Author Topic: Some questions  (Read 1205 times)

Offline maarkr

Some questions
« on: February 01, 2024, 04:43:33 PM »
1. What? No symphony tympani drums?

2. Any style recommendations for little kids?  or even share some of your favorite freestlyle or other styles to play?

3. Style creator... Why do I not get a get a smooth playback with some recorded channels of some styles?  Is there info embedded in the style, such as groove settings, RTR or quantizing, that was saved for that style, so the style must be initialized to clear all settings?  Seems that deleting some channels doesn't clear all settings so if I try to record, for instance an 8th note pattern, it won't play back properly.  Maybe I need to attach an audio file to show what I get, but if you are building many new songs from preset styles, you know what I'm talking about.
aka Gene Maarkr. PSR-SX900, FA-06, PX-5S, Yamaha drums, Epi Les Paul, Yamaha bass, Studio One DAW w Waves, NI, IKM, iZotope.

Offline Amwilburn

Re: Some questions
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2024, 07:19:36 PM »
1. There should be, under Percussion (yup; it's on page 3)
2. For kids? you mean like AniFantasy, which is the style for "It's a Small World"? Or do you mean freeplay styles, so that they don't have to worry about tempo and bars? I didn't recall seeing any on sx600
3. Style creator? It sounds like you're having an issue with style playback? If you change chords off beat, some of the notes can 'bend' to the new chord awkwardly (one of areas I think Korg is smarter by auto quantizing live chord changes; I need Yamaha to adopt this. And SSS)

Or perhaps you're talking about the gap when you don't line up your timing *exactly* when programming? In which case I'd suggest you sync start when you start recording a style track, that helps a *lot*

Mark

Offline hans1966

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2024, 03:21:25 AM »
Hello Mark, the sx600 has the free style "Pelicula Eterea" in the "Movie&Show" Folder

From what I can see in the signature
Maarkr, he says he has the sx900.

If you are looking for free styles, this one already comes with six free styles from the factory
and they are:

1.OnBroadway
2.MovieHorns
3.EtherealMovie
4.EtherealVoice
5.OrganHymn
6.BrassBand

Greetings

Hans
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 03:23:34 AM by hans1966 »
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2024, 07:40:00 PM »
Yup Hans, I must be getting old, and misread it as sx600

Offline hans1966

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2024, 12:42:06 AM »
Hi Mark, don't worry.

You're not the only one these things happen to.

A few days ago I almost spilled the coffee on the Omelet, thinking it was the cup, thank goodness my sister was nearby and yelled at me in time, otherwise it would have been an Omelet covered in coffee juice!! ;D ;D ;D

Greetings

Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline maarkr

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2024, 05:48:44 PM »
follow up:
1. What? No symphony tympani drums?
   There are no tympani (kettle) drums there.  I checked the drum styles and did a search in the data manual, anyway I made a multipad set from some samples I had.

3. Style creator... Why do I not get a get a smooth playback with some recorded channels of some styles?
    There's some embedded info going on that prevents a new channel from being recorded with the exact rhythm I want.  It is most obvious if you record a snare, for instance, at a steady 16th beat.  It gets to some portion of the recording and no sound is heard on a few beats.  I was reading about the Channel Edit elements and it said it applies to the entire style... I need to confirm if it is still there if I copy a blank initialized style channel into the style? otherwise I need to use an initialized style instead of an existing style for building a new song. 
aka Gene Maarkr. PSR-SX900, FA-06, PX-5S, Yamaha drums, Epi Les Paul, Yamaha bass, Studio One DAW w Waves, NI, IKM, iZotope.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2024, 08:16:02 PM »
Sorry, maarkr, your request still isn't completely clear to me;

1: You mean a timpani roll? Or do you mean several pitches of them? Because if you mean the latter, you just play different notes. If you mean Timpani roll, then yes, it's sounds artificial, but on the sx900 the only solution is to use a harmony/echo "Tremelo" for a single repeating note or "Trill" for trilling between 2 notes. The only Yamaha arranger i've encountered with a sampled timpani roll is the Genos 2

If you mean that Timpani's are hit with metal sticks vs kettle drums with mallets, then no, there is no seperate kettle drum. Again, the Genos 2 timpani has a *much* softer sound when rolling, it sounds like it may be using mallets.

3: Not 100% sure what you mean; unless you're recording a song with 2 completely different sets of DSP's from 2 different styles, in which case yes, there is a hiccup, there always is when you send too much information all at once. If you're talking about just using 1 style, then I don't know the issue, but if you're using multiple styes, and there's a huge pause when you insert the 2nd one, it's because it's clearing and resetting all the DSP's

To avoid this, either set them to the same DSPs (if possible) or conversely, stagger the dsp assignment sysex timing in the midi file so it doesn't try to do 100 things during the same tick count.

Mark