Author Topic: Connecting to PC with a USB cable, no access to user drive  (Read 921 times)

Offline Retro Rick

Connecting to PC with a USB cable, no access to user drive
« on: January 22, 2024, 02:53:28 PM »
I saw a conversation on line, a guy was saying that connecting a Genos to a PC or a mac, would allow you to access the user drive. To see it as an external drive, allowing you to move files around. But when I attempted it, I can hear the usb connection sound, but there is no drive showing up. Anybody know anything?

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Connecting to PC with a USB cable, no access to user drive
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2024, 02:57:04 PM »
I saw a conversation on line, a guy was saying that connecting a Genos to a PC or a mac, would allow you to access the user drive. To see it as an external drive, allowing you to move files around. But when I attempted it, I can hear the usb connection sound, but there is no drive showing up. Anybody know anything?

You need to turn off the keyboard, then turn it on while holding down the Playlist button.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline ckobu

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 02:59:15 PM »
USB storage mode is not possible on SX models, only on Genos.
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: bhergar56, Retro Rick

Offline Retro Rick

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2024, 05:31:46 PM »
You need to turn off the keyboard, then turn it on while holding down the Playlist button.

Cheers,
Fred

Hi Fred,
It was your original discussion I was referring too, unfortunately it doesn't seem to work for SX only for Genos.
I chose the SX900 over a used Genos, mainly for the onboard speakers which I love. Too bad Yamaha cut this feature.
Thanks for all the stuff you do, it's greatly appreciated!

Offline maarkr

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2024, 06:45:10 PM »
thank you... I was wondering why I could never get the sx900 to show on my computer, I just thought I was numb. 
aka Gene Maarkr. PSR-SX900, FA-06, PX-5S, Yamaha drums, Epi Les Paul, Yamaha bass, Studio One DAW w Waves, NI, IKM, iZotope.

Offline ckobu

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2024, 06:56:56 PM »
Yes, It's a shame that not all keyboards can be connected like the Genos. You can use a USB stick or the MusicSoft Downloader program to transfer data.

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/support/updates/msd_win_kbd.html
Watch my video channel

Offline Retro Rick

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2024, 11:21:52 PM »
thank you... I was wondering why I could never get the sx900 to show on my computer, I just thought I was numb.
You're not numb, I tried 2 different cables, 2 different PCs.
It's definitely not working. Maybe they could add it with a firmware update.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2024, 11:56:19 PM »
The user section on the SX900 is quite small compared to the Genos so USB sticks are used for storage of Audio recordings and other large files so there really is no point in linking to computer to move files as there will not be that many.