Genos (12 Boards) > Genos - General

What a headache YEM is

<< < (9/9)

pjd:
Hi John --

Back to your original question. I use Sample Robot, too. Sample Robot has many options during sampling that affect the number of samples taken, their size, and how they are looped. All three of these factors affect the total size of a voice.

Excepting pianos, Yamaha itself rarely uses more than 15 to 20 samples in a single-layer voice. They do not sample every note. Usually the top and bottom samples cover the lowest and highest notes that are generally out of range for an acoustic instrument. Samples in between typically cover four to five notes each.

The other space-saver is looping. Often there isn't a need to play a sound from beginning to end. The beginning attack is the most important. Sustains are looped. Short loops consume less space. Everything after the looped portion can be trimmed, thereby saving more space.

Hope these tips helps -- pj

ugawoga:
Hi Pj
I never thought of that ,make the loop shorter.
I just made another choir sample, more jarresque and that looped came out at 200 mb. I used 4 samples with 8.5 seconds length before looping
I will have a few experiments making shorter loops.
I was trying to work a way of saving all sample made  and i came up with the 3 gig ceilng and format for Yem and Genos
I was also trying to get a yes and no answer where maybe there is a way around that.
So i thought make a base file in Yem and then a quickstall for next file to contain samples.
Install to  Expansion memory and from there transfer them to another usb stick.
I have found out that sounds in the expansion transfered to a new stick and say put one back in the keyboard user section,  it works.
So again why not delete the sounds in the file in Yem and make some more inside same file and quick install again.
By repeating that you could build up quite a few on a usb stick and just load the ones that you want to use.
I now understand if i deleted contents in the sample folder in Yem, that when i come to reinstall to expansion , i would again be confronted by a format situation again.
Surely if that happened i still have all those files on another stick to pick from as they were already in the Expansion and installed the correct way.
It would only mean a little more pain in waitng  sort it all out and get settled.
Can you see what i am thinking, or am i going loco??. I bet Chokbu thinks i am one over the cuckoos nest . Get Nurse Ratched!! Noooo!! " I wanna play trains"!! Choo Choo!! ::) ;D

All the best
John :)  I think it is the 31 degree heat ,not used to that here in UK :P

overover:

--- Quote from: ugawoga on July 21, 2021, 07:33:46 PM ---Hi Pj
I never thought of that ,make the loop shorter.
I just made another choir sample, more jarresque and that looped came out at 200 mb. I used 4 samples with 8.5 seconds length before looping
I will have a few experiments making shorter loops. ...

--- End quote ---

Hi John,

I already mentioned here that you can save sample storage space by using shorter note lengths or shorter loop lengths:

--- Quote from: overover on July 18, 2021, 11:43:29 PM ---...
If you use Sample Robot and specify "best" or "good" or "original" quality, the automatically generated / looped / key mapped samples / sf2 files will probably be relatively large.

However, you could achieve a lower storage requirement by ...
- using fewer individual samples, i.e. do not sample each key individually, but use each sample for e.g. three consecutive keys and / or
- using shorter note lengths, loop lengths or, for samples that have not yet been looped at all, use a loop (and implement the sound decay via a corresponding amp envelope). ...

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: ugawoga on July 21, 2021, 07:33:46 PM ---...
I was trying to work a way of saving all sample made  and i came up with the 3 gig ceilng and format for Yem and Genos
I was also trying to get a yes and no answer where maybe there is a way around that.
So i thought make a base file in Yem and then a quickstall for next file to contain samples.
Install to  Expansion memory and from there transfer them to another usb stick.
I have found out that sounds in the expansion transfered to a new stick and say put one back in the keyboard user section,  it works.

--- End quote ---

The "Expansion" folder in the User drive (which is 58GB in total on Genos) is NOT the Expansion Wave Memory (3GB, which we are talking about all the time)!

When installing an Expansion Pack, the Wave data of the Expansion voices are automatically copied into the Expansion Wave Memory. However, the user has no direct access to this memory.

The "voices" that you see in the Expansion folder are only "Voice Set" files (.vce), comparable to User Voice files that are created when you change a Preset Voice and save it again. If you copy "voices" from the Expansion folder to a USB stick, these voices only work as long as the associated Wave data is also available in the Expansion Wave memory. If these Wave data are later deleted (e.g. due to a later Pack Installation that no longer contains these voices), the copied "voices" on the USB stick will no longer work.

So there is definitely no alternative way to Pack Installation (via WiFi or Full resp. Quick Installation via USB stick) . Or in other words: Expansion Voices that you want to use must be installed. You cannot temporarily "transfer" them to a USB stick by copying the voice files in question from the Expansion folder and simply copy them back later or use them from the USB stick.

Best regards,
Chris

ugawoga:
Hi Chris
Now you have explained what i needed to know in your last paragragh
Yes,
  i was only looking at ways to get around the situation , but it seems you are always stumped by the 3 gig rule and Yem.
You get a vst like the M1 keyboard and you can load in what you want from a large banks. Same as FM8.
Would be nice if Yamaha devised a better way than this pack system. It is so out of date in my view and slow.
Thanks for your patience and Chokbu for explaining all of this .
Ok shorter files and not so many!! :)

All the Best
John :) :) :)   Ps, Why cant Yamaha sell there compression program??? " I'm sure that would sell"!! 8) " Can't win e'm all"! ::) :-[ "Musn't Grumble"! :-\ :-*
Should the next Genos be a Montage which is cabable of playing styles??? " For us Baby Boomers, Rockers and 80s synth generation. (Definitely not EDM though, because all you need is a flashing light sample generator and a kids win up toy machine). (Almost forgot ,you would also need a Moaning Myrtle singer and something to get you up to or on  speed.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version