Author Topic: Variation leveling technique  (Read 707 times)

Offline maarkr

Variation leveling technique
« on: March 11, 2024, 06:23:23 PM »
I wonder how to build my Style volumes so they are consistent?  I was building some songs (styles) and the volume may be different from Var to Var (A_B_C_D) so I set the left live control knobs to set all style volumes and the right knob to set the Panel1 R1,2,3.  Is your technique to use the style volume consistent in building the different Vars of the song and save the Reg?  I thought I was doing that well but sometimes the style is too low or the Part is too high or low, needing adjustment, so I change the volume but when I change to the next Variation, I need to readjust the volumes again and if I don't save the Reg, then it reoccurs. 
Do you build the songs so you don't need to use (or even have)  a style volume adjustment at all in your live control assignment?   Hope this makes sense.
aka Gene Maarkr. PSR-SX900, FA-06, PX-5S, Yamaha drums, Epi Les Paul, Yamaha bass, Studio One DAW w Waves, NI, IKM, iZotope.

Offline mikf

Re: Variation leveling technique
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2024, 06:39:01 PM »
You are a bit unclear what you are doing because of some of your terminology- songs, styles, registrations, variations are all terms that seem randomly used.
Styles are built, edited and saved in the style creator and this does not use registrations. If you are working in style creator it is up to you to balance volume between instruments and variations an$save it this way.
Song set ups (not songs) are saved in in registrations, where you can save different styles, style variations voices, effects etc to match your arrangement of a song. I think this might be what you really mean.
The term ‘song’ is usually referred to mean a recording.
Maybe you can try to restate your question more clearly.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: torben, mhack, maarkr

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2024, 07:07:12 PM »
Well, if you're talking about your custom styles, the goal is usually to mix the style volume to match the internal ones,

Mark

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2024, 08:13:21 PM »
My technique is toy save everything in a registration, and go any required volume levelling there.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: mhack, maarkr

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 08:54:25 PM »
I start by getting the correct drums (RHY1 and 2) for the beginning of the song, that this generally the first verse. The volume is set about 60 for the drums. Then I add the bass and its volume is a bit less than the drummer. Adding and filling in the CHD1 and 2 spots is next thing that gets added and balanced to the style.

Then move to creating the style part B for the Chorus of the song and use the same steps as above.

Next step is to get these two parts to match volume wise. You do that by recording the song and then listening to the verse go to the chorus and then back to the verse. Tweak what sounds too loud or too low in the Chorus part of the style.

Once you have these two matched up, filling the rest of the style up with a variation of the verse and chorus in style parts C and D should be easy.

Last thing to add are your OTS voices that you are going to use with each of the style’s part (A-D).

If you have the style sounding correct managing it with a registration I would think would not be an issue. But personally I don’t use a registration to perform a song, just the style is enough. 

Drake

The following users thanked this post: mhack, maarkr

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2024, 12:38:33 AM »
Last thing to add are your OTS voices that you are going to use with each of the style’s part (A-D).

I'll fess up to mixing style parts too loud and then finding the OTS voices buried, when they and the melody should stand out. I would crank the drum and bass thinking that more signal is good. Wrongo.

Drake's advice is good. Set the drums initially in the 60 to 70 range and build around them. You eventually need to have room for the melody or solo part. I study the factory styles to see where Yamaha puts levels.

Have fun -- pj
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 12:39:35 AM by pjd »

Offline maarkr

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2024, 02:36:32 PM »
Song set ups (not songs) are saved in in registrations, where you can save different styles, style variations voices, effects etc to match your arrangement of a song. I think this might be what you really mean.
Well there you go... I never noticed the term 'song setups' mentioned, thus the confusion, and I'm seeing that the answer is to level the volumes using the mixer in styles and not do volume leveling using live control.  Still trying to use the correct terminology, and I also get confused on what is saved in the style versus what I need to save for the registration when building or editing a style in style creator.   thanks
aka Gene Maarkr. PSR-SX900, FA-06, PX-5S, Yamaha drums, Epi Les Paul, Yamaha bass, Studio One DAW w Waves, NI, IKM, iZotope.

The following users thanked this post: mhack