Author Topic: SX900 "tone" control  (Read 866 times)

Offline Jeff_M

SX900 "tone" control
« on: May 26, 2024, 12:51:53 AM »
I have a brand new SX900 set up next to my four-year-old SX900.  I've gone through both pages of the menu so the new one is set up just exactly like the old one.  Trouble is, the old one sounds better.  The new one has a much "flatter" sound whereas the older one seems to be stronger in lower and higher frequencies.  I've searched both pages of menus to try to get a handle on adjusting this to no avail.  Actually, I recall when I got my first SX900 it didn't sound as good as the S950 it replaced, but it seems to me that I discovered some way to address this.  At this stage I seem to have forgotten how to do it, if it is indeed possible. And FYI, there's a big difference between the keyboard on a new SX900 (smooth and quiet) and a 4-year-old one (loose and rattley). 

Offline p$manK32

Re: SX900 "tone" control
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2024, 01:48:57 AM »
Did you set the Master EQ in the mixer menu? I think the keyboard ships with the flat setting.

Rich
SX900, DGX-640, E373

The following users thanked this post: Jeff_M

Offline Jeff_M

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2024, 11:11:05 AM »
Did you set the Master EQ in the mixer menu? I think the keyboard ships with the flat setting.

Rich

That was it!  I changed the master setting from "normal" to "rich" and now they sound exactly the same.  Thanks!

Offline Noise

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2024, 03:26:00 PM »
Hello,
        I got a '' Yamaha SX900 and on my '' EQ '' I am fix to '' NORMAL ''  I'd like to set at '' Rich '' but I don't see this word on my SX900, so I set to '' Powerful ''  Is it same setting ?

Thanks,    Michel

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2024, 06:10:17 PM »
Hello,
        I got a '' Yamaha SX900 and on my '' EQ '' I am fix to '' NORMAL ''  I'd like to set at '' Rich '' but I don't see this word on my SX900, so I set to '' Powerful ''  Is it same setting ?

Thanks,    Michel

I need to correect my comment above. The “Rich” setting is for the Master Compressor. The setting I use for the Master EQ is a custom setting called “EQ Gold”. You should be able to find the settings for it in an internet search, but EQ settings are personal taste.

Rich
« Last Edit: June 07, 2024, 06:11:45 PM by p$manK32 »
SX900, DGX-640, E373

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2024, 06:24:08 PM »
Hello,

Thanks,    Michel

Hi Michel,

Rich (p$manK32), as he just noted, was talking about the Master EQ above (the default setting is "Flat").

Jeff (Jeff_M), on the other hand, was obviously talking about the Master Compressor (which he set to "Rich"). The default setting here is "Natural" (not "Normal"). You can also turn the Master Compressor off completely. Then the output signal has full dynamics. When the Compressor is on, the signal is "compressed", i.e. loud sounds are made quieter and quiet sounds are made louder, depending on the current setting.

The following Master Compressor types are available on the SX900:

• Natural: Natural Compressor settings in which the effect is moderately pronounced.
• Rich: Rich Compressor settings in which the instrument's characteristics are optimally enhanced. This is good for enhancing acoustic instruments, jazz music, etc.
• Punchy: Highly exaggerated Compressor settings. This is good for enhancing rock music.
• Electronic: Compressor settings in which the electronic dance music’s characteristics are optimally enhanced.
• Loud: Powerful Compressor settings. This is good for enhancing energetic music such as rock or gospel music.
• User1–30: To save your own custom Compressor settings.

The Master EQ, on the other hand, does something completely different; this is the actual sound control. The Master EQ of the SX900 is a so-called "parametric" EQ. The standard setting is "Flat", i.e. the Master EQ then has no influence on the sound.

There are a total of 8 frequency bands for which you can make separate settings. For the two outer frequency bands (on the far left "Bass" frequencies, on the far right "Treble" frequencies) you can set the desired working frequency. The Gain control then lowers or raises all frequencies below or above as desired.

The inner 8 frequency bands can be controlled "fully parametrically", i.e. in addition to the working frequency (also called "center frequency") you can use the "Q" control to set the bandwidth. A small "Q" value means a large bandwidth, i.e. a wider frequency range that can be raised or lowered with the gain control. A large "Q" value, on the other hand, means a narrow bandwidth. This allows you to, for example, specifically lower a certain, disturbing frequency (e.g. room resonance or feedback frequency).

The following Master EQ types are available on the SX900:

• Flat: Flat EQ settings. The gain of each frequency is set to 0dB.
• Powerful: Powerful EQ settings in which all frequency sounds are emphasized. This can be used to boost the music for parties, etc.
• Mellow: Soft and mellow EQ settings in which high-frequency bands are reduced slightly.
• Bright: EQ setting for boosting the level of the high frequencies, making the sound brighter.
• With Subwoofer: Custom EQ settings in which low-frequency bands are reduced. This is an optimum setting for using this instrument along with a subwoofer, such as the KS-SW100 (sold separately).
• User1–30: To save your own custom EQ settings.

Please see also pages 103 and 108 in the SX900 Reference Manual. If you don't have all Manuals yet, you can download them here:
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx900/downloads.html

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 07, 2024, 06:31:29 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: LaHawk