 PM »

Mark
That is what I would do as well, its the easy way when you are plying full keyboard. If I am playing more conventional arranger, with a split, I would normally play the octave G in the lh and add chord notes of F to my rh. But then that really only works when playing a multi note rh voice like piano or organ etc, and isn't too good if you are playing a single note type voice like  sax or trumpet. In those cases there really is no easy way. You have to use what you say above.
In all honesty I don’t get caught up too much in ‘chord correctness’ when I am playing, I go by what sounds good. And in that regard, if you are only holding the chord for one or two beats, the bass may matter more to the overall sound. Experiment.
Mike
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 09:26:30 PM by mikf »

Offline andyg

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 09:27:33 PM »
Depends on how fussy you are. For most players, the easiest solution is G A F, giving that F*/G. It's not 100% perfect but a darned sight easier than playing a fistful of notes including an octave. Will anyone notice? Perhaps, but my students have used such chords in Diploma level exams and I can tell you that at that level, examiners have good ears and are very picky! None of them have commented so far!
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

tyrosman

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2023, 08:07:10 PM »
this will Help you Understand AI Fingering   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEUVSYmmdcE

Offline maartenb

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2023, 10:57:53 AM »
From left to right on the keybed: g-g#-a-c-f

You'll need five fingers and it feels a bit awkward, but you'll get a "clean" F over G chord.

Maarten

Offline mikf

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2023, 07:07:23 PM »
A bit more than just awkward. I’m a very experienced piano player but would never try to play that kind of lh fingering. And if you use a lh voice the three adjacent notes would surely give a big discord.
Mike
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 07:28:36 PM by mikf »

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2023, 08:16:59 PM »
Why is there a g# in there? 3 consecutive notes actually would give a chord cancel, playing no chord at all.

Mark

Offline maartenb

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2023, 03:15:09 PM »
A bit more than just awkward. I’m a very experienced piano player but would never try to play that kind of lh fingering. And if you use a lh voice the three adjacent notes would surely give a big discord.

AI Fingering was designed to have maximum control over the chords and bass of the style engine, not to be musical pleasing on a piano.  ;) 

For the latter use case there is Fingered and Fingered On Bass, at the "cost" of not being able to play some chord/bass combinations with the style engine.

I see AI Fingering more of a "programming language" to tell the style engine what to play.

Oh, and you can still use a Fingered style of playing while being in AI Fingered mode.

Maarten
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 03:18:04 PM by maartenb »

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2023, 03:22:20 PM »
AI Fingering was designed to have maximum control over the chords and bass of the style engine, not to be musical pleasing on a piano.  ;) 

For the latter use case there is Fingered and Fingered On Bass, at the "cost" of not being able to play some chord/bass combinations with the style engine.

Maarten
Hello all,
I managed to play "The entertainer (Scott Joplin)" with this AI Full Fingered mode. This allowed me to use both hands to play the original piano score, while enjoying the live accompaniments of the style. The results seemed very interesting, but very few songs are actually compatible with this mode.
Regards.

Offline maartenb

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2023, 03:25:41 PM »
Why is there a g# in there? 3 consecutive notes actually would give a chord cancel, playing no chord at all.

When you add notes above the three consecutive notes, it's no longer interpreted as a chord cancel. The three consecutive notes instruct the style engine what the bass should play (the lowest of the three) and the notes above it define the chord. It's actually quite brilliant.

I use this notes setting for "Piano Man" by Billy Joel and "Clouds across the Moon" by the RAH Band. Sometimes a F/G sounds better than Fadd9/G.

You do have to be careful with playing this setting though, since if you don't press the notes at the same enough time, you will accidentally trigger a Cancel chord and disrupt your accompaniment!

Maarten
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 03:28:45 PM by maartenb »

Offline maartenb

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2023, 03:27:41 PM »
I managed to play "The entertainer (Scott Joplin)" with this AI Full Fingered mode.

I'd LOVE to hear or, better still, see you play it! Do you have a link to the recording?

Maarten

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2023, 05:22:05 PM »
I'd LOVE to hear or, better still, see you play it! Do you have a link to the recording?

Maarten
It was on Tyros 5.
https://youtu.be/KEWMoRzLF1o

The following users thanked this post: maartenb

Offline mikf

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2023, 06:07:31 PM »
Maarten
I think you missed my point. I know what AI is for, and how it works. My comment is that G G*A C F is such an awkward fingering shape that almost no-one would want to play it. The chances of getting it wrong much exceeds the benefits of technical correctness. Better for most to find an easier to play chord that gives a reasonable musical result if not exact accuracy. In most cases the bass is the important note musically as long as the chord doesn't grate.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2023, 09:32:01 PM »
When you add notes above the three consecutive notes, it's no longer interpreted as a chord cancel. The three consecutive notes instruct the style engine what the bass should play (the lowest of the three) and the notes above it define the chord. It's actually quite brilliant.

I use this notes setting for "Piano Man" by Billy Joel and "Clouds across the Moon" by the RAH Band. Sometimes a F/G sounds better than Fadd9/G.

You do have to be careful with playing this setting though, since if you don't press the notes at the same enough time, you will accidentally trigger a Cancel chord and disrupt your accompaniment!

Maarten

I didn't know you could 'program' the chords that way; interesting!

I'm still not sure how that's easier than G-A-C-F-G, especially since I'd just hold the top F & G with my thumb. But it's good to know it can be used for something other than chord cancel (but yeah, I can see people accidentally chord cancelling if they hit the lowest 3 notes first
Mark

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2023, 09:33:48 PM »
Maarten
I think you missed my point. I know what AI is for, and how it works. My comment is that G G*A C F is such an awkward fingering shape that almost no-one would want to play it. The chances of getting it wrong much exceeds the benefits of technical correctness. Better for most to find an easier to play chord that gives a reasonable musical result if not exact accuracy. In most cases the bass is the important note musically as long as the chord doesn't grate.

Ah yes, that too... if you can't easily hit G-A-C-F-G, the next best thing I would do is just  G-F. It's actually surprisingly close (just an F octave over a G bass)

Offline maartenb

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2023, 11:20:08 AM »
My comment is that G G*A C F is such an awkward fingering shape that almost no-one would want to play it. The chances of getting it wrong much exceeds the benefits of technical correctness. Better for most to find an easier to play chord that gives a reasonable musical result if not exact accuracy. In most cases the bass is the important note musically as long as the chord doesn't grate.
Hi Mike,

I agree that the fingering is awkward, that the bass is the musically important note and that in many cases approximations/variations of a (slash) chord will be better suited to a player.

I just want to point out that there are use cases where the musical benefit of a "clean" F/G chord outweighs the disadvantage of the awkwardness and risk of accidentally triggering a Cancel chord. I'm talking about the musical aspect here, not technical correctness.

For example, while for most styles the difference in sound for a Fadd9/G compared to a F/G is subtle, there are styles where the difference is more clearly. Sometimes it matters for a song, sometimes it does not. In the songs I mentioned in my above post, I really like the sound of the F/G more than Fadd9/G or F*/G.

Another use case is when I record the chord progression of a song into a DAW on my computer. Here I can quantize the left hand chord notes, so there's no risk of triggering a Cancel chord. With the computer I have all the time and freedom to go for the chord sound I like best for a song.

I love the fact that I have the choice to play variations of chords, so I can make the choice based on my specific needs and song. Live I might go for a Fadd9/G, while in the computer or while practicing I might go for a F/G.

Maarten