Author Topic: Music finder  (Read 636 times)

Offline Dave PSR 970

Music finder
« on: March 15, 2024, 10:19:53 AM »
Hi all ,
I have just bought a PSR-S970.The music finder has 1594 songs installed with the max capacity as 2500 songs.Is a download available to add the other 906 songs?.
Iam 76 and just learning how to play so any help you can offer will be very welcome.

Offline ChrisH

Re: Music finder
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2024, 01:16:01 PM »
The link here gives you many many MFD files but they only are for the Tyros or S950 not the S970 ...They will not work on my S650 (just comes up with an error) If you import each downloaded file into the Music Finder File Manager you can select your S970 then you can see if they work.    I cannot find anyone who has used the software (from utilities on the mail PSR tutorial site) that can confirm that you can convert one arranger style of file into a different one. Since the downloads here   https://www.psrtutorial.com/lessons/playing/mf/94_FBMFDs.html   are only available in Tyros or S950 format I still have no idea if when the software asks "Select Model" all files are converted to your selected keyboard ..Let me know how you go???

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2024, 02:40:27 PM »
Welcome to the forum Dave,

This is the best Yamaha forum in the world, you will soon discover.  ;D

You should also consider becoming a Supporting member by making a purchase of any of these resources for your keyboard..
https://www.psrtutorial.com/cdrom/productsum.html

You will have access to even move items only available to supporting members that you currently can not see of our forum.  8)

Here is a list I have posted back in 2018 for you again.

Here I have attached the Music Finder for every keyboard all in one spreadsheet.

This is every thing from the PSR2000 to the Tyros 5 keyboards. Every one is noted as to the style name and which keyboard. I put this together to help me find a style with which to begin to create my own song specific styles.

There are very few Yamaha styles that fit perfectly for a song. Most of the suggestions are always using just ONE of the styles patterns to play the song all the way through using just it. That is so boring sounding, no song ever does that. Every song always has at least at a minimum a Verse and Chorus, each having a different pattern. Many songs have a third part to them called the bridge.

https://app.box.com/s/ru9l71igz5tmihth59aree1ly31t76wt

Regards
Drake
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 02:46:14 PM by DrakeM »

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, DaveD

Offline StuCos

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2024, 10:00:44 PM »
Hi Dave,

I've owned the S970 for 8 years and am happy to assist with any queries you may have. Have you owned keyboards like this before and what type of music do you enjoy playing?

Since you bought your keyboard, have you done any of the following:-

1. Saved down any edited voices.
2. Saved down any registrations you may have created.
3. Adjusted the EQ to improve the overall sound.

Finally, do you have the User Manual to assist with any queries that may arise?

Regards,

Stuart

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2024, 02:17:33 AM »
Thanks Drake

That is a very useful spreadsheet and absolutely HUGE. Must have taken ages to compile it.  It looks like the file records come from the Music Finder File Manager which is great.   I think Dave was hoping to find an MFD file that had a whole bunch of new songs that fit his 970 list so I guess one could download the Fake Book files and delete what he already has and then also make sure that the files that are left actually have the style in the record and then save it. It's a slow way of doing things but your spreadsheet would make life easier too .. cos you have done the songs by style so it would be easy to just use the styles that you know are already in the 970 firmware and transfer those records and import to the keyboard    Being a Charter member is also great as Joe sent me just a couple of zip files with absolutely everything (that's if you need stuff like midis etc etc)   

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2024, 02:35:57 AM »
The best way to use the spreadsheet is to find your song in the list and then note the style name associated with it.

If the style name is not on your keyboard, then note which keyboards have the style. Generally you would pick the newest keyboard model.

Then go the the STYLE tab located on the PSR Tutorial HOME page. Then select the YAMAHA tab and find the keyboard MODEL that you are look for in the list. On that page you can find the CATEGORY the style is in and download the zip file that contains the STYLE.

Drake

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2024, 04:35:25 AM »
Dave, the style / song list is just someone’s idea of a style that they think works for that song. But there are many, many ways to play songs, and many styles that work for any song. And often a single style works for many songs. There is seldom a “perfect” style for an6 song. What makes it perfect is how you play it.
There is nothing magic or specific about these  lists.
 As a learner you probably have more than enough styles to find some that work for a few songs you like to play.
My advice if you are just learning to play is not to get style obsessed. Huge style lists  will not help you to play better or learn faster. Put your effort into learning to play, better on a few songs. Concentrate on learning about chords, how to read chord names, get better at playing then without looking. Learn how to read a lead sheet and play melody lines. And learn how to audition the styles you have  to find ones that work for the song you want to  play. Expanding your style collection, and finding  different styles for more and more songs can come in time.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: ChrisH

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2024, 06:25:25 AM »
Great advice Mike

I will often call up a music Finder title (which as you know are often hard to decipher!) and found that yes, this one actually works better than the suggested song for one that came to mind ..I will often use music finder titles and ignore the title and just find a song that works for it then do the same for the next title and do that for the whole gendre.  It's an excellent way to not only learn what chords fit but it also gives you great melody line practice!!