Author Topic: Roland/Hammond 2nd keyboard compatibility with SX900  (Read 1313 times)

Offline Jeff_M

Roland/Hammond 2nd keyboard compatibility with SX900
« on: March 11, 2022, 03:31:34 PM »
PSR SX900 owner here, Hammond sounds are just so-so.  I'd like to add either a Roland VR-09B or a Hammond XK1.  Not being a MIDI smart person, can either one of these keyboards be hooked up so their sound comes through the PSR speakers?  I have no desire to bring the Roland/Hammond sounds down to the PSR keyboard; I'd like to be able to jump up to the new keyboard at any old time.  I know I can do it if I use my PA, but I'm talking about using it at home without the PA. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 03:32:43 PM by Jeff_M »

Offline andyg

Re: Roland/Hammond 2nd keyboard compatibility with SX900
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 05:49:04 PM »
You don't use MIDI for this, so no need to be 'MIDI Smart'! :)

The answer is yes. You just need a lead with two 1/4" jacks at the Hammond/Roland end and a 3.5mm stereo jack at the Yamaha end. Yamaha call it Aux In.

Note that the Hammond XK1 is an old instrument and there are many reports that spares are not available. The Roland is a current model. If you want a Hammond, you'd need to find a much newer or current model.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2022, 07:56:40 PM »
Hi Jeff,

"Just in case" here's the following note:

To adjust the AUX IN volume, go to the "Panel" tab in the Mixer of the SX900 and then touch the right arrow next to "Panel 1" to bring up the "Panel 2" page.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Jeff_M

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2022, 02:34:51 AM »
Good answers, thanks.

Offline andyg

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2022, 07:59:26 PM »
In theory......

Line out from instrument X to line in on instrument Y should match OK. Assuming that the Yamaha's Aux In expects line level, things should be fine.

I'd probably leave the Yamaha's setting where it is for the moment and start with the Hammond/Roland at zero on its master volume level (assuming that its line outputs are controlled that way, so check the manual) and then gradually increase it until you get the desired level through the Yamaha's speakers.

If you want to be safe, turn the Aux In level down to around 50-60% and go from there to get the sound you want.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com