Author Topic: Can we save Expansion Pack sounds to user memory...then remove the  (Read 1044 times)

Offline ANAYV

Going through the 4 pre installed Expansion packs on my SX900.
I have saved the sounds I like from each pack to user memory.

Now, can I remove the Expansion packs and install newer/other ones?

OK...Yes...BUT ...will the sounds I have just saved from them, to user memory,  still be there when I remove those packs?

Trying to get my head around making a custom pack. Would this fix problem?
When I load up YEM, the screen is scaled way small, and icons are really hard to see. No other program I have used has this issue.
(Win 11).

Thanks
ANAYV

Offline BogdanH

Re: Can we save Expansion Pack sounds to user memory...then remove the
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2024, 08:07:36 PM »
As soon you install new expansion pack, all voices (voices settings actually) that you saved in user memory become useless. To be able to use them, voices must be present in expansion memory.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline ANAYV

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2024, 08:46:43 PM »
As soon you install new expansion pack, all voices (voices settings actually) that you saved in user memory become useless. To be able to use them, voices must be present in expansion memory.

Bogdan

I see. So the .wav samples are only  stored on the Expansion memory.
Thanks Bogdan.

Will making a Custom Pack in YEM allow for different sounds from different packs to be stored on one user pack?
How many sounds can fit on a pack?
Thanks

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2024, 09:01:04 PM »
I see. So the .wav samples are only  stored on the Expansion memory.
-exactly!  :)

Will making a Custom Pack in YEM allow for different sounds from different packs to be stored on one user pack?
If you only have (unlocked) *.ppf packs, then you can create new empty pack (name it to your liking) and then you import content from multiple ppf packs into your custom pack. After importing each ppf pack, you can delete unwanted content (voices, styles, registrations, etc). In short: you end up with one install pack which contains only one pack.

If you have locked (*.cpf) pack, then you can't import it into your custom pack. However when you create install pack, you can check everything in your custom pack, plus desired content in one or more cpf packs. In short: you end up with one install pack which contains multiple packs -these will be shown as folders on keyboard.
Btw. you can do that with ppf packs as well.

How many sounds can fit on a pack?
The size of install pack is limited by amount of expansion memory that your keyboard has.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2024, 01:41:07 PM »
You have 1 Gb of memory on SX900

Offline Patrick

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2024, 05:11:53 PM »
Hi, i hope Yamaha will change soon this stupid expansion memory system! it's a nightmare for all! The best thing is to have a good amount of memory in the user drive and to save all the packs in it; Then you can have all the settings ready in the user drive and you can delete what you want without the use of a computer, a network, .... All the samples will be always ready to use by the player and the system will be much easier to work with! Yamaha, you've to change this expansion memory system in the next PSR SX***, all the best Patrick  :)

Offline ANAYV

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2024, 03:35:17 PM »
-exactly!  :)
If you only have (unlocked) *.ppf packs, then you can create new empty pack (name it to your liking) and then you import content from multiple ppf packs into your custom pack. After importing each ppf pack, you can delete unwanted content (voices, styles, registrations, etc). In short: you end up with one install pack which contains only one pack.

If you have locked (*.cpf) pack, then you can't import it into your custom pack. However when you create install pack, you can check everything in your custom pack, plus desired content in one or more cpf packs. In short: you end up with one install pack which contains multiple packs -these will be shown as folders on keyboard.
Btw. you can do that with ppf packs as well.
The size of install pack is limited by amount of expansion memory that your keyboard has.

Bogdan
Thanks for this info for  Bogdan!!
Appreciate  your help!