News:

PsrStyles.com
- Download Styles and Expansion Packs

Main Menu

Genos 1 drum kit issue

Started by Hammond Yamaha, July 09, 2024, 07:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hammond Yamaha

When editing drums in style section, from page 2 onward in drum kits I get this effect of a needle being quickly pulled across a record especially in fill and break.  This is so annoying.  I have noticed this for quite some time.  Is there a way to eliminate it?  Your assistance is greatly appreciated. And by the way, has anyone else experienced this?

BogdanH

hello and welcome to the forum,
Can you explain what you mean by "from page 2 onward in drum kits"?

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

DrakeM

Sounds like you are trying to use a Genos style in a non Genos keyboard,  am I right?

If so, you must edit the sound out by using the keyboard's Style Creator program and go to the EDIT tab to DELETE the event from the list you will see.

Or you can download the Genos styles that one of our other members has posted on the COLLECTIONS page of the PSRTUTORIAL page, that has already converted the style to be used in the PSR keyboards.

Remember if you need more help, just ask. Also WELCOME to the Forum and the PSRTUTURIAL web site.  ;D

Drake

pjd

Welcome to the Forum!

Adding to what Drake said, styles from Genos 1 and 2 may use a drum kit which is not present (implemented) on your particular instrument. Your instrument is substituting a different drum kit and when the MIDI (style) note is played, it sounds a different percussion noise.

BTW, which specific instrument are you using?

Even if everything is on Genos 1 or 2, a MIDI style phrase programmed for a Revo kit will not sound correctly if a non-Revo kit is substituted. Related, this kind of gotcha happens when a Regular melody voice plays MIDI notes intended for a Megavoice!

Hope this info helps -- pj

P.S. Then there is Ambient vs. Revo vs. Regular drum note mappings:

https://sandsoftwaresound.net/genos-hi-hat-happiness/

Hammond Yamaha

As is in the post heading, I am using Genos 1 and styles being used are Genos preset styles. When I am setting up a registration for a song and I choose a style for back up and I want to edit the drum kit in rhythm 2 in the mixer section.  I tap the drum icon which takes me to the different drum kits internally in the keyboard. For example Revo Drums Vintage Muted Kit page one kit 4 and I go to page 3 and or 4 to pick another drum kit to replace te original I am getting this nasty sqibble sound in the break and the fill in between main ABCD.  It is the same sound you get if you quickly pulled a record player needle across a record album.  It also happens with Symphony Kit on page 5.  It is very annoying and I cannot seem to be able to get around it.  With the keyboard set up in style creator, it is the sound of the lowest F and F# key that I am getting. Is this normal or is there a fix?  I greatly appreciate all of your input so far.  I guess I needed to explain what is happening in greater detail.  Thank you for reading my post and your suggestions are quite welcome.

DerekA

It's because the rhythm2 part contains a "note" which maps to a pleasant drum sound in the original kit used by the style, but maps to a scratch effect in the other kits.

This is the expected behaviour, not all drum kits have the same sort of sound mapped to the same key. This is especially true for the more unusual sounds.

The fix is to delete the unwanted note from the part.
Genos

Hammond Yamaha

DerekA thank you.  I was thinking there was an issue with my Genos.  In order to delete the unwanted sound, is it possible to do that with the Genos or do I need a special program to edit?

MadrasGiaguari

Dear Hammond Yamaha,
to delete the inconvenient data of the Drum part, you do within the Style Creator of Genos, Don't need external software.

Go in Style Creator
Select the variation where you experienced unwanted sounds (normally, Rythm2).
In the upper part of the window, press StepEdit
By using the down arrow (located in the right area of the window) move from step to step, until you hear the unwanted sound
When so, stop searching, and press Delete (in the lower area of the window): the unwanted sound disappear.
Continue to check step by step in the same window, and repeat the deleting process each time you find another unwanted sound.

Once you complete, press Save.

Repeat the same process for all Variations, including Fill-in, Intro, Ending, Break, each time saving your deleting work.

Go back to Play mode and check if some unwanted sound is still there. If so, go in Style Creator, StepEdit, and renove (delete) the unwanted sound.

Remember to Save your work.

I suggest to do the same check and action for Rythm1.

If you need more advise, please do.

Ciao,

Angelo

Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

Amwilburn

That doesn't quite add up; what you are experienced is normal for using Genos styles on a non-Genos keyboard, as already suggested by Drake. If you are on a Genos? it should be able to handle all the  drum notes...??? Unless those kits on a Genos style were the saved onto the wrong kit type on another board, *or* on an sx900 (even though the live versions of the revo kits  are the inferior version, they are newer than the original revo versions, and thus the Genos doesn't recognize them. THey need to be manually mapped back to the original Revo kit).

What exactly are you doing..? Playing styles from sx900 on G1? You shouldn't need to delete anything, just remap to the correct Revo drum kit *if* you are playing them on a Genos /G2.

Mark

Hammond Yamaha

I am using preset styles and using Genos1.

Amwilburn

Quote from: Hammond Yamaha on July 11, 2024, 12:37:33 PM
I am using preset styles and using Genos1.

Then you shouldn't be having any issues... unless you're using a style that has a revo kit, and you're intentionally remapping it to a non-Revo kit, in which case, yes, you'd need to delete or reassign all the offending notes in the style. But that's what happens if you remap a revo kit style to a non-revo kit one.

Mark