Author Topic: PSR Register Failure Fixed  (Read 783 times)

Offline PatrickPowers

PSR Register Failure Fixed
« on: February 02, 2024, 01:35:06 PM »
A couple of the registration keys on my PSR failed.  There are only nine so that's pretty severe.  I fixed it with a "soft" reboot. 

Save everything you want to save by writing it down. 
Turn the thing off, hold down the highest key, turn it back on, keep holding it down until the reboot is done.

It reset all the registrations and it took over an hour to enter them back in but it was worth it.

Offline Fred Smith

Re: PSR Register Failure Fixed
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2024, 03:31:45 PM »
A couple of the registration keys on my PSR failed.  There are only nine so that's pretty severe.  I fixed it with a "soft" reboot. 

Save everything you want to save by writing it down. 
Turn the thing off, hold down the highest key, turn it back on, keep holding it down until the reboot is done.

It reset all the registrations and it took over an hour to enter them back in but it was worth it.

What's a "registration key"? Is it one of the reg buttons? If so, I thought there were only 8 on a PSR.

How did you "reset" the registrations? Whenever I do a soft reboot, it takes little time to restore the keyboard to my liking because I have a setup registration which I can load to do the job.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline andyg

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2024, 06:15:22 PM »
Some of the smallest PSR keyboards (E3xx series, I think) had the ability to store 9 registrations using the keypad. It had no dedicated registration memory buttons. Maybe that is what is meant here?

I think it's possible to save everything stored in the keyboard as a BUP backup file, but it's ages since I had to use a PSR-E3xx. All my students had at least an E4xx model before taking exams as even Grade 1 calls for fast registration changes, so my use of the small ones is very limited. (By Grade 2, most had upgraded to a pre-owned S9xx model!)

Assuming that you do have such a keyboard, now you have the settings safely restored, it would be worth reading through the manual about backups. If you find yourself needing more registrations as your playing requires them, perhaps consider an upgrade at some point - you'll never look back! :)
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline SciNote

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2024, 10:12:25 AM »
Unless he means 8 dedicated registration buttons and maybe the 9th one is the memory write button?  I've seen that on some PSR keyboards, like an older PSR-1700.  But yeah, he could just be talking about the 9 available registrations on the PSR-E300 series keyboards.
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios