Author Topic: Yamaha has got to be Joking, right  (Read 7365 times)

Offline KurtAgain

Re: Yamaha has got to be Joking, right
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2024, 09:44:14 AM »
What I really need is not more styles, but rather that the keyboard doesn't mess up so often. After all this time, it should know that I wanted to press the other note, shouldn't it? I think I need AI in the next keyboard. The older I get, the more AI I seem to need. ;)

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2024, 10:28:47 AM »
@KurtAgain: Thank you for that interesting short excerpt from Praxisbuch, which kinda explains why "it is as it is".
Btw. No AI please! It's mistakes that makes our music authentic and unique  :)

I think we're probably all guilty of a bit of 'file hoarding', but be realistic about downloaded styles, and voices. I mean, how many of them do you actually use? Do you really need those 600 R&B styles? Or 700 Ballroom styles?
I think the same way.
For two hours continuous playing, we only need about 40 styles! And even those styles will already have basic similarities, because we usually only play particular music genre -more or less. That is, by using one good style, we can make several song specific styles out of it (the difference is mainly in arrangement and tempo) -I'm taking about simple pop/entertaining music, of course.
Listen to Status Quo, Fats Domino, Modern talking, etc. (they sold millions of records) -all their best songs have the same basic rhythm. And country music is no different. What I'm saying is, if we would have 400 generic country styles, then they would sound pretty much the same.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline ton37

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2024, 11:19:56 AM »

Btw. No AI please! It's mistakes that makes our music authentic and unique  :)

Bogdan
Good Grace... Glad to read, so the happy accidents in my music are very authentic and unique ... it's a shame no one likes it ..  ;D ;D
My best regards,
Ton

Offline EileenL

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2024, 02:09:02 PM »
I agree Keith,
  If we are honest how many styles do we actually use whether entertaining or just playing at home. I would guess under a hundred and yet many have thousands stored away. Think of the time taken trying to find one. Time that could be spent playing.

The following users thanked this post: hans1966, Divemaster

Offline mikf

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2024, 02:27:35 PM »
Some enthusiasts get a lot of fun out of making styles that are really close to the original recording arrangement. Even going to great lengths to get that perfect guitar sound. And if that floats their boat, great. But no amount of work put into the style will compensate for mediocre playing or singing out of tune. And the other side of that coin is that the good players and good singers often don’t worry that much about style ‘accuracy’. They know what listeners hear.
Mike
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 03:07:42 PM by mikf »

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2024, 03:50:54 PM »
Complaining over a machine you don’t have or can afford is so idiotic, so I say enough now

Let me assure you, without batting an eye, I could fill your house up with boxes of Genos 2 keyboards.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: KurtAgain

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2024, 04:09:16 PM »
I agree Keith,
  If we are honest how many styles do we actually use whether entertaining or just playing at home. I would guess under a hundred and yet many have thousands stored away. Think of the time taken trying to find one. Time that could be spent playing.

Actually 400 different styles at a minimum. 25 different one hour sets each containing 16 songs. Nobody hears a repeated song without it being requested until I rotate through each set.  ;D 

Offline mikf

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2024, 04:29:58 PM »
But that assumes every song needs a different style, and that is not necessary. I remember watching our old friend Don Mason do a a full evening at his restaurant, and he never used anything except on board styles. And he didn’t use fraction of them. He was a quality player and nice singer.
When you play a style that is close, set the right tempo, play your own intros and endings well, and set a nice vocal over them, you really don’t need that many for typical live play in a club, restaurant or care home. When I played with small live bands we couldn’t exactly reproduce recordings - or even tried to.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: motekmusic, Gunnar Jonny

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2024, 04:58:49 PM »
Some enthusiasts get a lot of fun out of making styles that are really close to the original recording arrangement. Even going to great lengths to get that perfect guitar sound. And if that floats their boat, great.
I do that sometimes mainly because of two reasons:
1. If I particularly like some song -main reason.
2. To find out what I'm able to make on my keyboard -to learn actually.

