Author Topic: Yamaha Genos 2 vs Genos1  (Read 6531 times)

Yamaha Genos 2 vs Genos1
« on: March 16, 2024, 04:34:30 PM »
Dear all, After 3 weeks to load expansions and setting up for the new Genos2, I play to compare with Genos1. In my opinion, the sounds of Genos2 seem louder than Genos 1. Also, sounds Genos2 have more treble and midrange. Personally, I like the sound of Genos1 more than Genos2. Sound Genos1 is glitter and deep, but Genos2 seems stronger than Genos1. What about your opinion?

I updated after gigging on stage, Genos 2 have more midrange, but lack of treble.  CFX piano has problem with dynamic. When heavily press, no difference sound, jut only louder.

Updated: Here is the demo about piano to compare  between Genos 1 and Genos 2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrZZaiZR784

Best Regards
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 08:43:00 AM by hoangbr2014 »

Offline EileenL

Re: Yamaha Genos 2 vs Genos1
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2024, 01:18:50 PM »
I love the sound of Genos2 it is so much more alive. The new Ambient reverb works wonders and makes for a much more enjoyable listen.

Offline Laurance

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2024, 04:24:48 PM »
@hoangbr2014

If you cut all DSP’s of the 2 keyboards, does the Genos 2 sounds mor in treble and midrange area vs Genos 1 ?

The following users thanked this post: hoangbr2014

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2024, 07:54:08 PM »
@hoangbr2014

If you cut all DSP’s of the 2 keyboards, does the Genos 2 sounds mor in treble and midrange area vs Genos 1 ?

Dear, I will make a demo for 2 keyboards. Lats night first gigging, it shows clearly. When on Genos 1, when I heavily press the key, the piano sound makes a dynamic sound that can make a twist. When press on Genos 2, is not happen, sound louder, but there is no dynamic sound.

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2024, 08:43:53 AM »
Dear, I will make a demo for 2 keyboards. Lats night first gigging, it shows clearly. When on Genos 1, when I heavily press the key, the piano sound makes a dynamic sound that can make a twist. When press on Genos 2, is not happen, sound louder, but there is no dynamic sound.

Updated: Here is the demo about piano to compare  between Genos 1 and Genos 2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrZZaiZR784

Best Regards   

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2024, 10:10:14 AM »
hello hoangbr,

I don't have Genos and so here's just my personal impression from your video -btw. I was mainly interested on piano.

First part (CFX piano only): Honestly, I don't hear much difference and even the difference that I do hear, can be my imagination. If my hearing doesn't fool me, then compared to Genos1, CFX on Genos2 sounded more sharp (or aggressive) to me. This usually happens at more pronounced midrange frequencies, which can also be influenced by vibrance (or hall?) effect. I'm not saying which keyboard has more accurate CFX piano, but to me, piano sounds a bit more pleasant on Genos1.

As I said, the difference (if any) is very small and maybe noticeable only in direct comparison. Very important: I have listened with headphones and that can make a big difference. When we listen on good loudspeakers in actual room, the sound spreads across the room and we get quite different sound picture -maybe in that case the difference between Genos1 and Genos2 CFX piano are more apparent.
My personal opinion: CFX piano wouldn't be deciding factor if I would need to decide between Genos1 and Genos2.

Thank you for sharing the video!

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2024, 10:43:31 AM »
hello hoangbr,

I don't have Genos and so here's just my personal impression from your video -btw. I was mainly interested on piano.

First part (CFX piano only): Honestly, I don't hear much difference and even the difference that I do hear, can be my imagination. If my hearing doesn't fool me, then compared to Genos1, CFX on Genos2 sounded more sharp (or aggressive) to me. This usually happens at more pronounced midrange frequencies, which can also be influenced by vibrance (or hall?) effect. I'm not saying which keyboard has more accurate CFX piano, but to me, piano sounds a bit more pleasant on Genos1.

As I said, the difference (if any) is very small and maybe noticeable only in direct comparison. Very important: I have listened with headphones and that can make a big difference. When we listen on good loudspeakers in actual room, the sound spreads across the room and we get quite different sound picture -maybe in that case the difference between Genos1 and Genos2 CFX piano are more apparent.
My personal opinion: CFX piano wouldn't be deciding factor if I would need to decide between Genos1 and Genos2.

Thank you for sharing the video!

