Author Topic: volume pedal issue  (Read 812 times)

Offline chuckeys123

volume pedal issue
« on: January 22, 2024, 03:46:32 PM »
I have 2 different volume pedals. Hadnt used them on my psr sx900 till yesterday. Both have reverse polarity  ( floored is off, heel is max volume). One is a yamaha, and one is a moog with polarity switch. Both are reverse , even when I switch it on the moog. Is there a polarity switch function on the 900?

Offline overover

Re: volume pedal issue
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2024, 08:44:03 PM »
Hi chuckeys123,

I recommend connecting the volume pedal (expression pedal) to the foot pedal jack #2.

Please connect all pedals to the SX900 that is OFF and then turn it on. Be careful not to press/touch any of the pedals during the boot process.

Wait until the Home display appears. Then press the "Direct Access" button and move the volume pedal slightly up or down. This will open the Assignable display.

Make sure that the "Volume" function is set for the relevant foot pedal jack (#2). At the bottom of the screen, select which parts the volume pedal should affect. (For me these are basically just the Right1-3 parts.)

If the volume pedal is still working "reversed", touch the "Menu" icon (in Assignable display). There you can reverse the polarity for the currently selected pedal.

Important: Now close the Assignable display (press the EXIT button or touch the X icon) to save the changes in the System Setup.

I recommend saving your favorite pedal settings in at least one registration so you can quickly restore the settings if necessary.

Note that pedal settings can be changed at any time through registrations if they contain other pedal settings. The only way to safely avoid this (during the current session) is to use the FREEZE function.

If you have any further questions, please contact us here again.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 08:46:44 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, Dupe

Offline chuckeys123

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 09:19:03 PM »
thank you so much. I will have at it tomorrow.

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2024, 04:08:36 AM »
Thanks so much for your previous response concerning my polarity change issue.

My question is that yes, some individual programs ignore the polarity change. Other than the freeze solution, I would like to go through all my registrations and permanently change them. Would I do this by fixing and changing each program and/or registration bank? Thanks, Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Please note that the Pedal Polarity is NOT saved in the individual registrations, but rather in the so-called System Setup, i.e. in the system settings of the SX900.

So once the polarity for a particular pedal has been set correctly (whether automatically detected or set manually) and this setting has been correctly saved in the System Setup (as mentioned, by closing the Assignable display via pressing the Exit button or touching the X icon) , this pedal should also work correctly with all previously created registrations in which the relevant function (e.g. volume) was already memorized FOR THIS PEDAL JACK.

If a different function for the pedal jack in question was memorized in previously created registrations, you would have to change each individual registration in the relevant registration banks (Reg Memory buttons 1 - 8⁣) and then save the bank again.

If you always play with the same pedal settings (e.g. Pedal #1: Sustain, Pedal #2 Volume), you could make these settings by a special registration (called "Setup Registration") each time you turn on the SX900. All other registrations should then not contain any pedal settings. To remove previous pedal settings from registrations, load the bank in question and memorize each individual registration button back to itself, but with the "Pedal" checkbox unticked. Then of course re-save the bank.

By the way, if you want to memorize current pedal settings in existing registration/registration banks, I recommend using the FREEZE function mentioned above (so that you don't have to set the desired pedal settings again every time).

If you want to change or remove the pedal settings for a large number of existing registrations, you could also use the PC (Windows) program "Yamaha Registration Manager" from Murray Best. This makes it possible to change all registrations in a folder in Batch mode, i.e. “in one go”:
>>> https://psrtutorial.com/util/best.html

Hope this helps,

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, Dupe

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2024, 02:51:27 PM »
Once again, thank you so much, charlie

Thanks for your kind feedback, Charlie!

Best regards,
Chris