Author Topic: New PSR A5000 (I wish I have a Genos) user is here, saying hello  (Read 1132 times)

Offline joeb

the subject says it all. I have had the pleasure of owning a GEM WK2 Oriental in 1999 and sold it sometime in 2015. I then purchased a Korg PA900, I enjoyed it a lot then sold it and bought a PA4X to find out that it had the same styles, somewhat dull sounds and sold that too. I later decided to switch to Yamaha, and ended up purchasing a MODX. I realized later that although it has great sounds, it was not an arranger so I ended up getting the PSR A5000, which I enjoy but if I could afford a Genos I would have done that instead  :)

For a long time I have enjoyed visiting this website. Comparing Korg to Yamaha, I think Yamaha wins hands down when it comes to an online community such as yours that is large, supportive and truly wonder little online oasis filled with goodies and wonderful people who love to contribute and help each other. I enjoy mostly western style music, latin jazz and bossa nova. I got the PSR A5000 since I thought I could get the best of both worlds, some great sounding middle eastern sounds and styles and also western sounds/styles.

I am a little disappointed at this time to find out that many of the western type expansion packs offered by Yamaha were made for the SX600,700,900, Genos, S970, ... and Tyros 5 and those same expansion packs are not offered for the PSR A5000 which is almost the same as the SX700 or 900!

I have contacted Yamaha inquiring about the Greetings From Italy v2 expansion pack since I am very much interested in the styles that comes with it and some of the sounds and found that they don't offer it.

I don't understand why not, a style file is basically midi notes, so I feel that I am limited with what I can use from Yamaha's own expansion packs at this time.

This website has offered me a good selection and I hope to learn a lot and enjoy this community for many years to come!
Current owner of PSR A5000, Novation 61SL MK 2
Former owner of MODX, PA4X, PA900 and GEM WK2

Offline Roger Brenizer

Re: New PSR A5000 (I wish I have a Genos) user is here, saying hello
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2024, 04:10:10 AM »
Hi Joe,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for becoming a member. I’m sure you'll learn a lot about your PSR-A5000 keyboard here on our forum and will experience many pleasurable hours playing it.

You’ll want to be sure to visit the Home page and check out some of the tutorials you will find links to there. The following link will take you to the Home page of the website:

https://psrtutorial.com/

Should you later decide to become a supporting member, which will include lifetime membership, other forum boards will become available to you, as well as a wealth of additional musical knowledge; however, there is absolutely no obligation to do so. You may also use the following link to discover the full benefit of becoming a Supporting Member of the PSR Tutorial.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,15536.0.html

You’ll also gain access to an Excel Song Index database, made available to supporting members by our good friend, Peter (XeeniX) and maintained by another good friend, Runner4Fun, which presently contains 111,609 song titles in 2,936 indexed books. This index is updated often.

In lieu of making a donation only, you may also order any of the website’s resources, which can be found at the following link:

https://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/productsum.html

Joe Waters updated “Supporting the PSR Tutorial”, on August 27, 2017, which can be found here:

https://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/index.html

We’re so glad you've decided to become a member and very happy you've decided to become a part of this great forum family. If you have any questions, then please just ask. Many of our members are always very willing to help you.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2024, 04:25:07 AM »
Hello and Welcome Joeb

For more latin styles check out the Onacimus Style page:

https://www.psrtutorial.com/sty/collections/onacimus.html

There a lot of extra styles that ought to work in your keyboard that will keep you busy.

Regards
Drake

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2024, 09:14:30 AM »
Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum, Joe, and thank you for the words about yourself!

All the best from Germany,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline joeb

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2024, 05:29:14 AM »
Thank you Overover, Drake and Roger for your kind words and help.

I just ordered styles #17 to support this page. I will continue to support your effort again in the future with additional purchases.

Roger, I am not sure if you or Joe needs this, the transaction ID is 99581994JL7744242 for the purchase, not sure how to download the content, let me know.

Thank you again
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 05:34:44 AM by joeb »

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2024, 05:52:07 AM »
Thank you Overover, Drake and Roger for your kind words and help.

I just ordered styles #17 to support this page. I will continue to support your effort again in the future with additional purchases.

Roger, I am not sure if you or Joe needs this, the transaction ID is 99581994JL7744242 for the purchase, not sure how to download the content, let me know.

Thank you again

When Joe confirms your purchase tomorrow, he will update your member status to Supporter and send you download instructions for Styles #17.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

Offline joeb

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2024, 05:55:06 AM »
Thank you Roger,

I ended up sending him an email as well so he knows which purchase is for which member on this forum

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2024, 12:27:40 AM »
the subject says it all. I have had the pleasure of owning a GEM WK2 Oriental in 1999 and sold it sometime in 2015. I then purchased a Korg PA900, I enjoyed it a lot then sold it and bought a PA4X to find out that it had the same styles, somewhat dull sounds and sold that too. I later decided to switch to Yamaha, and ended up purchasing a MODX. I realized later that although it has great sounds, it was not an arranger so I ended up getting the PSR A5000, which I enjoy but if I could afford a Genos I would have done that instead  :)

For a long time I have enjoyed visiting this website. Comparing Korg to Yamaha, I think Yamaha wins hands down when it comes to an online community such as yours that is large, supportive and truly wonder little online oasis filled with goodies and wonderful people who love to contribute and help each other. I enjoy mostly western style music, latin jazz and bossa nova. I got the PSR A5000 since I thought I could get the best of both worlds, some great sounding middle eastern sounds and styles and also western sounds/styles.

I am a little disappointed at this time to find out that many of the western type expansion packs offered by Yamaha were made for the SX600,700,900, Genos, S970, ... and Tyros 5 and those same expansion packs are not offered for the PSR A5000 which is almost the same as the SX700 or 900!

I have contacted Yamaha inquiring about the Greetings From Italy v2 expansion pack since I am very much interested in the styles that comes with it and some of the sounds and found that they don't offer it.

I don't understand why not, a style file is basically midi notes, so I feel that I am limited with what I can use from Yamaha's own expansion packs at this time.

This website has offered me a good selection and I hope to learn a lot and enjoy this community for many years to come!

Korg Pa900 and PA4x share the same chipset, so you wouldn't find that much difference (however, the PA4x has more expansion ram, while the PA900 has nice built in speakers).

The PSRA5000 is *not* the same chipset as the sx700 or sx900, it's the sx600 that shares the same root sound library (but it does have the same 1GB expansion as the sx900). You can still download all the ppf versions onto your A5000, including the new re-releases for Genos 2. Search the Genos 2 board, you'll see them, including the Italy v2 pack.

Cheers,
Mark

Offline joeb

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2024, 01:44:28 AM »
Korg Pa900 and PA4x share the same chipset, so you wouldn't find that much difference (however, the PA4x has more expansion ram, while the PA900 has nice built in speakers).

The PSRA5000 is *not* the same chipset as the sx700 or sx900, it's the sx600 that shares the same root sound library (but it does have the same 1GB expansion as the sx900). You can still download all the ppf versions onto your A5000, including the new re-releases for Genos 2. Search the Genos 2 board, you'll see them, including the Italy v2 pack.

Cheers,
Mark

yes, I came across the Genos 2 PPF links on this forum and I was so happy, I downloaded them all and got the Italy v2 pack! I wish Yamaha does this for all of their other expansion packs, after all, if a sound doesn't work, you can always work around it