Bogdan
Dear, thank you for your reply, I agree with you that "piano sounds a bit more pleasant on Genos1". The problem with CFX on Genos2 is that, when I strongly press on keys, no sound difference. When I heavily press on Genos1 CFX, it makes a pop sound.  In 3 weeks, I felt something wrong on Geenos2. I went to the Guitar Center to test. The sound is the same as my Genos2 at home. Currently, I only feel pleasant when play Genos1, but I know some advances on Genos2 such as Effect or sound stronger than.  Thank you very much.
Best Regards

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2024, 06:25:55 PM »
Hi --

I'm not sure what you mean by a "pop sound." I'm playing Genos1 at home and it sounds OK to me. Perhaps Yamaha revised the CFX attack on Genos2? Maybe they cleaned up the piano samples in Genos2?

This is all guessing. Still, I hope you enjoy your instruments and you're lucky to have both models!  ;D

All the best -- pj

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2024, 08:19:20 PM »
Hi --

I'm not sure what you mean by a "pop sound." I'm playing Genos1 at home and it sounds OK to me. Perhaps Yamaha revised the CFX attack on Genos2? Maybe they cleaned up the piano samples in Genos2?

This is all guessing. Still, I hope you enjoy your instruments and you're lucky to have both models!  ;D

All the best -- pj

Dear, sorry my  English is bad. I mean that Piano on Genos1 is better than Genos 2. The "pop sound" is a good dynamic sound caused by the hammer action keyboard, which means a good sound. I prefer Genos 1 Piano due to having this sound, but Genos2 is not. Piano sample each layer has its practical sound, for example, when we make a hard strike on key, it makes sound like hammer action keyboard on piano.

Btw, I have to sell one: G2 or G1, because I need only one.

Thanks
Best Regard
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 08:33:52 PM by hoangbr2014 »

Offline mikf

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2024, 11:20:19 PM »
Anyone who has ever played a real CFX grand knows that it is a very ‘sharp’ sounding piano. In fact that is why it is a very common choice in studios, and by pop artists, - it really cuts through the other instruments.
Some people like that sound - some like warmer sounding pianos, like Bosendorfer or Shigeru.
Mike

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2024, 03:58:04 AM »
I would like that the Genos 2 keyboard still has all the Genos 1 piano sounds as well does it not?

Yamaha has always included previous voices and just added to their library of voices, I thought.

The following users thanked this post: Keyboard Master, hoangbr2014, TheBitfiddler

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2024, 07:06:10 AM »
In the G2's Data List only "Concert Grand" is listed in the Legacy section. No mention of the CFX, at least from what I can tell, because for some reason Yamaha provided the list in Excel format which opens up as a mess as a PDF. Perhaps the G1's CFX's takes up too much memory to include in Legacy.

Rich
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 07:08:34 AM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

The following users thanked this post: pjd, hoangbr2014

Offline Laurance

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2024, 08:40:53 AM »
Thanks for taking time to finally make a short / good demonstration.

Even if I would have preferred a test without any DSP effects to listen only to the quality of the audio converters of each keyboard

but, as I said in other discussions, all the demonstrations of the new Genos 2 to my ears sound the same,

personally I prefer the sound of the Genos 1 in this video

as I also prefer the sound of Montage M which is unfortunately still not available around me.

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2024, 02:05:46 PM »
I would like that the Genos 2 keyboard still has all the Genos 1 piano sounds as well does it not?

Yamaha has always included previous voices and just added to their library of voices, I thought.

I think that the CFX on Genos2 is new, not like Genos1. The problem is no dynamic voice due to the lack of layers. Hard strike on keys, but no dynamic sound shows up.
Best Regards

Offline bpsafran

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2024, 02:52:12 PM »
Please check your settings on keyboard touch. There are several
options including in that has no dynamics.
Perhaps you used a regustration that has set this option

Offline mikf

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2024, 03:19:56 PM »
A few comments -
1. when doing this kind of comparison please be clear which keyboard is which, don’t assume that everyone is so familiar with both keyboards they can identify small visual differences ……, I couldn’t.
2. My understanding is that the keyboards have different keybeds. That would also make a difference to response/sound. As a piano player, I make the point here  all the time that the key response is a bigger differentiator than the voice …. Provided the voice is acceptably good.
3. there  is a very slight difference in sound, but both sound like very good and realistic piano voices. Frankly I wouldn't care too much which one I played.
4. if I audition two actual CFX pianos in a store they would not be identical, and I might notice subtle sound and feel difference.

All top quality pianos sound great to me, ……different, but great. But they don’t all FEEL the same and that affects sound as well as touch. The real reason that concert players often insist on Steinway is not because they sound way better, or even feel better ….it’s because that’s what they practice on and what is in most concert halls ( the result of great marketing rather than best quality) and they want familiar feel.
Mike

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2024, 03:44:35 PM »
@Mike
Ok, I recognized which one is which immediately... but if comparing, then the point is which is better: the one on bottom or the one on the top -if there's difference at all  :)
I'm pretty sure that Genos1 and Genos2 have the same keybed.. otherwise Yamaha would for sure advertise keybed improvement  :)
I agree on the rest what you say.

Bogdan

Offline EileenL

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2024, 05:17:42 PM »
Yes they have the same key bed but Genos 2 has some lovely new piano's which sound just beautiful especially the New Character Grand. You always need to hear these sort of demo's played live on the actual keyboard. Recordings vary so much.

Offline pjd

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2024, 05:18:34 PM »
Dear, sorry my  English is bad. I mean that Piano on Genos1 is better than Genos 2. The "pop sound" is a good dynamic sound caused by the hammer action keyboard, which means a good sound.

Ha-ha! My bad! You're looking for a good piano tone that is suitable for pop (popular) music.  :D

The Montage (gen 1) players craved the C7 piano for rock/pop. C7 pianos are often used for this kind of music. Genos1 had the C7 before Montage M (gen 2).

With all of the new acoustic pianos in Genos2, hopefully, one of those pianos would be suitable?

Yamaha definitely reworked the CFX for Genos2. Perhaps the touch response was affected? It will be a long while before I see and play a Genos2 in person...

I generally agree with Mike (mikf). The FSX keybed is better than the PSRs, but still isn't as responsive as Yamaha's mid- to upper-range digital pianos.

Sorry for my earlier misunderstanding -- pj
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 05:20:02 PM by pjd »

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2024, 06:00:29 PM »
Please check your settings on keyboard touch. There are several
options including in that has no dynamics.
Perhaps you used a regustration that has set this option

Thanks for your reply. I know that, setting the same two keyboards, even Genos2 set to Hard1 or Hard2, still sounds the same.

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2024, 06:19:05 PM »
Ha-ha! My bad! You're looking for a good piano tone that is suitable for pop (popular) music.  :D

The Montage (gen 1) players craved the C7 piano for rock/pop. C7 pianos are often used for this kind of music. Genos1 had the C7 before Montage M (gen 2).

With all of the new acoustic pianos in Genos2, hopefully, one of those pianos would be suitable?

Yamaha definitely reworked the CFX for Genos2. Perhaps the touch response was affected? It will be a long while before I see and play a Genos2 in person...

I generally agree with Mike (mikf). The FSX keybed is better than the PSRs, but still isn't as responsive as Yamaha's mid- to upper-range digital pianos.

Sorry for my earlier misunderstanding -- pj

Hi, I have only one time gigging on stage with Genos 2. This week, I will play it again on stage. Wait and see how sounding. Currently, I am very disappointed about CFX Piano on Genos 2. I will keep my Genos 1 for several months and decide to sell Gonos2 or Genos1 later.

Thanks

Offline mikf

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2024, 06:48:02 PM »
Surely the decision about which one to keep does not hang on the CFX piano. Especially since most of us hardly hear any difference. It’s tiny at the most. It’s like deciding which house to buy based on a slight difference in the sound of the door bell.
Mike

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2024, 07:42:28 PM »

I put the 2 CFX's up side by side, and the G1's is thinner and less warm; but if you want a more pronounced dynamic, you should be using the Character Grand or the C7; the CFX is all about subtle and smooth. You must also hate the Felt Grand, which is even more subtle!
The Rock variation of the Character Grand is particularly punchy; the U1 and tHe U3 uprights are both pretty bright and dynamic as well.

And for once, no, they didn't include the previous version of the CFX in the G2

Mark

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2024, 06:17:15 AM »
I put the 2 CFX's up side by side, and the G1's is thinner and less warm; but if you want a more pronounced dynamic, you should be using the Character Grand or the C7; the CFX is all about subtle and smooth. You must also hate the Felt Grand, which is even more subtle!
The Rock variation of the Character Grand is particularly punchy; the U1 and tHe U3 uprights are both pretty bright and dynamic as well.

And for once, no, they didn't include the previous version of the CFX in the G2

Mark

Hi Mark, thank you for your reply. I tried all and realized that the Character Grand or the C7 and some piano sounds seem to have an issue: the sustain pedal very short.

I am a fan of Yanni and Clayderman. Therefore, piano, epiano, string, and synth are very important, because I rarely use sounds like guitar or woodwind.

