Author Topic: Learning a new Operating System  (Read 2599 times)

Offline Graham UK

Learning a new Operating System
« on: April 23, 2022, 12:13:46 PM »
Learning a new Operating System...Changing to a different keyboard brand...
I have been playing arranger keyboards for the past 50 years...Yes I'm that old.
Different brands' OS systems work in different ways but basically all of them at the end of the day establish the same end result.

I have owned Roland...Korg...Yamaha and I have treated all of these like a Sat-Nav. You put in your destination and possibly get 3 options but you still finish at the same place.
It's not good for one's brain to stay with one brand of keyboard because you become frightened to buy a keyboard which you may enjoy even more.

DGX670

The following users thanked this post: hans1966, Mikk

Offline hans1966

Re: Learning a new Operating System
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 05:15:15 PM »
Hi Graham, you are quite right.

I've had Yamaha arrangers most of the time, and one or two Korg.

Right now I'm enjoying my SX900, and I'm considering getting a second keyboard (No Arranger)
I am between the Korg Nautilus and the new Roland Fantom 0.

Both very good machines, but I love this last one because it is light. the 61-key only weighs 6 Kilos, compared to the 61-key Nautilus weighing 13 Kilos.

I love my SX900, but I want a second light keyboard, since I have had lower back problems, and the last complaint (flat tire, or lower back pain) has taken longer to heal.

The Fantom 0 seems to have very good editing tools to create rhythmic patterns, songs in an easy way.

Cheers

Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 08:11:26 PM »
 Hello Graham😀 I am a Yamaha blood fan, but last year I bought a Casio digital piano with arranger functions and TOUCH CONTROLS!!! Food for the aging brain😀😀😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline lmederos

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 08:29:26 PM »

Right now I'm enjoying my SX900, and I'm considering getting a second keyboard (No Arranger)

Hi Hans

I'm in a similar place, but debating between the Fantom 0 and the Yamaha MODX. 

Have you had a chance to listen to the Fantom 0?   The interface really interests me, but I can't quite tell how good the sounds are; I've read many reviewers that feel the Yamaha sounds better.

-- Luis

PSR-SX900

Offline lmederos

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 09:51:06 PM »

Hans

also, I found some interesting videos on the Fantom 0:

https://youtu.be/zOu_MoS28ZM

-- Luis

PSR-SX900

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2022, 09:11:12 AM »
Interesting that recently having purchased Yamaha DGX670, the OS Menu does not follow the normal arranger OS Menu which I was so used to...So even though I have not change to another brand I'm having to learn basically a new Operating System.

The benefit is that my aging brain does need to be kept active.
DGX670

Offline hans1966

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2022, 11:38:58 PM »
Hi Hans

I'm in a similar place, but debating between the Fantom 0 and the Yamaha MODX. 

Have you had a chance to listen to the Fantom 0?   The interface really interests me, but I can't quite tell how good the sounds are; I've read many reviewers that feel the Yamaha sounds better.

Hello Luis, I have tried the fantom 6, not the 06, which is the light version.

Although apparently there are similarities between both models, undoubtedly the Fantom 6 (flagship) has more controls.

Now, I personally feel that MDOX is much better in terms of orchestral sounds, plus it has one big advantage over the Fantom 0, and that is the super knob, which allows you to change multiple parameters at once.

I like the demos of MDOX, by Dom Sigalas, he gets a lot out of this great machine.

Another thing I like about the MODX is the smooth sound transitions.
You can go from a piano solo to a full Orchestra in milliseconds by using a foot pedal to control the Super Knob (freeing up your hands) or directly from the Super Knob.

Roland is excellent when it comes to synth sounds, and they have a very good tool which is the TR sequencer, and the Piano Roll.

At the end of the day, what really matters is what you are most passionate about in a keyboard.

I think that each brand has its pluses and minuses, and they are designed to complement each other.

just my opinion

Cheers

Hans

Offline lmederos

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2022, 02:22:23 AM »
Thanks Hans

I also found out that the expansion memory is only 256MB in the Fantom 06... that could be a problem for some.
-- Luis

PSR-SX900

Offline hans1966

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2022, 02:30:17 AM »
Hi Louis, you are right.

It's a serious mistake by Roland