Author Topic: Discovered an error in the "Mellow Trombone" sound in the Genos2 Complete  (Read 745 times)

Offline musicman01

I discovered an error in the "Mellow Trombone" sound in the Genos2 Complete
pack.

Attention! the Expansion pack "Genos Complete pack" must be installed.

Here's the explanation:

Select the sound for example: Right 1 via user, Expansion, Genos Complete
pack, "Mellow Trombone".

Play the notes D4-A4 or E4-Bb4 quickly in quick succession, sometimes it
takes a while before it happens, but there is often a high peak tone that
can sometimes shock you!!

Attention! don't turn up the volume too high.

There are currently several owners who are also experiencing the same
problem, also on the Genos 2 forum Netherlands.

Offline EileenL

Well I can't make this happen. Have been trying it for the last 10 minutes and it works fine for me.

Offline Amwilburn

I tried as well, I was unable to hear any odd sound. (and remember, I could hear the spittle noise on the saxes and I'm even the one who discovered the knocking of the bow on the piezo pickup on the G1/G2 1st violin sound, and also the one who discovered they accidentally applied a mono dsp to the stereo Shake Brass on G2).

Mark

Offline musicman01

Eileen & Mark,
I tried as well, I was unable to hear any odd sound. (and remember, I could hear the spittle noise on the saxes and I'm even the one who discovered the knocking of the bow on the piezo pickup on the G1/G2 1st violin sound, and also the one who discovered they accidentally applied a mono dsp to the stereo Shake Brass on G2).

Mark
I must say that you certainly did not test it properly!
An email to Yamaha Support was enough to receive an updated "Genos2 Complete Pack" that resolved the problem!
So they heard it too.
Special thanks to Yamaha Support!

PS: if you play with the "Mellow Trombone" sound in the future, sooner or later you will encounter the problem, and if you then fly out of your chair, just think of this post!
But hey, then there's nothing to worry about, there are those who hear better ;D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 10:31:27 PM by musicman01 »

Offline Amwilburn

Eileen & Mark,I must say that you certainly did not test it properly!
An email to Yamaha Support was enough to receive an updated "Genos2 Complete Pack" that resolved the problem!
So they heard it too.
Special thanks to Yamaha Support!

PS: if you play with the "Mellow Trombone" sound in the future, sooner or later you will encounter the problem, and if you then fly out of your chair, just think of this post!
But hey, then there's nothing to worry about, there are those who hear better ;D

I have really, really good hearing for my age (I had to repair a customer's CLP because the Yamaha repair technician and the head of Yamaha Canada service couldn't hear above 16khz, so they couldn't hear the problem). And with a comp sci degree, I also have pretty good debugging skills. And I actually helped design the Yamaha CVP309 (yes you can ask Yamaha Japan).

What seems more likely is you had a bad download of the Genos complete pack (which, as noted by Chris overover initially did have a problem) which was rectified shortly after in November.
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?topic=67744.0

Were *you* able to notice that the shakebrass was erroneously monaural on day 1? or did you notice the spittle sampled on legato tenor and alto saxes? (which also shows up in other TOTLA, including PA5x? If so then yes, perhaps your hearing is better.

Offline Stijn

I made it happen, but in stead of "Play the notes D4-A4 or E4-Bb4 quickly in quick succession" I held down D4 and played the A4 a couple of times; then, due to the 'glide effect' you get to hear a weird high pitched sound.
But I wonder if a trombone is played that way.

@musicman01
Did you get the modified pack by email or is there a link to a download?
There is no updated pack on the Yamaha hub.

Stijn

I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

Offline Bill

Sarcasm will earn you many friends !!

England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline musicman01

Mark,

After 50 years of being a musician and more than 25 years of carrying out repairs and participating in the development of organs & keyboards,
developing sounds & styles, I think I know a bit about what I'm doing, don't I?
I have re-downloaded the package several times on both EU and USA support/download sites, last time 2 days ago.
I'm not going to make something like that out of my thumb and tell it on a forum!
It has already been confirmed on the Dutch forum!

@ Stijn send me an email and I will forward the link.

regards
Luke

Offline Amwilburn

I made it happen, but in stead of "Play the notes D4-A4 or E4-Bb4 quickly in quick succession" I held down D4 and played the A4 a couple of times; then, due to the 'glide effect' you get to hear a weird high pitched sound.
But I wonder if a trombone is played that way.

@musicman01
Did you get the modified pack by email or is there a link to a download?
There is no updated pack on the Yamaha hub.

Stijn
thanks Stijn. Actually *explaining* how to find a glitch is much more helpful, thanks. Usig Stijn's much more accurate description, I was able to get the really loud "ping" sound. It had nothing to do with anyone's hearing ability, mate. It's actually *even* more pronounced if you do it the other way around, hold the A4 and then rapidly repeat the D4 below, but you have to occasionally lift off the keys if you don't hear the ping for a few seconds.

That incredibly loud ping (sounds like the highest key on a piano being smashed by a mallet) is what I imagine a "Division by 0" error would sound like.

Mark
Mark,

After 50 years of being a musician and more than 25 years of carrying out repairs and participating in the development of organs & keyboards,
developing sounds & styles, I think I know a bit about what I'm doing, don't I?
I have re-downloaded the package several times on both EU and USA support/download sites, last time 2 days ago.
I'm not going to make something like that out of my thumb and tell it on a forum!
It has already been confirmed on the Dutch forum!

@ Stijn send me an email and I will forward the link.

regards
Luke
Fair enough, but stijn explaining how to get the error, or had you actually uploaded the repaired ppf file rather than insulting Eileen & myself would be more productive, no? Eileen has likely been playing for 60+ years; I started at the same music retailer I work at now *47 years ago*. I only participated in the development of 1, (the CVP309) so you've got me beat there.

If you redownloaded off Chris's updated link and it's a different package, then yes, it must've been a proper fix/update. But odd that they wouldn't fix it as a general download, no?

Mark

Offline musicman01

Hello,

1- I have not offended anyone, if so then you have a very short fuse
I just reported it and explained how to simulate the error.
It was tested on the Dutch forum and also reported by the moderator, so it was not that difficult to understand.
2- I am not going to just post a link on this forum because the administrator(s) of this forum regularly receive negative responses.
3- I won't respond to anything anymore, that seems best to me.

regards

Offline Amwilburn

Don't worry about it Luke. Based on some of the odd phrasing, I'm sure we can chalk it up to Google translate being inaccurate.