Author Topic: Yamaha Genos 2 vs Genos1  (Read 6644 times)

Offline DrakeM

Re: Yamaha Genos 2 vs Genos1
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2024, 03:32:58 PM »
I totally agree with Eileen, you can easily make any Yamaha keyboard fit your own style of music.

I just finished getting the Romance Latino styles to work with my PSR-S950 and heard some really nice acoustic guitar setups in the OTS of these styles. It will take some time for me find a place for them in some of my existing custom styles.  8)

The Genos 2 is the best sounding keyboard but totally to big to drag around and use for gigs.  It’s not a question of money but rather SIZE that makes it unpractical to purchase.

I am still patiently awaiting for the next SX999 keyboard to be released by Yamaha. Hopefully they will release it by this June or July, as I got ton of cash burning a hole in my pocket wanting to get out and stimulate the economy and generate some profits.  ;D

Regards
Drake

Offline pjd

« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2024, 06:33:25 PM »
I strongly suggest that we all can learn from the pro programming of the provided registrations and OTS.

That remark bears repeating! The Yamaha sound/style developers are darned good. To this day I learn new things by taking their work apart.

Peace to all -- pj

Offline mikf

« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2024, 07:15:40 PM »
Got to admit I found it a bit puzzling that you are making all these points about the piano voices, but then the sample you post has it mixed with a string pad, So it's not really a piano voice anyway.
I cant help feeling that you are way overthinking all of this. What you play, and how well you play, are mega differences compared to the tiny differences in piano voices that seem to bother you. If you were a world class concert pianist trying to figure out whether to buy a 150k Bosendorfer, or a 250k Fazioli, then maybe tiny differences matter.
But on an arranger, which doesn't even have a real piano action, and using voices mixed with string pads.......hmmmm ??? ???
Shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic!
Mike

Offline overover

« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2024, 09:59:44 PM »
I decide to sell Genos 2. If needed,  anyone in this forum near DC Areas USA could please contact me by message for phone number. Buying new with only 2 nights gigging.  Expansion CMS Grandpiano 1, CMS Nord Pop Piano, and many, full 3Gb.

Hi Hoang,

I've moved your post about offering your Genos2 for sale to the "Items for Sale" board:
>>> https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,69268.msg521408.html#msg521408

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2024, 11:09:27 PM »
That is crazy. Put tape over the "2".  :D

Good luck -- pj
Unlucky, my boss is a musician. He was in the kitchen but knew which G1 or G2 just by listening to the sound.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2024, 09:35:00 AM »
hi hoangbr2014,
I think, that in this case the discussion about difference between Genos1 and Genos2 is quite exaggerated -unless you have wrong settings on Genos2 or your boss owns Carnegie Hall.

As many of us here, I have watched some comparison videos where demonstrator actually tried hard to show the differences in sound quality between those two keyboard (advertising, of course).. and even then, it was many times hard to notice the difference (unless some effects have been used).
And you say that your boss notices the difference from the kitchen, saying that Genos2 is worse? Sorry, I simply don't buy that. I have a feeling that there's something else behind... "your older is better" is many times a sign that someone is trying to be smart (insinuating that you made wrong decision) or simply envy you -especially in case like this, where two keyboards are that similar.

Just my opinion,
Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline mikf

« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2024, 11:28:41 AM »
In all the hundreds of gigs I played I have had comments about the choice of music, comments about being too loud/too quiet - but never have I had anyone say I have the wrong keyboard model. That’s pretty invisible to listeners. The keyboard model might matter to the player, but seldom to anyone else.
Unless he is an arranger player/enthusiast, I don’t know how he would even notice.
Unless maybe you are constantly complaining and fiddling with sound adjustments instead of just entertaining his customers?
I have had equipment issues many times at gigs, but short of a complete loss of power or sound, I never let that be known to the listeners. That’s stuff the duck is doing under the water.
Mike
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 02:23:06 PM by mikf »

Offline pjd

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2024, 07:36:47 PM »
That’s stuff the duck is doing under the water.

I love this expression. Made my day!  ;D

I was going to (unproductively) tee-off on your boss's hearing. If he is really is a musician, I would ask him "What are you hearing or not hearing -- specifically?" If necessary, tell him that you're about to take a business loss on the keyboard and want to know why Genos2 is not acceptable, before you sell. He owes you an answer.

That's as productive as I can be on limited caffeine this AM.  :)  -- pj

« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 07:37:51 PM by pjd »

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2024, 09:40:44 PM »
I’ll just give my thoughts on this as well. I too thought the OP’s comment that the boss noticed the G2 sounded worse than G1 from another room is not logical, as Mr. Spock might say :)  And that other room was a nightclub kitchen, which probably is not quiet.

