Author Topic: Device holder for SX900  (Read 598 times)

Offline dmnphlps

Device holder for SX900
« on: January 25, 2024, 12:56:47 AM »
Hey Guys.

I recently got the SX900 and as I play frequently in church, would like to use it soon but have encountered a dilemma regarding a device holder. The usual music sheet stand that is available with the SX900 looks too basic, especially from the back which is what faces the crowd and unlike the Genos and Tyros music rests', these are just plain and unattractive.

Another option I had was to use a device holder. The keyboard stand used for the church setup is the Nowsonic Nord UStand Keyboard Stand, which when checked online, you can see that there is an attachment at the top over which a ⅝-inch screw thread can be used, typically meant for mics and such device holders. Despite seeing a few such options, I am not sure as I don't know how effective these would be in situations where I am sitting and playing and if the holder would bend further down. I am also not a huge fan of attaching it to a mic stand as this would look out of place in the church setup with the keyboard usually much further up compared to other instruments. I also saw that there are device holder attachments specifically for Genos and Tyros but don't see any of the sort for SX900.

Please let me know of any suggestions you might have, even in the form of a more attractive music rest or a device holder that could fit my needs. I usually use a phone but I also have a tablet which is around 7".

Thank you.

Re: Device holder for SX900
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2024, 09:05:47 AM »
Konig&Meyer, top quality German brand for stands, makes an extension for notebook that could eventually fit your need (I don't know if it would fit your keyboard stand):
https://www.k-m.de/en/products/keyboard-stands/keyboard-tables/18815-laptop-holder-black?c=171

For Genos I have a Konig&Meyer keyboard stand, far the best and most professional I ever had or seen. And I added an extension for an Hammond module that works perfectly:
https://app.box.com/s/97swp1l5hya1k4y1i2wokcyyhff4glt9

One can fix these "arms" in various way, to be placed in a convenient position.

Ciao,

Angelo
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 09:09:23 AM by MadrasGiaguari »
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2024, 09:38:42 AM »
hello dmnphlps and welcome to forum,

Sorry, but I have no specific idea.. just sharing some of my thoughts -so you don't waste your time reading this  :)

Spider stands are extremely practical for transporting and they look cool, but here it pretty much ends. Possibilities for attachments of additional stuff are practically non existent (the screw on the top only serves "it has it too" purpose -more or less).
Now.. if the only reason for not using existing music sheet stand is because it's not attractive, then I'm afraid that you will just need to accept that.
What would I do? Well, I have a 3-D printer and so I would probably try to make a custom holder which I would attach on top of column. So, if you have a general idea of how a holder should look alike, then maybe you should check if someone nearby has a 3-D printer?

Or you buy another (more future proof) stand:

PS: I just realized that Angelo has the same idea  :)

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2024, 11:37:51 AM »
There are so many gizmos that you can attach to music stands or floor standing mike and tablet stands, already discussed as above, so I'm not going to add to that.

However, I used to play church organ, and one thing that really drives me nuts about non organ music rests is that they are always too short, and not high enough. You see, organ scores are generally produced in Landscape format, so you need a longer rest.
An average music book on A4, office, format paper is approx 17" when open. An average Organ score is 23"....a big difference.
I still have some "Extravorganza" series books here at home, and they are too long for the average arranger keyboard.music rest.

So here's an idea for you. Cut yourself a 30" x 12" piece of thin plywood. 3ply is adequate.
Place it on the music stand. There's no need to attach it, unless you wish to.
Now, clip or velcro a small but nice Ecclesiastical curtain to the top rear of the plywood to hide the music stand completely
Job done. Simple, cheap to do. Problem solved.

You now also have a longer area to place your music on. Useful as any organist will tell you.

Might help, might not, but all anyone will see, is you playing, whilst admiring your ingenuity! 😂

I learned over my lifetime that often the simplest solutions work the best. Spending money is easy.... Thriftiness is just common sense.

Keith.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 10:28:46 PM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner