Author Topic: differences in .bup files  (Read 722 times)

Offline boowho

differences in .bup files
« on: February 18, 2024, 11:03:36 PM »
Anyone know if there is a utility to convert a PSR-S910 .bup file that a CVP605 Clavinova will accept?

Thanks

Offline Toril S

Re: differences in .bup files
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2024, 11:40:00 PM »
What message do you get when you try to load it into the CVP? I have never tried this, but doubt it is possible, since the two keyboards are different. Hope someone can answer.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2024, 11:46:23 PM »
Anyone know if there is a utility to convert a PSR-S910 .bup file that a CVP605 Clavinova will accept?

There is no conversion utility for .bup files.

Just copy the files onto a USB stick.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: boowho

Offline boowho

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2024, 06:38:43 PM »
What message do you get when you try to load it into the CVP? I have never tried this, but doubt it is possible, since the two keyboards are different. Hope someone can answer.

Just says "not a valid file".

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2024, 07:05:12 PM »

Thanks

Hi boowho,

A .BUP backup file mainly contains the user-defined system settings as well as, depending on the model, the user effect settings, user MIDI settings and/or MusicFinder settings. The .BUP file also contains the contents of the user drive, i.e. the files stored there such as Styles, Registration Bank files, Voice Set files, Multi Pad Bank files, etc.

.BUP backup files are always model-specific, i.e. they cannot be used on another model. Using it on any other model would make no sense. There is no way to "convert" a .BUP file for another model, nor is there any way to extract the included user drive files from a .BUP file.

As already mentioned: Please simply copy the files from the S910 user drive (e.g. styles) to a USB stick and then use this on the CVP-605. By the way, the internal User drive of the S910 is only about 2.4 MB (megabytes!) in size, so there is only space for a relatively few files in it anyway ...

By the way, I don't think S910 registrations work directly on the CVP-605. However, if necessary, you could use Murray Best's "Yamaha Registration Manager" to convert the S910 Registration Banks to the CVP-605 format:
>>> https://www.psrtutorial.com/util/best.html

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)