Author Topic: Serious problem with user memory GENOS 2  (Read 3333 times)

Offline lut112

Serious problem with user memory GENOS 2
« on: May 16, 2024, 08:13:15 PM »
This is the second time I've had a serious problem with user memory.
2 within 2 months after turning on Genos 2 today, the user memory was completely zeroed. All midi and audio files are gone. I had Genos 1 and never had such a problem. I don't know what Yamaha has to say about this. Such a problem is a useless instrument. The entire repertoire was destroyed, a tragedy. This is the second time and I am an experienced user. There is a guarantee, but I will not get the repertoire back

Offline ton37

Re: Serious problem with user memory GENOS 2
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2024, 08:46:21 PM »
Arrg.. surely a tragedy. I sincerely hope you have a recent backup (fingers crossed: and I realise that a backup is useles if you decide to leave the G2)...I guess you have lost your confidence on the G2, even if it is always a risk with all 'computer'-oriented hardware.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 08:49:10 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline bpsafran

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2024, 08:53:50 PM »
I have 2 usb sticks in Genos2. Every time I create or
modify a song , style or registration, or
even a playlist, I  copy it to both usb sticks and
the internal memory. So both sticks and internal
memory have the same data.
The usb gets backed up to a computer
once a week or so.

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2024, 09:20:39 PM »
Yep, even with my PSR-S950, there is nothing on the keyboard's hard drive. I use the USER area only of working on creating a new style.

Everything else is on my USB stick and the keyboard calls up every thing from there. All the styles and registrations with no issues ever.

I just have to remember to make sure that USB in my keyboard before I walk out to do a gig. But I do have a 2nd USB with almost everything on it in my BOX of chords and wires.

Offline lut112

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2024, 09:43:26 PM »
Of course, I have a backup from 2 months ago, but the current files are lost. I had Genos 1 for 6 years from 2017 and never had this problem.

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2024, 09:47:38 PM »
This is the second time I've had a serious problem with user memory.
2 within 2 months after turning on Genos 2 today, the user memory was completely zeroed. All midi and audio files are gone. I had Genos 1 and never had such a problem. I don't know what Yamaha has to say about this. Such a problem is a useless instrument. The entire repertoire was destroyed, a tragedy. This is the second time and I am an experienced user. There is a guarantee, but I will not get the repertoire back

Hi lut112,

It's always sad when something like this happens. But any data storage device can unexpectedly break and/or lose the data stored on it. Flash memory such as the eMMC chips installed in Genos models or USB sticks can become unusable "from one second to the next" for various reasons if you're unlucky.

Since you are an "experienced user", as you mentioned, you should actually know this and hopefully have appropriate backups on your computer and/or other data storage devices such as USB sticks, external hard drives or cloud storage services.

I recommend saving a backup (.BUP file) on a USB stick at regular intervals using the internal Backup function and archiving these backups on your PC and, ideally, on other data storage devices (a separate folder for each .BUP file, named with the current date). In addition, all files in the Genos User drive should also be backed up individually. The easiest way to do this is in USB Storage Mode. Here you can copy the entire contents of the User drive at once, so you don't have to copy each file type separately, as you do when copying directly on the keyboard.

By the way, many users format their USB sticks directly on the keyboard, as recommended. It is important to make sure that you don't accidentally format the internal User drive. Since a quick formatting method is used here, all internal user data would be deleted in seconds if "User" was selected for formatting instead of "USB1".

P.S.
I don't always have the most recent backups of my Genos2 data either. But I always copy at least newly created registration banks or other files changed directly on the Genos2 to the connected USB stick.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 09:50:08 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Michael Trigoboff

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2024, 06:50:04 AM »
Any time I put significant work into something, I do a Genos2 Utility Backup, copy the .bup file to a folder in my Microsoft OneDrive cloud, and rename it to include the date.

I learned the lesson of always backing up my work the hard way, but that was back in 1972 when I was just starting out in Computer Science grad school and had just transitioned from punch cards to disk storage.
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline RayClem

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2024, 12:11:26 PM »
Never trust ANY storage device whether it is onboard flash memory, a mechanical hard drive, SSD, or USB memory stick. Sooner or later it will fail. Always have a at least one backup of any data you do not wish to lose. I have a paid Dropbox account, but there are plenty of free online storage options. I have my Dropbox account synced to all my computers and also to a Network Attached Storage device with redundant hard drives. If any single device fails, I always have multiple backups of critical data.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2024, 02:21:12 PM »
There is lots of good advice here on taking backups.

But we are talking about a Genos2 here, which can only have been manufactured sometime in the last year. I *really* would not expect to be getting this kind of failure already, I would be looking to get a replacement keyboard.

Offline lut112

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2024, 12:41:44 PM »
It's good that I had a backup from March 2024. Since 2017, I always had the repertoire on the user disk and I transferred everything from Genos 1 to user Genos 2. I bought Genos 2 in November 2023. First failure  march 2024- complete deletion - erasure of midi and audio files and folders from user memory. The same failure happened for the second time, now in May. Now I want to run the whole thing from a pendrive and not from the user memory. I have a lot of work ahead of me in associating files with registrations. Time will tell if this will work well
« Last Edit: May 19, 2024, 12:52:59 PM by lut112 »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2024, 12:52:34 PM »
Remember that with Genos2 we now only have around 15Gb of user memory. This is soon taken up if you store a lot of Audio recordings. I always save these to my 64Gb USB under my Genos2 compartment which acts as my second hard drive.
Eileen
font]

Offline lut112

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2024, 12:55:11 PM »
My entire repertoire is 8.64 Gb and user memory is 15 Gb.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2024, 08:59:15 PM »
My entire repertoire is 8.64 Gb and user memory is 15 Gb.

This won't help now, but maybe in the future: with the type of memory used in usb flash drives, you should avoid filling it much more than halfway. Evert USB I've ever owned failed when I approached 90% full. I realize you're at just over 1/2, but I try to avoid going over half on a single stick/drive now.

Mark

Offline KurtAgain

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2024, 09:56:26 PM »
I'm surprised at how much understanding there is for such a serious failure. Stuff happens? Unless the cause is user error, I find it absolutely unacceptable that a few months old Genos2 loses its memory contents. This isn't a memory stick that has to be dirt cheap. I don't expect anything like this to happen, neither after a few months nor after many years. And actually in 2024 it shouldn't even be able to happen due to user error.

Kurt

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2024, 11:14:37 PM »
Oh, no you're right Kurt; he should at *least* get a warranty swapout for the internal memory, if not the entire G2. I was just pointing out that flash memory *really* tends to fail at more than half full (one of the reasons why the smaller 15GB flash drive instead of a 58GB SSD was concerning). I stored a *lot* of files on our store SSD, but still didn't even fill 4GB on the 58GB drive after 6 years. If I had filled more than half of the 58GB, I would have expected some sort of data loss, but I also would've requested a new drive under warranty.

It's not that we're ok with it; he should absolutely be getting some warranty help. It's just that anyone who's used to dealing with these issues isn't *surprised* by it (I've had more than 50 USB sticks at home, over 20 have data cascade failures).

Regular hard drives (HDD)'s don't have quite the same limitation, but as they fill up, they can get badly fragmented and slow down. A lot. This is what the T3, T4, and T5 came with.

Mark

Offline Vlada

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2024, 03:42:14 PM »
I'm surprised at how much understanding there is for such a serious failure. Stuff happens? Unless the cause is user error, I find it absolutely unacceptable that a few months old Genos2 loses its memory contents. This isn't a memory stick that has to be dirt cheap. I don't expect anything like this to happen, neither after a few months nor after many years. And actually in 2024 it shouldn't even be able to happen due to user error.

Kurt

I totally agree with you, it seems to be a defect in the EMMC memory chip. A colleague had a similar problem on a brand new Samsung Galaxy A54.

However, due to high-volume production, this can happen. A lot of people, especially older people, will not want to deal with a complaint and will be satisfied with external flash memory, because no one wants to worry and they want to enjoy their time.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2024, 03:54:25 PM by Vlada »