Author Topic: copy and paste  (Read 2412 times)

Offline sugarplumsss

copy and paste
« on: December 28, 2021, 12:47:51 AM »
I asked this question long ago. I cannot find the answer I received. So forgive me for asking again.
How do I copy a registration and then paste it?
When I copy
then go to another location with intention of pasting, the paste icon is greyed out.
There is a step I have forgotten.

I tried copying from one of the drives, and then switched drives, and this permitted the paste icon to show up. But there is something I am missing with this procedure. I haven't been able to remain on the same drive to copy and then paste.
Thank you all in advance
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline sugarplumsss

Re: copy and paste
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 11:30:20 PM »
Why is the Paste button greyed out?
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 01:45:34 AM »
Why is the Paste button greyed out?

Because you haven’t told it what to copy.

After Copy, you need to select the file(s) you want copied. Then navigate to the destination and choose Paste.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 03:11:44 AM »
... How do I copy a registration and then paste it?
When I copy
then go to another location with intention of pasting, the paste icon is greyed out.
There is a step I have forgotten.

I tried copying from one of the drives, and then switched drives, and this permitted the paste icon to show up. But there is something I am missing with this procedure. I haven't been able to remain on the same drive to copy and then paste. ...

Hi sugarplumsss,

please note that you cannot copy files and then paste them in the same folder. This is because two files with the same name are not allowed within a folder.

So you have to change to another folder (or to another drive) to paste the previously copied file(s) or folder(s).

Within a folder you can save the currently loaded file with the "Save" function (under a different name) in order to create a "copy".

For the sake of completeness: It is possible to have several files with the same name in the same folder if they have different icons. Changing the icon changes the so-called "Icon ID" (e.g. ".T160") in the file name (in front of the file extension), and therefore the file names are different for the operating system.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 04:12:50 AM »
Because you haven’t told it what to copy.

After Copy, you need to select the file(s) you want copied. Then navigate to the destination and choose Paste.

Cheers,
Fred

Fred
I DID!  But Chris explained what I did incorrectly. aka same folder  same name issue.