Author Topic: PSR5700 style format - how can I read from floppy ?  (Read 31164 times)

PSR5700

PSR5700 style format - how can I read from floppy ?
« on: July 23, 2009, 08:26:20 AM »
Hello everyone

I have a PSR5700 keyboard and I whant to use diferent style`s on this keyboard,style`s that I intend to load it from floppy

I have a few problems
1 If I format the floppy on the keyboard , my PC those not recognize it any more
2 I do not know the style format that is recognized by PSR5700

Please help me !

I need you help !

Thank you
Aky

aprilla

Re: PSR5700 style format - how can I read from floppy ?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 08:46:11 AM »
If you format on the PC does the 5700 recognise it? I have a good few floppies I used on my 5700 way back (I still miss it) and I'll see if I can find them. I do know I joined here back when the 5700 was new and got a CD with loads that did work on it so you will probably find styles here that will work. I do believe they were .sty files.

There is a difference between the actual floppy formats too, are you sure you have the right type? Either HD or HDD My 5700 floppies are blue with no indication of what type they are  :-\ there isn't even a brand on them lol   THe manual or website should tell you. I have no floppy drive now to even try to find out, but also have no need of the collection anymore either - where are you? PM is OK

PSR5700

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 08:58:43 AM »
Thank you for helping me.

My problem is that I can not copy style`s from PC to keyboard and from keyboard to PC.

Also I do not know the right format.

Please help me if you can

Thank you very much

aprilla

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 10:54:05 AM »
First make sure that the actual floppy disc you are trying to use is Double Density type, if it isn't you aren't going to get anywhere.... the box might say something like HD or HDD, you need HDD.

from the yamaha website, PSR5700 specs = Disk Drive 3.5" double- density floppy disk drive

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 02:27:48 PM »
Unfortunately, there is the possibility that one or both of your Floppy drives is no longer in proper alignment.
This happens to most floppy drives over time and the only cure is to replace the floppy drive.
It could be one or both of your floppies only need a good cleaning - I have not seen a cleaning disk in some time, but
they used to be available from Office Depot.

Usually, you can write and read a floppy on the same drive, even if it is out of alignment, but a
floppy written on a bad drive can not be read by a good drive.

Bill G
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 04:11:30 PM »
The PSR-5700 format is the old 760-kb single density format. Unfortunately, most newer computers no longer support that format, which used to be an option with Windows 98 and XP. If you can find someone with an older computer and Windows 98, you can then format the 1.4 megabyte floppy disk by placing a piece of scotch tape over the open write-protect hole and selecting the 760-kb, inserting the disk, then click format and select the 760 KB option before clicking OK.

Good Luck,

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

milesmusic

Re: PSR5700/6000 style format -
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 04:37:02 PM »
Hi,

I just rejoined the group after 2 years, unfortunately due to illness.

I read with interest the topic (2009) on the PSR5700 which has the same format as the PSR6000, both these keyboards will not load yamaha sty files, the styles on these keyboards are in a different format, I remember that I needed a program, DOS or Atari, I think ,to read the style disks on the computer or copy from the original disk to a formated DD floppy. I did convert all the 5700/6000 styles disks to .sty. back in 2001, as far as I know they are still around. I also have the original 5700 and 6000 style disks, 3 from one set and 6 from the other.

I also seem to remember that Neil Blake did some styles for these keyboards, also the Yamatec Club did some in the late 90`s, so there maybe a few around.  The only problem is that unless you have a computer running Win 98 or you download a DD format program, copying is a problem.

I,m quite happy to share/swop the Yamaha styles disk for the 5700/6000 I have if there is a computer buff out there that advise me how I can get them off the disk using Win 7 or Vista..

Best wishes,

Brian Miles.

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 04:54:49 PM »
Brian,

Welcome back and hope you are well now.  8)

I think you might be able to do what you wish with one of those plug-in floppy disk through the USB connection even on a Win7 PC.

I have one made by Toshiba (about $20) and it reads all my floppies just fine and the styles are all there too.

Just don't know what you had to do to make the styles work.

Bill G

milesmusic

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 07:09:45 PM »
Hi Bill,

Apparently an option exist on Win7 and Vista to format DD disks, I did a search and it came up on the windows site. I,ll give it a go over the next day or two. If it works and I can copy the styles I,ll upload them if anyone is interested.

Thanks for your interest,

Brian

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 07:21:13 PM »
Okay Brian - that great!

Leo

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 09:33:52 PM »
Put a disk into the floppydisk, go to my computer, choose A diskdrive with right mousebutton,
and from that menu choose format with left mousebutton, and you will have a menu with format options.
That goes for all windows from windows 3.1 til today.
Leo

milesmusic

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 07:55:59 PM »
Hi,

Now have a formatted DD floppy by going to "run" type "CMD"  opens DOS, type "format a:", next step was to copy an original 5700 style disk to this floppy, that worked OK, Unfortunately still no able to see the contents on my PC, I have used the original "Atari" program I have ,that should read non DOS programs on the floppy but nothing shows. Next step is to see if there is a more up to date program that I can use.

Brian

Offline EileenL

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 11:17:04 PM »
Hi Brian
   I do remember that Diana had to use a special programme for this to let her do anything with the 5700 styles.

milesmusic

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 08:09:51 PM »
Hi Eileen,

Yes, Diana gave me a copy of the program, its the one I refered to "Atari", problem is I cannot get it to work,

Hope all is well, I have not forgotten the items I promised, I,ll find them out for you,

Best wishes,

Brian

Offline EileenL

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 12:26:44 AM »
Diana used to use it on an old 3.1 DOS computer. Thats going back a few years now.

milesmusic

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 02:00:03 PM »
Hi Eileen,

I,ll try running it again in DOS on my old laptop.

Brian.

imtiazchuttoo

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2018, 08:40:44 AM »
Hello Everyone

I just purchased a pre-owned PSR5700.  However I did not receive any additional style (on floppy) and am left to play only with those that are internal to the keyboard.  I was able to save the setup files to a floppy and imported to a PC and found that the styles (EUROBEAT styles saved at the custom styles location) for the PSR-5700 were not of the Yamaha standard.  Can anyone advise on the actual format of the PSR5700 styles and how I can convert standard SFF1 styles to the same format.

I attach here a sample of the PSR5700 style found in the Custom Style folder.  Please note I have renamed the file to .mid so that I can upload it or else the extension of the filename is a three digit number.  In this case 000.

Thank you

Imtiaz

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2018, 09:10:05 AM »
Hi

Sorry. I have no information on this old style format...

PSR 5700 was introduced in 1992 - 26 years ago.

The SFF1 format was used the first time - I think - in PSR 630/730/8000 introduced in 1996 - 22 years ago.

Jørgen
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

Kaarlo von Freymann

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2018, 01:19:25 PM »
Hello Everyone

I just purchased a pre-owned PSR5700.  However I did not receive any additional style (on floppy) and am left to play only with those that are internal to the keyboard.  I was able to save the setup files to a floppy and imported to a PC and found that the styles (EUROBEAT styles saved at the custom styles location) for the PSR-5700 were not of the Yamaha standard.  Can anyone advise on the actual format of the PSR5700 styles and how I can convert standard SFF1 styles to the same format.

I attach here a sample of the PSR5700 style found in the Custom Style folder.  Please note I have renamed the file to .mid so that I can upload it or else the extension of the filename is a three digit number.  In this case 000.

Thank you

Imtiaz

Hi Imtiaz.

I still have my is it 30 years ago bought 5700.  The styles and solos are fantastic. I bought all diskettes offered  at the time and still do have  them and I believe I can copy them on the XP machine I have.  There are two types, one that was cheaper, just styles and one that was more expensive containing also solos.  I will try and see if it works and let you know. As fantastic as these styles, both on diskette and internal are, they are not StyleFileFormat and at that time the style tracks were not output on midi though you could play midi files from diskettes. I am afraid there is no known way to convert styles in the format used now to work on the 5700.
As revolutionary as  the 5700 the styles and solos were, of course the voice sampling technology is notably inferior to the voices on later YAMAHA models. So I have been trying to get these styles converted to YAMAHA StyleFileFormat  to use them on Tyros and now Genos. which seems no-one has  ever found a way to do.  So it must be done by audio-to midi for each style instrument.

Will send you PM whether copying was successful.  As the styles are no more available commercially and the copyright has expire d long ago I believe there should contrary to YAMAHA soft midi files be no legal problems, but we will have to check that.

Cheers
Kaarlo

Offline EileenL

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2018, 02:08:38 PM »
With the Old Yamatech club Diana got a special programme from Yamaha to let her copy these styles that no longer exists

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2018, 09:30:03 PM »
I thought I may still have a floppy of PSR-5700 styles that I purchased nearly 30 years ago, then realized that I no longer have a PC that has a floppy disk drive. ;) I think my mind has gone to ****.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Joe H

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2018, 12:40:02 AM »
I thought I may still have a floppy of PSR-5700 styles that I purchased nearly 30 years ago, then realized that I no longer have a PC that has a floppy disk drive... 

Gary 8)

There is a slight chance of converting the 5700 styles to the current .sty format. It is a matter of getting the 5700 styles onto the hard drive of some computer. the process would be something like this.

1. With the right software... copy the 5700 floppies to an Atari computer that has a hard drive.
2. Copy the files back to an Atari floppy that can read by an old PC... with a hard drive
3. Copy the files to a current floppy format that can read by an XP machine or a USB floppy drive connected to a Win7 or higher machine
4. Now we can look at the files in any number of current MIDI software and see if the 5700 style files can be converted to the current style format.
5. Someone with the knowledge of Yamaha SFF1 and SFF2 structure would be required to convert the files plus have some familiarity with how the styles sounded on the 5700 and match up the current Voices so the styles sounded similar to the originals played on the PSR 5700.

Pretty simple!

;D

Joe H
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 02:15:30 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html