Author Topic: Song recording  (Read 809 times)

Offline gmct

Song recording
« on: February 07, 2024, 12:48:13 AM »
Hi, I am new to the Forum and just got my new SX 900 a few weeks ago. I have read just about everything that I can find on a multi-recording and audio recording and such. I am wondering if you have to record the whole song or can you do it in pieces? For example, can you record your intro, verse course and so on and then put the song together? I cannot find any information regarding this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in regards to this, I also see that there is a loop on the song playback however I have tried that and the loop doesn't start quickly enough after the first section is over so I don't see how that's a viable option. Thanks

Offline mikf

Re: Song recording
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2024, 12:55:13 AM »
You should record initially as a midi. Midi is very flexible and you can do almost anything. You can work in sections, record at slower speed, edit, correct, etc. Then when you have the whole thing as you want it then you can transfer to an audio file, pretty much at the press of a button.
My advice is to just learn by playing around with  recording midi, read the manual, ask specific questions here, and you will learn.
Mike
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 01:35:14 AM by mikf »

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2024, 10:27:52 AM »
You can't record separate MIDI files for each section then join them together, it has to be done within a single MIDI file.

If you want to build up in sections, you will want to use the "punch in/out" feature on the MIDI recording. Using this, it only records in the specified measures and leaves the rest untouched. If you don't do this, then when you come to record your chorus you will find the verse measures have been erased.

Genos

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2024, 04:03:47 PM »
I’m old fashioned, for sure.  I play selected styles, voices, parts, etc. from the SX 900 straight into my DAW (PreSonus Studio One) in real time on separate tracks.  Then, you can tinker all day trimming, cutting, pasting, or whatever, to one’s delight. 

The following users thanked this post: mhack

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2024, 04:32:11 PM »
Not sure I would call working with a DAW old fashioned 8)
Yes, Derek is correct you cannot assemble a midi from separate midis on the keyboard. But you can lay the whole thing down, then work on it section by section till you are happy. For example you can re-do any section using overdub or drop in techniques, as long as there is something there in the first place.
If you are stretched recording whole songs in one go, do this as a basic technique…… get organized, then try to record the whole song at a slower speed. Don’t worry about mistakes, you fix them later. Just get something laid down. Then save it and also make a copy (in case you screw up later). Then start fixing errors and making changes a section at a time using drop in techniques (see your manual or a utube video on how). At stages along the way keep making a copy (name them xxx1 etc). Then you always have a back up.
When you are happy transfer to wav or MP3 on the keyboard.
You will probably get stuck on some steps to begin with, we all do. But ask specific question here and keep at it. It will get easier. But be aware that recording can be difficult for any less than experienced players. Your propensity to make errors increases dramatically as soon as you hit that record button.
Mike

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2024, 07:28:01 PM »
Download a copy of Audacity from: https://www.audacityteam.org/ and you will have all the recording latitude you will ever need. It's free, user friendly and lots of fun.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: mhack

Offline gmct

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2024, 09:58:23 PM »
Hi everyone. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and for your very helpful information and input. It is greatly appreciated. Thank you I will definitely continue to experiment. Thanks so much