Author Topic: In search of better pianos.....  (Read 1525 times)

In search of better pianos.....
« on: January 27, 2024, 11:21:42 PM »
I have followed some of Qui Robinez's excellent videos on how to get better pianos but have never been completely satisfied with the results.  I just came across a new package of piano voices on uTube "Red Giant Piano Pack (for Genos 1 and 2)" from an author in Italy and the first of the ten sounds really got to me.  I see no reference to this product when searching this forum:  wondering if anyone has tried this or similar products and can vouch for them?  My ears have tricked me before so I value other's opinions ::)    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edv3wsjbhlk&t=31s
Genos 1     PA5X    Kawai MP7 88

Offline pjd

Re: In search of better pianos.....
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2024, 05:34:41 PM »
I listened to the Red Giant video and the single piano sound isn't too bad. However, those piano on piano layers made me grind my teeth.  :o

Oh, well, just one opinion -- pj

The following users thanked this post: cyber swine

Offline robinez

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2024, 02:59:02 PM »
I have followed some of Qui Robinez's excellent videos on how to get better pianos but have never been completely satisfied with the results.  I just came across a new package of piano voices on uTube "Red Giant Piano Pack (for Genos 1 and 2)" from an author in Italy and the first of the ten sounds really got to me.  I see no reference to this product when searching this forum:  wondering if anyone has tried this or similar products and can vouch for them?  My ears have tricked me before so I value other's opinions ::)    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edv3wsjbhlk&t=31s

personally I don't really like that demo of the Red Giant Pack, but I do understand that people are looking for a specific piano sound, in my case I have a lot of pianos to choose from ranging from Piano Noire to PianoTeq, and they are all really different.

But to be honest, the piano sounds on the pa5x are really good, in most cases much better then some other commercial sample libraries and a great starting point for creating your own piano sound.

There are two major factors for the piano sound on any arranger:
- the use of EQ
- the use of Reverbs

With the EQ you can tailor the sound to your liking, sometimes you need two EQ's for this if you want to modify a lot of frequency bands, but that is possible.
The reverbs can be created yourself, on the Pa5X there are two Room Reverbs where you can design your own Room characteristics. This makes a huge difference on the end result.

I've showed how to create a Felt piano and how to create your own custom room in one of my latest videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9Ii5Lp5cS0

Could you elaborate on what you don't like on the sound of the pa5x pianos? what are you looking for?

The following users thanked this post: cyber swine

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2024, 07:54:53 PM »
Could you elaborate on what you don't like on the sound of the pa5x pianos? what are you looking for?

I am no doubt a musical moron because I don't know what I am looking for but I *do* know what I like.  That kinda makes it difficult to try and fashion a sound from scratch with limited technical skills and understanding.  And.... I don't dislike the PA5X pianos, I like yours, Qui, but I do honestly feel (along with some other forum members here) that the Genos pianos could be better.  Don't get upset folks, I'm just saying...
Genos 1     PA5X    Kawai MP7 88