Author Topic: Changing Main and Layer in Live Performance  (Read 704 times)

Offline s_cristi

Changing Main and Layer in Live Performance
« on: January 31, 2024, 09:38:50 AM »
Hello!

I don't have the keyboard at home, I only play it on the church on a schedule.
I am trying to find a way in which I can change fast the 2 right voices on the DGX 670 during live performance

Currently this is how I am doing it:
1) I am setting Main Off and Back On to select it, then I go to the Voice Category I want to use
2) then I do the same for R2 (Layer) voice

On the PSR we have the Part Selector above the On/Off Part,
Is there a similar way to do it on the DGX?  (maybe a shortcut like DirectAcess+PartOn/OFF ?)

I am planning to setup some registrations for my favorite voice combinations but I am still hoping on also finding a more efficient way to use it in live performances.

Cheers to all!
Cristi
Blessed be the Lord God Almighty!
PSR Sx700  8)

Offline overover

Re: Changing Main and Layer in Live Performance
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2024, 09:57:51 AM »
Hi Cristi,

I found the following note on page 38 in the DGX-670 Owner's Manual, it may help you:

NOTE
You can select Voices for the Main and Layer parts simply by using the Voice category selection buttons. While holding down one of the VOICE category selection buttons, press another VOICE category selection button. The Voice corresponding to the first pressed button is assigned to the Main part while the Voice of the second pressed button is
assigned to the Layer part.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline s_cristi

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2024, 10:29:38 AM »
Hi Chris,

that's an interesting feature let's say  :P
I assume it will load the latest voice selected from each category. However, sometimes I use 2 voices from the same main category

update:
I've noticed now on  a YT video that the Part can be selected via the rotating Data Dial and then Hit enter to select the voice
not a very fast option but still an option :)

Thank you!
PSR Sx700  8)

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2024, 11:39:20 AM »
DGX670. The way I use my Voice selecting.
I make various RGTs (Registrations) of my favorite Main & Layer Voices.
Save these RGTs with Style NOT ticked in a folder (Voices RGTs) .
You can now use any style with any of these Voices RGTs.
DGX670

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2024, 02:00:16 PM »
Yes, like Graham says, registrations are designed for exactly this - fast changes in live playing.
 You can - and many do - have a whole bank of favorite voice combinations sitting ready to change at a single touch. If you do this, get a piece of masking tape and stick it on the keyboard next to the registration buttons with what is in each registration written on the masking tape. That way you don’t even have to remember.
As a bigger point, styles are seldom something you need to change on the fly. Typically you set the style between songs, so there is always plenty of time. But voices, like you say, often need to be changed in the fly.
There are many discussions about how to use registrations, but something to consider is to select your style via a play list using song names. Remember that styles can all be changed easily to some extent, on the fly anyway, using variation buttons. And leave the voice registration bank up ‘all the time’ for voice changes on the fly, and as the mood takes you.
Mike
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 03:34:21 PM by mikf »

Offline s_cristi

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2024, 08:16:13 AM »
Thank you all for your suggestions and for the quick responses  :)

While I am pretty aware of the Yamaha's arrangers possibilities (SX700 user myself) the DGX interface is not that much intuitive and easy to setup for me

However, it's a great keyboard, nice feeling to play, good sounds and style control is now almost complete (part volume, part mute, etc...) it is what it is and surely a great bang for the bucks.

BR
Cristi
PSR Sx700  8)