That is, I'm not under pressure and I don't feel the need to prove something to anyone. Most of the time I just play the same melodies again and again  :)

Btw. I agree with post that you just wrote.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline Paula

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2024, 08:47:59 PM »
my thoughts on styles
when playing a song I don't need to have the style sound exactly as the original artist who made the song famous , I am me  I am not Dolly or Johnny Cash or whoever, I listen to You Tube and find most of the time that the song I am about to play has been done by many different musicians and in different styles by many different people so I like to make the song my own, I do usually tweak and modify a style as well as add multi pads  and  I sometimes buy a style that works for the song I don't want to spend all my time making styles I want to play and enjoy my Key Board
 I do have the Genos and I like it much maybe someday a Genos 2 I am sure they are now the best right now my pocketbook. says keep the Genos.
 Paula D
You Tube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1xEYzY5g_0Nd5G9TkMY6mA/videos
Genos 1,Tyros 4 and Bose S1 Pro, Bose L1 Mod 2 w/tonematch
PSR S970

Offline Toril S

« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2024, 11:35:43 PM »
I agree.
I make my own songs, so I mostly prefer "generic" styles. And I am not impressed by keyboards with many preset styles, because many of these styles are useless for me. Styles that I will never use. I therefore wish that you could delete those, and import different styles into the memory of the keyboard. But then it would be chaos, so I know that will never happen :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2024, 12:36:27 AM »
The only Country music for me is Tony Joe White :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2024, 04:45:28 PM »
Yep that's country alright.

But you gotta have a custom style to do it.  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjEYPvfMrCE

Offline Stewart Girlock

« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2024, 02:24:28 PM »
I have well over 700 songs most of which are linked to separate styles...you can find  thousands of styles online most of them right here.

On top these Yamaha has given away free software that's extremely easy to use and allows anyone with little  or no music knowledge or even playing ability to make styles of their own from standard midi files and even audio.

The idea is to  use the time spent grousing about what styles are or are not included and find out just what you can do yourself.

As for European styles included I find most fun. I'd swap most of the rock ones for them. Plus I doubt we'd have what we have if it were not for Europe and other countries keeping the hobby keyboard market afloat. Most of the tutorials and  and demos out there come from the other side of the Atlantic. NOT to mention the manufacture of the instruments we depend on for our enjoyment.

If you want it any easier just turn on satellite radio and sit back and enjoy.

Offline pjd

« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2024, 06:42:42 PM »
Plus I doubt we'd have what we have if it were not for Europe and other countries keeping the hobby keyboard market afloat. Most of the tutorials and  and demos out there come from the other side of the Atlantic. NOT to mention the manufacture of the instruments we depend on for our enjoyment.

Seriously. The rising tide floats all boats, so I'm grateful to all customers who help float my life-raft.  :)

Speaking of needs, what do people in Balkans do for all those 5/8, 7/8, 11/8 and 13/8 folk tunes?  :o I remember when Milcho Leviev joined the Don Ellis Orchestra and 19/8 was a walk in the park for him. Check  "33 222 1 222" -- find a style for that!  :)

Have fun and love music -- even if it isn't your own -- pj

Re: Yamaha has got to be Joking, rightthat
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2024, 05:44:17 PM »
I'm very happy with the Styles available from Yamaha (mainly in my case Genos 1, and also Genos2 adapted to Genos1), including the vast choice from the Styles section of this Site.

I fully agree with members who like to "taylor" a generic Style to fit a specific song, adjusting that Style having in mind the feeling of that particular song. It's an amazing skill that pays a lot of satisfaction.

Actually I arranged on my Genos1 about 450 song/Styles so far. Often the original Style is in a category having nothing to do with the target song and its genre, if you consider the category Yamaha has put that Style in. But that's a lot of fun.
And the more you work on these adaptations, the better the qualitative result,

In short, having a starting base of around 1000 styles means being able to easily create an enormous quantity of Styles/Songs,
also thanks to the possibility of significantly modifying a single style to use it in different styles/songs.

OK Yamaha!
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.