As an SX900 owner who might consider buying the G2 for it’s better piano, the OP’s G2 criticism is just too minor to sway me. I don’t doubt he is hearing differences in the strike sound, but this is yet another example of a subjective opinion of what a piano should sound like. Now he is selling the G2 along with 2 premium CMS piano packs he also loaded into it. I am figuring he has some expectations for a piano experience that probably can only can be satisfied with a high-end digital piano console.

Rich
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 11:30:57 PM by mikf »
SX900, MODX7+

Offline mikf

« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2024, 11:28:52 PM »
Never mind where he was, kitchen or wherever, I can’t remember a single hotel or restaurant manager/owner giving a darn about our equipment. They only cared that customers liked us and we were filling the tables every week.
Mike
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 11:32:01 PM by mikf »

Offline mikf

« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2024, 01:30:22 AM »
As an SX900 owner who might consider buying the G2 for its better piano, the OP’s G2 criticism is just too minor to sway me.
Rich , It definitely should not sway you. The OP is entitled to his view and it’s his money. If he is unhappy and can afford it, then writing it off is his prerogative.
If it was the view of a seasoned piano pro it should hold some weight with all of us, but I don’t think that is the case.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: p$manK32

Offline Oxford1035

« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2024, 01:49:50 AM »
I think I’d politely tell the boss where to get off, unless he’s footing the bill for the Genos 2, which I very much doubt.

Whilst I accept some people might not think they hear a difference, or can justify the cost of changing from Genos to Genos 2, there is no way in my opinion that anyone can say it sounds worse.The boss would be better of staying in the kitchen boiling eggs and leaving the guy to get on with entertaining the customers on what most regard as an excellent keyboard.

Russ
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 01:50:51 AM by Oxford1035 »

Offline mikf

« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2024, 02:42:51 AM »
Maybe the OP just wants someone to confirm his views to justify the decision to sell.
Mike

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2024, 01:46:25 PM »
Keep your G2 and just keep using the your G1 until late in 2025 when you tell your boss your G1 died. Tell your boss it is going to take a couple weeks to order yourself a new G2. Go rent a portable piano for those 2 weeks (or maybe you have a back up keyboard already to use such a case). You can then show up in 2 weeks time with your G2.

Using this idea saves you MONEY. You can then sell your G1 online.

PROBLEM SOLVED. But don't sell that G2 that is stupid. IMO

« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2024, 07:36:44 PM »
Having G2, but still gigging G1. I spend $250 on expansion sounds. If the price negotiation does not fit my needs, I will keep and try G2 for about a year and then sell it at any price after that.

It seems that many in here just play Genos for passion. I play for a living. It is very clear, that everybody, including customers, my boss, my girlfriend (singer), and even me, says Genos 1 sounds better than Genos 2.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 07:38:12 PM by hoangbr2014 »

Offline bpsafran

« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2024, 08:55:50 PM »
Perhaps it is because you know the Genos1 much better
including sounds, reverbs and EQ and expect them to
be the same on Genos2?  (And perhaps it must be EQ'd
differently in your venue.) I suggest that you treat Genos2
as a new instrument with its own characteristics
and learn its strengths from the Yamaha masters
that programmed the 1600 registrations included
in the Genos2 Playlist, with no expansion sounds needed.  Wishing you all the best and eventual
enjoyment of the Genos2.

Online Amwilburn

« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2024, 09:30:05 PM »
If the G1 sounds better to you great! You can save money!

I play for a living too (technically, as do several others here on the board), and everyone I've shown (all my customers, coworkers, and even my wife) all agree G2 sounds much more *real*.

But as Safran just pointed out, a lot has to do with the speaker/eq/compresser/mixer setup. When I ran the G1 (its own unique sample, definitely improved over the T5 piano) and the G2 (same sample as CVP909/CLP785 but with no VRM) into the CVP909 speakers, the difference became much more obvious. Through the GNSMS01? very little difference in the CFX, but quite a noticeable difference with the U3 and the Character Grand.

I'm just saying what works for you works for you, not necessarily everyone else (and likewise, what works for me works for me, definitely won't work for everyone) but Safran is correct; your speaker/eq/mixer setup has a lot to do with it

We have 1 customer, who has been trying keyboards for 25 years now, and he always says (oh, when i try it at my restaurant, it just doesn't sound as good as my old Roland JV80 (from 1982) and he's probably correct.

I told him to bring his aging keyboard in, and through the GNSMS01 (I daisy chain everything into the same speaker set) and he was shocked at *how* much better a Genos or PA5x sounded over his Roland. I explained to him; it all depends on what you have everything optimized for.

Mark