Author Topic: Sustain Pedal and Single fingered chords.  (Read 1327 times)

Offline shezza

Sustain Pedal and Single fingered chords.
« on: February 11, 2024, 02:38:33 PM »
I am thinking of buying a keyboard, does the Yamaha's allow me to use single finger chords with auto accompaniment with a sustain pedal. What I want to do is use the single finger chords and the the backing,, intro ending etc. but for it to carry on till I take my foot off the sustain pedal. Not carry on playing till I hit another chord.

Offline BogdanH

Re: Sustain Pedal and Single fingered chords.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2024, 03:58:19 PM »
Single finger chord detection is simple: you just set Fingering Type to Single Finger.

You can start/stop accompaniment by setting foot pedal to Synchro Start On/Off: Accompaniment will stop when you press pedal shortly and will start again when you press chord key -that is, you don't need to keep pedal pressed.
Of course that's also possible without using a pedal, by simply pressing SYNC START button on panel.

Above is true for Genos and PSR-S keyboards.

Bogdan
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 04:01:28 PM by BogdanH »
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline mikf

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2024, 04:02:26 PM »
I’m not sure your your question is clear, but sustain isn’t about start/stopping the accompaniment. It’s about holding notes that you play. Taking your foot of the sustain pedal will not stop accompaniment.  But you can set up the pedal to do other things, like for example style stop / start instead of sustain, described above by Bogdan. Depends which keyboard you are considering.
Mike
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 04:06:49 PM by mikf »

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2024, 08:53:39 PM »
Sadly, Yamaha never joined Korg on the ability to swtich accompaniment memory on/off (you would need to use registrations to accomplish this). But on Korg, if you turn acmp memory on, then it holds until you change chords. But if you turn memory off, it stops playing the backing (except the drums keep going) once you let go. I do wish Yamaha had added that option as well (yes I'm aware of chord cancel, but it's not as intuitive)

Chord cancel on a Yamaha is achieved by playing 1 consecutive semitones (e.g. C, C#, D) and will turn off the acmp, but leave the drums running. However, there's usually a cymbal crash that gets triggered as well, which I find a bit to harsh (ok, it's pretty gentle sounding on the Genos 2; it was really harsh back in the PSR3000 days). It's almost simpler to just turn the acmp button on/off

Mark

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2024, 12:40:40 PM »
Sadly, Yamaha never joined Korg on the ability to swtich accompaniment memory on/off (you would need to use registrations to accomplish this). But on Korg, if you turn acmp memory on, then it holds until you change chords. But if you turn memory off, it stops playing the backing (except the drums keep going) once you let go. I do wish Yamaha had added that option as well (yes I'm aware of chord cancel, but it's not as intuitive)

Chord cancel on a Yamaha is achieved by playing 1 consecutive semitones (e.g. C, C#, D) and will turn off the acmp, but leave the drums running. However, there's usually a cymbal crash that gets triggered as well, which I find a bit to harsh (ok, it's pretty gentle sounding on the Genos 2; it was really harsh back in the PSR3000 days). It's almost simpler to just turn the acmp button on/off

Mark

Hi Mark,

You can achieve this on Yamaha keyboards by turning ACMP off and then immediately turning it back on (i.e. pressing the ACMP button twice). So the accompaniment is interrupted, but the drums continue to play. When you play the next chord, the accompaniment starts again. (ACMP can also be assigned to a foot pedal.)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 12:42:58 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline DerekA

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2024, 02:03:00 PM »
This request sounds a little unusual, so to get a good answer I think you'll need to give a little more information.

+ Is this just a one-off effect you want to achieve once during a song?
+ Or do you want this behaviour following every chord change?
+ Do you also need the sustain pedal to be performing the 'normal' RH sustain function at the same time?
+ What keyboard model(s) are you looking at?
Genos

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2024, 07:30:33 PM »
Hi Mark,

You can achieve this on Yamaha keyboards by turning ACMP off and then immediately turning it back on (i.e. pressing the ACMP button twice). So the accompaniment is interrupted, but the drums continue to play. When you play the next chord, the accompaniment starts again. (ACMP can also be assigned to a foot pedal.)

Best regards,
Chris

LOL - yes I know; You quoted me using that as a solution.  ;) (not a very good one in my opinion)
I *do* however use *registrations* to do that (turn acmp on and off), and that works fine.
I just find in the middle of playing, the only buttons I want to hit are Endings, maybe a fill in. ACMP is too far to the left for me to want to take my hands off to press, since it's usually the right hand that I use to press buttons.

Mark

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2024, 09:15:15 PM »
LOL - yes I know; You quoted me using that as a solution.  ;) (not a very good one in my opinion)
I *do* however use *registrations* to do that (turn acmp on and off), and that works fine.
I just find in the middle of playing, the only buttons I want to hit are Endings, maybe a fill in. ACMP is too far to the left for me to want to take my hands off to press, since it's usually the right hand that I use to press buttons.

Mark

Thanks for your feedback, Mark!

I know that this solution (press ACMP twice) to temporarily disable the accompaniment is "actually" known (or should be known). But I still wanted to mention it here again. ;)

And yes, the position of the ACMP button is a bit awkward, but you could also assign the function to an Assignable button to make it easier/quicker to use.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline SciNote

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2024, 05:57:10 AM »
Sounds like they want the full auto-accompaniment to play as long as the pedal is held down, but then for the musical parts (like the chords and counter-point lines) to stop when they lift off the pedal -- but I'm guessing they'd still want the drums to continue and keep the beat until it's time for the next chord.  But yes, we'd probably need a little more detail, such as, would you want the bass line to keep playing in the background?  Or would you want everything but the drums to stop?  Or would you want everything, INCLUDING the drums, to stop -- resulting in silence for the background until you hit the pedal again?
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Offline mikf

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2024, 01:55:31 PM »
Something about this thread isn’t making sense - the OP posts this question on Feb 11 stating they are thinking of buying a Yamaha Keyboard. But the OP has been a member a long time and has 95 posts on the forum stretching back more than 5 years about various Yamaha arrangers they claim to own? And if this was the case they would obviously know how sustain works.
Hmmm….. :(
Mike

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2024, 02:47:36 PM »
Yes Mike, strange indeed -I noticed that after I posted.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube