Author Topic: Using speaker outputs intended for GNS-MS01  (Read 1115 times)

Offline tomsx700

Using speaker outputs intended for GNS-MS01
« on: February 20, 2024, 04:55:53 PM »
Hi, I have just acquired a Genos 1. I am trying to connect my powered studio monitors to the left and right speaker inputs intended for the GNS-MS01 system. Is it a special cable? I have searched the manual and checked out the Line Out in the menu. I want to have monitors so I can hear my keyboard AND connect to a PA system for the audience. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks, TOM

Offline EileenL

Re: Using speaker outputs intended for GNS-MS01
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2024, 05:15:29 PM »
You can not do this. You will probably damage the keyboard if you try. They must go through line out. Why not use headphones to monitor your sound.

The following users thanked this post: tomsx700

Offline tomsx700

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2024, 05:29:29 PM »
Hi Eileen, I don't want to use just headphones. I primarily play in church, so I need to also be aware of the ambient sound in the church and from the congregation. Also, being a "play be ear" person, I need to hear the keyboard clearly mixed with the PA. I know it's confusing. Thank you for your input. I think I can use the headphone jack to connect to my monitors and use the line out for the PA.
Cheers, TOM

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 06:05:44 PM »
Hi Tom --

Not so much damage to the keyboard, but the Genos subwoofer/satellite speakers are designed to work as a system. Looking at the design, I don't believe it's possible to get a satellite speaker signal without the subwoofer! Plus, Yamaha are quite good about specifying output signal levels. The signal to the satellite speaker is not LINE level and I would fear damage to your monitors...

I play in church, too, and route headphone OUT to a close-by monitor. In my case, I use a BOSE Soundlink Color II. It's just enough so I can hear myself in the general din of voices and instruments.  :D I send MAIN OUT to the church's PA.

Hope this info helps -- pj

Offline tomsx700

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2024, 06:34:52 PM »
Hi pjd,
Thank you for your reply. It sounds as though you have the same church situation. I think I will set up as you have. I'll use the headphone out to monitors and save L/R and R for the PA system.
Greatly appreciated.
Thanks, TOM

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2024, 07:02:57 PM »
Hi Tom,

I also recommend using the headphones jack in this case. This is the easiest and safest option for connecting additional powered speakers if you want their volume to depend on the master volume dial.

If the speakers you are using have a 6.3 mm input jack, all you need to connect is a so-called "insert cable" (6.3 mm stereo TRS plug <> 2 * 6.3 mm mono TS plugs). This cable should not be longer than necessary as it is an unbalanced connection.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline jacula

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2024, 07:23:54 PM »
Apart of  regular line out plus headphones 6.3mm outputs, Genos has another two pair of line outs.
What is a reason to try to use satellites outputs?
Rgs;J.

Offline tomsx700

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2024, 08:31:29 PM »
Hi, Yes, I know about the other lines and I tried them. The Line out 1 & 2 are not controllable with the master volume on the keyboard. I needed a solution that allowed that control. I think the best solution will be as others have offered, using the headphone jack with a splitter cord.
Thanks, TOM