Author Topic: Transpose Part (voice)  (Read 4526 times)

Offline Patt22

Re: Transpose Part (voice)
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2024, 10:14:53 AM »
Hello KurtEncore

Well done, that's how I would have programmed it, with the harmonizer and by going to the effect's cogwheel, you can adjust the volume of the harmonized voice.
When I play a new Style, I always look at how Yamaha has programmed (via Direct Access) the harmonizer/arpeggiator on the OTS, including the cogwheel.
The Multi function is very rarely programmed in the original styles ... and yet!

Genos-mfc10-GroovyBand Live Platinium-VoiceLive3X-DRX15- UI24R- HF SM35 ...

Music is a Wave, choose the right Frequency to touch the Soul of those who listen to you ...

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2024, 06:35:59 PM »
If it's not possible (in a simple way similar to how we now can Octave shift or de-tuning of a single 'part'), that is OK, and I'll happily keep enjoying playing my Genos.  It was just something I *thought* (perhaps mistakenly) that I'd done on an earlier arranger.  Maybe it was on my Technics KN arrangers that I have this memory!  :-)

Thanks for the responses and discussion!
-Jim

Yeah it may be possible on a KN, I haven't touched one in over 20 years, so I can't remember anymore (they shut down Technics instrument division in 2002) but they pedal solution is quite easy, and doesn't need an analog (FC3) pedal, just on or off is fine. But having a mod wheel (which the Genos lacks) would be even easier, which is why, as much as I like the joystick for guitar solos, I wish there were a mod weel still next to it. Mod wheels are superior for hold functions, like pitch shift, organ rotary speed, cross fade, and well... modulation  ;D

You *could* also assign the pitch bend to a slider (direct Acess, then move the slider, then select voice)... oh wait, my mistake. That's only Genos 2. I just tested on the 2.13 Genos and it doesn't have that assignment. Stick with pedal, but know that the G2 has a lot more options for hold functions

The reason the 1+5 harmony doesn't work for a pitch shift of +7 is because you can't remove the original note (not yet anyway)

The pedal you'd have to remember to keep it depressed while shifting.

Mark

Offline KurtAgain

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2024, 10:51:34 PM »
The reason the 1+5 harmony doesn't work for a pitch shift of +7 is because you can't remove the original note (not yet anyway)

Mark, what do you mean with "you can't remove the original note"? You can by setting the volume of R1 to zero - but why should you?

If you set the Harmony type to "1+5" and set "Assign" to "Multi" and activate R1 and R2 then R1 plays only the original note and R2 plays only +7 semitones. With these settings R2 does not play the original note.

But what do you want to achieve?

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2024, 10:59:30 PM »
Mark, what do you mean with "you can't remove the original note"? You can by setting the volume of R1 to zero - but why should you?

If you set the Harmony type to "1+5" and set "Assign" to "Multi" and activate R1 and R2 then R1 plays only the original note and R2 plays only +7 semitones. With these settings R2 does not play the original note.

But what do you want to achieve?

You're right, I forgot about setting multi instead of a specific R1, R2, R3! Neat! But kind of wasteful: R3 won't sound at all, and you'll cutoff the sound for R1.

Doing the pedal pitch shift, you can play all 3 R1+R2+R3 (if so desired, although it would make more sense to do R3 onlly as the shift, and play R1 + R2 normally)

But still neat! I'd used the multi but never thought about using it to split the harmony like that (I use it to seperate Octaves); that's new use for me, thanks!

Mark
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 11:51:28 PM by Amwilburn »

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2024, 11:23:42 PM »
Yes, that method sounds like it would work ... I hadn't thought of using the "Harmony" feature as I assumed it would change the interval to match the chords I play, where in my examples I didn't want the interval to change.  What you wrote should be a workable way to do it . . .

Thanks!
Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

Offline Patt22

« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2024, 10:11:20 AM »
Hello,

What surprises me is that this little-known harmonizer option is so effective with an assignable pedal, I programmed it on my Mfc10 to be permanently accessible...
A little tip: as with the voice harmonizers, if you have an absence of harmonized voices while playing ... introduce a 7th, 4th or other chord that incorporates a note that the harmonizer can't find to make its harmony, hence the absence!

This Multi mode is very useful for separating solo instruments, particularly in Celtic styles, and can be combined with a pedal to open up cool harmony play ... by choosing voice combinations 1-2, 2-3, 1-3, 1-2-3 ... it enriches your playing nicely ...
Genos-mfc10-GroovyBand Live Platinium-VoiceLive3X-DRX15- UI24R- HF SM35 ...

Music is a Wave, choose the right Frequency to touch the Soul of those who listen to you ...