Actually, I had a short time to try Genos2 at a store. At that time, I was not impressed with Genos 2, besides new effects. Nearby,  was the Korg PA5X. I thought I should buy Korg PA5X, but I think that the rest of my musician life is Yamaha. If switching to Korg, I have to build all data again. 

But I think about buying it because I think the latest model is always better than previous products, like Genos 1 and Tyros 5. So I bought an online dealer, waited for a week, and loaded data and expansions from Genos1 to G2. When I played, I felt Genos 2 lacks of effects, and velocity seems something wrong.  I felt lost in the mood when played Genos 2. In 3 weeks later, I still feel confused: is there any wrong with my instrument?

On the first day of gigging, it showed clearly because my clients said "You play not good as normal day". I asked my friend, who has Genos2, about how he feeling about the new keyboard. I also came to the Guitar Center to test Genos2 again. After comparing the sound of Genos 2 at Guitar Center and my Genos2, I realized that nothing wrong with my G2. I have to accept whatever Yamaha giving. Therefore, I wrote this topic to share that anybody has the feeling like me on Genos2.

By the way, I listen to my friend, who has G2, too. I need time to be familiar with the sound from Genos2. Could be buying piano expansion, or selling G2 then buying Korg PA5X going along with Genos1.

Hoang

« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 06:37:01 AM by hoangbr2014 »

Offline Michael Trigoboff

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2024, 07:09:14 AM »
I think you can adjust sustain with one of the knobs.
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline bpsafran

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2024, 10:40:07 AM »
The knob that adjusts the piano sustain is
 the one marked release, which is also a parameter in
voice edit.   While playing you should use the sustain
pedal for piano voices, that is how the demonstrators
get such realistic pianos. Also,  try the various touch settings
since the velocity curves may have changed from
Genos1.  I have had my Genos2 for several weeks
and it is fantastic. It is important to try all the voices
to learn their qualities. For example  the soft trumpet
can sound very different depending on touch and aftertouch.
The sounds are very well defined and their stereo
field is maintained by the new stereo reverb. One final
suggestion is to find styles that use the pianos
you want and listen to their piano tracks which you
can isolate in the channel menu. That is a good way
to learn how the pianos are optimized with effects
and with playing techniques, including sustain. Don't give up
since the Genos2 is one of its kind.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2024, 07:03:48 PM »
Hi Mark, thank you for your reply. I tried all and realized that the Character Grand or the C7 and some piano sounds seem to have an issue: the sustain pedal very short.

I am a fan of Yanni and Clayderman. Therefore, piano, epiano, string, and synth are very important, because I rarely use sounds like guitar or woodwind.

Actually, I had a short time to try Genos2 at a store. At that time, I was not impressed with Genos 2, besides new effects. Nearby,  was the Korg PA5X. I thought I should buy Korg PA5X, but I think that the rest of my musician life is Yamaha. If switching to Korg, I have to build all data again. 

But I think about buying it because I think the latest model is always better than previous products, like Genos 1 and Tyros 5. So I bought an online dealer, waited for a week, and loaded data and expansions from Genos1 to G2. When I played, I felt Genos 2 lacks of effects, and velocity seems something wrong.  I felt lost in the mood when played Genos 2. In 3 weeks later, I still feel confused: is there any wrong with my instrument?

On the first day of gigging, it showed clearly because my clients said "You play not good as normal day". I asked my friend, who has Genos2, about how he feeling about the new keyboard. I also came to the Guitar Center to test Genos2 again. After comparing the sound of Genos 2 at Guitar Center and my Genos2, I realized that nothing wrong with my G2. I have to accept whatever Yamaha giving. Therefore, I wrote this topic to share that anybody has the feeling like me on Genos2.

By the way, I listen to my friend, who has G2, too. I need time to be familiar with the sound from Genos2. Could be buying piano expansion, or selling G2 then buying Korg PA5X going along with Genos1.

Hoang

I mean, get the Pa5x if you like; the piano *is* really good (and the bass and drums, too). Or you could go back to G1; it seems to me you may have set your keyboard touch to medium or hard if you find it less dynamic; the g2 pianos are absolutely more dynamic than the G1, but it's possible you used a punchier compressor on the G1 and a more sensative touch to fool your senses.

As for the Character grand having a short sustain; I just A/B'd and its bass notes are definitely longer than the CFX's, although the CFX's decay is more linear and the Character grand's is more of an exponential decay; when you get up to the highest octaves, the characeter's initially decays faster due to the exponential decay, but it's recorded for as long or longer than the cfx on every note I tried. It's hard to tell with all the reverb on, go ahead and dial the reverb to 0 and you should hear them properly.

I think you should go to the master compressor, and turn it off (might be too much compression on for your), although leaving it on natural should've been fine. Note that if you go to Voice Edit on CFX on G1, the internal volume of the CFX voice is 119, on G2 it's 110. So set the G2's to 119 as well.

Then change your keyboard touch response from Normal to Easy 2, Soft1 or Soft2 and try again?

If all else fails, use CHaracter on Right 1, use either CFX or C7 Studio on Right 2, and you get an incredibly dynamic piano.

Mark

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2024, 04:59:52 AM »
I mean, get the Pa5x if you like; the piano *is* really good (and the bass and drums, too). Or you could go back to G1; it seems to me you may have set your keyboard touch to medium or hard if you find it less dynamic; the g2 pianos are absolutely more dynamic than the G1, but it's possible you used a punchier compressor on the G1 and a more sensative touch to fool your senses.

As for the Character grand having a short sustain; I just A/B'd and its bass notes are definitely longer than the CFX's, although the CFX's decay is more linear and the Character grand's is more of an exponential decay; when you get up to the highest octaves, the characeter's initially decays faster due to the exponential decay, but it's recorded for as long or longer than the cfx on every note I tried. It's hard to tell with all the reverb on, go ahead and dial the reverb to 0 and you should hear them properly.

I think you should go to the master compressor, and turn it off (might be too much compression on for your), although leaving it on natural should've been fine. Note that if you go to Voice Edit on CFX on G1, the internal volume of the CFX voice is 119, on G2 it's 110. So set the G2's to 119 as well.

Then change your keyboard touch response from Normal to Easy 2, Soft1 or Soft2 and try again?

If all else fails, use CHaracter on Right 1, use either CFX or C7 Studio on Right 2, and you get an incredibly dynamic piano.

Mark

Hi Mark, thanks for your reply. I accept what Yamaha gives, and not discuss here more, just tell the fact. For"but it's possible you used a punchier compressor on the G1 and a more sensative touch to fool your senses", this is not because I know all setting my keyboard as factory set natural, and EQ as Flat.

Thanks
Hoang

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2024, 12:43:32 PM »
the U1 and tHe U3 uprights are both pretty bright and dynamic as well.
Mark
Sorry to cut the thread. I find the U1 with a lot of reverb (the new one in G2) is a very good clear sound even if it can’t be used as a concert grand piano for Classical renditions.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2024, 06:28:30 PM »
Hi Mark, thanks for your reply. I accept what Yamaha gives, and not discuss here more, just tell the fact. For"but it's possible you used a punchier compressor on the G1 and a more sensative touch to fool your senses", this is not because I know all setting my keyboard as factory set natural, and EQ as Flat.

Thanks
Hoang

I wasn't saying that you've tricked yourself :) I was merely offering suggestions for possible solutions for a more dynamic piano. As Soundphase also chimed in, the new U1 and U3 are also really clear, crisp pianos!

Mark

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2024, 07:26:51 AM »
I agree too I guess Yamaha retweeked some of the preset voices I have a good idea here’s style Discohands originality from tyros 4 try it on both genos models and even the psr sx models to do a true sound comparison with the same voices . Here’s the style. https://www.dropbox.com/s/izfks7jqhkuzgv1/DiscoHands.T160.prs?dl=0

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK, Roshure

Offline James2010

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2024, 02:07:02 PM »
I love the Felt piano on the Genos 2.

Overall I think the sound of Genos 2 compared to Genos, is more powerful and wider spread of sound. I think this is maybe why it sounds louder than original Genos due to the advanced engineering?

Having owned the original Genos for six years, I’m delighted I took the plunge to move up to Genos 2.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2024, 02:05:53 PM »
Yes me to James. Great Keyboard all round.

Offline RONBO

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2024, 02:38:18 PM »
Hello all,

Correct me if I'm wrong but my former G1 had a feature that allowed the user to adjust the volume of a style while playing it with a more aggressive touch or less aggressive, depending on the volume the player wanted during a performance.

I miss that, and I can't seem to get that feature on G2.

If someone could suggest how to go about this I would be forever grateful.

I hope also that some or any on our members know what I'm talking about and I didn't dream this up.

regards

Ron
PSR Performer Page                                  IT'S EASY TO BE THE SHIP'S CAPTAIN WHEN THE  SEAS ARE CALM

Proud Genos2 owner

Former boards  PSR2100, PSR 910, TYROS 4,  TYROS 5 and Genos

Offline pjd

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2024, 05:45:35 PM »
If someone could suggest how to go about this I would be forever grateful.

I hope also that some or any on our members know what I'm talking about and I didn't dream this up.

Hi Ron --

You're not dreaming.  :) On Genos 1, that feature is called "Dynamics Control", Genos 1 Reference Manual, page 11.

Yamaha rejiggered this feature for Genos 2: Genos2 Reference Manual, pages 11, 27 and 147. G2 people will chime in. The newer implementation dynamically tweaks volume and velocity for more realistic impression of live players.

-- pj

Update: Yamaha highlighted this feature in its promotional videos, but oddly, it's buried in the manual. No mention in the G2 Owner's Manual at all.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 05:55:08 PM by pjd »

Offline RONBO

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2024, 09:20:13 PM »
Thanks pj,

I thought I was going nuts there!

I have to say that I prefer the way G1 handled this.   
It was so much simpler

Yamaha seems to have tried to fix something that isn't broken,IMHO

best regards

Ron
PSR Performer Page                                  IT'S EASY TO BE THE SHIP'S CAPTAIN WHEN THE  SEAS ARE CALM

Proud Genos2 owner

Former boards  PSR2100, PSR 910, TYROS 4,  TYROS 5 and Genos

Offline mikf

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2024, 08:23:50 PM »
On the subject of sustain, I have found that all the digital pianos I have played have relatively poor sustain, not just arrangers. I guess this may be due to the massive memory/sampling requirement to have a very long sustain time on a polyphonic instrument.
But even acoustic piano brands have very variable sustain, with the higher quality pianos nearly always vastly superior in this regard. I have a Yamaha Grand which cost about 20k, and is not their very best quality, but its still an expensive piano and it is a Yamaha. And its pretty nice .... but I also have a Shigeru which cost many times that much, and the sustain and total sound as a result, is miles better than the Yamaha. Same with all the other quality piano brands like Bosendorfer, Steinway, Bluthner, I have been lucky enough to play. They all sound fabulous, and the sustain is a definite part of that. I suppose this is because the sustain is very much related to quality of design, construction and materials, particularly, the soundboard quality. 
The thing is why it matters. Most of the time in normal playing the sustain pedal is released in couple of seconds or less, much shorter than the total time to decay to zero of even the poorest sustain. so why does it matter if the total sustain sample time is 10 secs rather than 30 secs. The problem is that the total decay time also affects the shape of the decay curve, so the pianos with a very long decay time will have much fuller sound after a couple of seconds. This is why the best pianos can sound so much more satisfying to the player, and they will always appear to have a much fuller overall sound. This 'nice' feeling is probably the second most important thing after the feel of the keyboard for a piano player, and maybe more important than tone.
Mike 

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2024, 08:50:32 PM »
Yes Mike, completely agree on what you say.
It's not really a problem if sustain (sample length practically) is only 10s long. What matters is, what's inside these 10s (decay curve).

Bogdan

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2024, 08:51:02 PM »
Agreed, mike. Although the sustain on the hybrids (N1x, N2, N3x) is incredible. 30+ seconds on the lowest notes.

Steinway actually has a patented soundboard to elongate the sustain (most pianos use a pretty uniform cross section on their soundboards (thin rectangular), Steinway uses one with tapered edges (a bit like an airplane wing cross section except both sides would be trailing edges) so that more mass is in the centre, allowing it to resonate for longer, and with thinner sides, allowing for more free resonating.

Mark

Offline mikf

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2024, 10:28:31 PM »
Mark
My Shigeru has an incredible sustain. I never measured it but it seemed to go on  almost forever. It’s in Europe and I’m in the US at the moment, so I can’t measure it, but will be there next month and will do. I actually had a normal Kawaii piano before changing to the a Shigeru, and it was not even close to the class of the Shigeru, but to be fair it was pretty good and it also cost a lot less.
Kawai bought the whole mountainside of a particular Spruce that are reputed to make the best soundboards, because he felt that was key, and it meant only he could access it. He only uses it in the Shigeru.
A recent detailed review I saw said that Shigeru Kawaii had largely copied the Steinway design down to the last detail, even fastener positions, to make his flagship piano, but then improved some of the materials, thicker casing etc. It’s certainly a stunning piano, superbly finished, and although expensive, a bargain compared to Steinway or Bosies. My tuner says it is the best constructed and most stable piano he works on. He tunes it only once a year and says it hardly drifts at all.
Mike

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2024, 12:02:39 AM »
SK's *do* sound really good.

However, they're not allowed to borrow *anything* from Steinway design. It's literally in their contract agreement; Kawai OEM produces Bostons on behalf of Steinway (they asked Yamaha first, but Yamaha was already at capacity manufacturing their own pianos). Part of the agreement is they aren't allowed to copy any part of Steinway's designs (and if they did, they would probably face financial ruin).

Most noteably: *no* manufacturer in the world would ever put higher quality materials in their oem manufactured products.

https://familypiano.com/blog/kawai-vs-steinway/
Interestingly they go on to defend the use of plastic parts in their Kawai pianos; depsite the fact that none of the high end brands does this (including their own Shigeru). In reference to this article saying that's like saying polyester sweaters are plastic: they are.
And Steinways *do* appreciate in value, as do Martin guitars. But that's for investors to quibble about, not musicians like us!

But you know as well as anybody: If you want the best, you'll have to pay more.

Here's a less defensive article:
https://www.pianobrands.org/yamaha-vs-kawai-vs-steinway/

But SK's made in Japan? Do indeed sound really good for the money. No argument here. But there are a lot of myths out there; Steinway *is* the best (99.9% of all concert halls use a Steinway; a small percentage did try putting Faziolis in them, but over 90% of those went back to Steinway). And absolutely agree, Sk's blow Kawai's out of the water (not least of which is higher material quality in SK's vs Kawais.)

But that doesn't mean SK, Yamaha's, Bosendorfers, (which are actually also Yamahas since 2008), Sauters aren't all really good, because they *are*, too!

Mark

Offline mikf

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2024, 02:20:20 AM »
Mark, i wish I could remember the link to the website where the guy, an excellent pianist and piano blogger, went into a detailed comparison of Steinway and SK. He measured everything, and said he was shocked at how closely the SK matched the Steinway. And he then produces detailed playing comparisons, and says they are almost impossible to tell apart. He actually referred to the Shigeru as a ‘fake Steinway’.
I got involved with a top level business consultant on a marketing project back in the 80s. His big reference project was New York Steinway, which he claimed to have worked with and turned the business around. Don’t know how true that was but he certainly appeared to maintain great relations with Steinway top management and offered to take me there. But I never did go.
He told me that the master stroke at Steinway was not their piano quality, which although very good was actually not really considered better than the other top brands, and truthfully they were having quality issues at the New York factory. He said the key was a marketing vision and commitment which foresaw that penetrating all the conservatories where all the budding concert pianists were being groomed, combined with driving great deals to put them in concert halls would provide huge brand loyalty. The worlds best players would ultimately demand Steinway all the time because that was what they were used to playing. And people would then associate great players with Steinway pianos, instilling the link that they must be the best because the best demand them. It definitely worked.
 Of course they are also great pianos, but truthfully there are other equally great pianos, that don’t carry that Steinway kudos. Fazioli are generally considered the best, and I have seen a website where a famous piano technician (actually Oscar Peterson’s personal tuner)  listed Fazioli as clearly the best, with German Steinway, Shigeru and Bosendorfer just behind. He was actually quite critical of New York Steinway. But here is the bottom line - if you are a concert pianist and you have practiced and performed on a Steinway every day of your life, you don’t want to be suddenly presented with a Fazioli at a concert performance, no matter how good people say it is.
Mind you, I believe Peterson actually favored Bosendorfer.
Mike
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 03:54:57 AM by mikf »

The following users thanked this post: BogdanH

« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2024, 05:05:38 PM »
I contacted Yamaha, and they suggested, "was only able to hear the slightest difference in treble/presence. assume the Genos 2 voice/s is EQ slightly flatter than the Genos voice/s

would suggest experimenting with the Master EQ and increasing the Middle High and High frequency levels".

By the way, I bought CFX Piano Genos 1, and then put it into Genos 1. Personally, this guy has been very good so far. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4dtUf0k-R0

Offline overover

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2024, 08:15:54 PM »
Hi Hoang,

Have you tried using the Genos1 "CFX Concert Grand" voice file on the Genos2?

I compared this voice file (.nlv) in MixMaster (List View) with the corresponding Genos2 voice file and found the following differences in particular (in addition to some additional SysEx that are included in the Genos2 voice file):

Part EQ Treble Gain (@ 2.8 kHz):
Genos1: 80
Genos2: 64

Reverb Send Level:
Genos1: 17
Genos2: 36

As you can see, the Genos1 CFX ConcertGrand definitely has more treble and less reverb.

You can download the Genos1 "CFX ConcertGrand" voice file at the following link. If you haven't already done so, please load it on the Genos2 and compare it with the Genos2 "CFX ConcertGrand":
>>> CFX ConcertGrandG1.T228.nlv

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2024, 07:30:32 AM »
Hi Hoang,

Have you tried using the Genos1 "CFX Concert Grand" voice file on the Genos2?

I compared this voice file (.nlv) in MixMaster (List View) with the corresponding Genos2 voice file and found the following differences in particular (in addition to some additional SysEx that are included in the Genos2 voice file):

Part EQ Treble Gain (@ 2.8 kHz):
Genos1: 80
Genos2: 64

Reverb Send Level:
Genos1: 17
Genos2: 36

As you can see, the Genos1 CFX ConcertGrand definitely has more treble and less reverb.

You can download the Genos1 "CFX ConcertGrand" voice file at the following link. If you haven't already done so, please load it on the Genos2 and compare it with the Genos2 "CFX ConcertGrand":
>>> CFX ConcertGrandG1.T228.nlv

Best regards,
Chris

Hi Chris,
Thank you for your idea. I tried all, loading Geno1 factory sound to Genos 2, tried editing EQ or Reverb settings. The G2 has good new drums, reverb, and new styles. But I think I like the "taste" of the sound of Genos.

All my friends, no one complained about Genos 2, only me.

The ordeal situation that my boss, the owner of the bar club, where I played 3 days a week, preferred the Genos 1. Last 2 weeks, I played with Genos 2. Tonight, I bring Genos 1. He said, "No more Genos 2, ok!". That is ridiculous.

But anyway I think the different taste of sound. Here is the piano Genos 2 that I modified reverb https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9dsMu4JtCM&t=28s

Offline pjd

« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2024, 06:07:11 PM »
Tonight, I bring Genos 1. He said, "No more Genos 2, ok!". That is ridiculous.

That is crazy. Put tape over the "2".  :D

Good luck -- pj

Offline overover

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2024, 07:05:28 PM »
Hi Chris,
Thank you for your idea. I tried all, loading Geno1 factory sound to Genos 2, tried editing EQ or Reverb settings. The G2 has good new drums, reverb, and new styles. But I think I like the "taste" of the sound of Genos.

All my friends, no one complained about Genos 2, only me.

The ordeal situation that my boss, the owner of the bar club, where I played 3 days a week, preferred the Genos 1. Last 2 weeks, I played with Genos 2. Tonight, I bring Genos 1. He said, "No more Genos 2, ok!". That is ridiculous.

But anyway I think the different taste of sound. Here is the piano Genos 2 that I modified reverb https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9dsMu4JtCM&t=28s

Thanks for your feedback, Hoang!

By the way, please note that the global Reverb (and Chorus) effect types (System Effects) are set by the currently loaded STYLE or MIDI file, i.e. not by the Voice file used.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline bpsafran

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2024, 08:44:25 PM »
Hi Hoang, 

I suggest that  as I have done, you review the 1600
registrations of the Genos Playlist (link in the Forum at the top of the  Genos2
thread) (and 3200 OTS) that the professionals at
Yamaha have programmed.  Many include voice and effects
edits and many include pianos.  I think you will be
surprised at the variety. My interest  is mostly in
orchestral music and the new Genos2 strings and brass
aling with the new reverb and touch curves (both
velocity and aftertouch) make these very expressive.
Combining the CFX and other voices also gives
interesting sonic combinations.  I strongly suggest
that we all can learn from the pro programming of the provided
registrations and OTS.

Regards

Offline soryt

« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2024, 09:55:17 PM »
After 20 years of Yamaha 8) keyboards ( since the first Tyros).
there is always a lot of people who compare the newest model with his predecessor , and the people who can’t direct afford the newest model making excuses to themselves to say that the older model sounds better .
There is so much changed the passed years and improved so that we have no idea how good some sounds can upgraded with the new effect processors, Al the samples from the successor are on the latest keyboard in the Legacy memory and sounds exactly the same with the same settings (EQ , effects, etc,etc) . you can make the Genos 2 sounds in anyway you want. There is really no difference in the basic samples . But it is also possible to ruin the sound without any knowledge of the instrument. It’s all in your hands 🙌 to make it to your taste.
Just my humble opinion  8)
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Offline EileenL

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2024, 12:32:16 PM »
Yes soryt,
  Thats what I love about Yamaha keyboards you can make them your own by using the edit and settings provided.