Author Topic: New styles on USB - how do I get them to play?  (Read 1775 times)

Offline TerenceW82

New styles on USB - how do I get them to play?
« on: January 22, 2024, 01:47:15 PM »
Hi All,

I'm new here and to the sx900 - I've downloaded the styles that 'Rikki' has kindly made available and put them on a USB stick. I've tried accessing them through the Register and also from the user area but, although I can see them all, they won't load, generating a message to the effect that data has not loaded properly. They have an underscore in front of each name, unlike those I bought from somewhere else.

Now, I'm certain I'm doing something wrong, had a search through the user manual, but still completely flummoxed.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Terence

Offline Retro Rick

Re: New styles on USB - how do I get them to play?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2024, 02:44:22 PM »
I'm new at this too, what I found is styles can be saved as styles, or registrations, or playlists. It's confusing, but if you don't see them in the playlist, then you go to the user button next to styles. also sometimes you need to start an empty playlist and press append. Basically try different ways. See the youtube video by a&c hamilton
"Yamaha PSR-SX900/SX700 Playlist Demo Tutorial + S975 Music Finder"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sogxbIJw8A
Go to the halfway point.

Offline maarkr

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 02:53:04 PM »
Expand the zip file on your computer to separate folders.  Copy the folders you want, ie, RikkiPopRock to the root directory of the USB drive.  When you select styles on your main screen, select ' User' to get your user styles, then select USB1... your folders shdoud be in there so you select the folder you want and the Styles will show.  These downloads only have styles, not registrations... u will need to build your own.
aka Gene Maarkr. PSR-SX900, FA-06, PX-5S, Yamaha drums, Epi Les Paul, Yamaha bass, Studio One DAW w Waves, NI, IKM, iZotope.

Offline TerenceW82

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2024, 03:08:25 PM »
Expand the zip file on your computer to separate folders.  Copy the folders you want, ie, RikkiPopRock to the root directory of the USB drive.  When you select styles on your main screen, select ' User' to get your user styles, then select USB1... your folders shdoud be in there so you select the folder you want and the Styles will show.  These downloads only have styles, not registrations... u will need to build your own.

Thank you - that’s exactly what I did. I can see the folders but when I open them, nothing works :(

Online Bill

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2024, 03:58:15 PM »
They have an underscore in front of each name, unlike those I bought from somewhere

Terence

Hi Terence

The dot / underscore is the Apple MAC indexing filees.  Skip past the first pages and you should see the names withou the underscore.  When you go back to the computer you can delete all the ones with underscore. If you have a MAC yourself try a program called Blue Harvest. It will automatically delete them all for you.

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2024, 04:42:23 PM »
Thank you - that’s exactly what I did. I can see the folders but when I open them, nothing works :(

You need to explain what “open them” and “nothing works” mean.

Remember, we’re talking style files, not registrations.

After you open a folder, do you see style files? If not, are you accessing them through the style box (not the registration box) on the main screen?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline TerenceW82

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2024, 04:45:14 PM »
Hi Terence

The dot / underscore is the Apple MAC indexing filees.  Skip past the first pages and you should see the names withou the underscore.  When you go back to the computer you can delete all the ones with underscore. If you have a MAC yourself try a program called Blue Harvest. It will automatically delete them all for you.

Bill

Hi Bill - thank you. I did have a look (and I do use Macs) but they all have a dot and underscore... Thanks for the tip about the Mac programme!

Offline TerenceW82

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2024, 04:51:56 PM »
You need to explain what “open them” and “nothing works” mean.

Remember, we’re talking style files, not registrations.

After you open a folder, do you see style files? If not, are you accessing them through the style box (not the registration box) on the main screen?

Cheers,
Fred

Well, I can see the file folders but when. I open them, each file has a dot and underscore in front of it and the I touch it,  the message 'Data has not been loaded properly' appears. There are no other files. I'm looking at the in the 'User section' - is that correct? I'm totally new to the device (totally new to arranger keyboards!) so might be getting something completely wrong.

Terence

Offline johan

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2024, 05:29:13 PM »
I think you are not in the style selection area. Be sure to first press a style button (for instance press the "pop&rock" button). Then click on User and then on USB.
SX700 and S670
Former keyboard: E433, E463

Offline TerenceW82

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2024, 05:45:49 PM »
I think you are not in the style selection area. Be sure to first press a style button (for instance press the "pop&rock" button). Then click on User and then on USB.

I tried that, still to no avail... still got the same results. I tried on a different USB stick just to be certain. I'm beginning to wonder if there's a fault on the keyboard itself :(

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2024, 05:54:50 PM »
Your problem is the Mac extra files that show on your keyboard but not on the computer.  When in your keyboard, delete all the suspicious ones with the dot or underscore, work your way through page by page and you will be left with the actual files you want and they will work.  If you should still have a problem search the error message you get - on this forum - and you will find a couple of other posts.
(added) forgot to mention that if you still have issues on the Mac, use the free programme in the App Store called "The Unarchiver".  Means you download an actual zip file rather than having the Mac unzip automatically, then right click and use The Unarchiver to extract the files.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 06:09:22 PM by cyber swine »
Genos 1     PA5X    Kawai MP7 88

Offline pedro_pedroc

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2024, 05:56:26 PM »

Offline maarkr

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2024, 06:39:22 PM »
here is a google drive link on my computer to the RikkiPopRock folder.  This folder works on my sx900, so if it works on yours, you have issues with trying to use a Mac.  (and could be the issue is copying from your mac to the USB drive...idk how that affects files)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15HlVdIdHbf0ydTWwNQ274rv5diXsHQAz?usp=sharing

idk if admin will allow this... feel free to remove it if I'm breaking any rules... I will remove the link eventually.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 06:53:57 PM by maarkr »
aka Gene Maarkr. PSR-SX900, FA-06, PX-5S, Yamaha drums, Epi Les Paul, Yamaha bass, Studio One DAW w Waves, NI, IKM, iZotope.

Offline TerenceW82

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2024, 06:53:07 PM »
Hello,

I have this recent tutorial:

https://youtu.be/g1K0e-nmeng?si=pw9BGfjK39hKfMj6

Thank you Pedro - it copied everything but I still get the same error message...

Terence

Offline TerenceW82

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2024, 06:56:02 PM »
Your problem is the Mac extra files that show on your keyboard but not on the computer.  When in your keyboard, delete all the suspicious ones with the dot or underscore, work your way through page by page and you will be left with the actual files you want and they will work.  If you should still have a problem search the error message you get - on this forum - and you will find a couple of other posts.
(added) forgot to mention that if you still have issues on the Mac, use the free programme in the App Store called "The Unarchiver".  Means you download an actual zip file rather than having the Mac unzip automatically, then right click and use The Unarchiver to extract the files.

Thank you - the problem is that there are none without that Mac 'thing' and when I used a Windows laptop to copy the problem was still evident. Look as if I might have a fault on the SX900 :(

Terence

Offline TerenceW82

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2024, 06:59:55 PM »
here is a google drive link on my computer to the RikkiPopRock folder.  This folder works on my sx900, so if it works on yours, you have issues with trying to use a Mac.  (and could be the issue is copying from your mac to the USB drive...idk how that affects files)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15HlVdIdHbf0ydTWwNQ274rv5diXsHQAz?usp=sharing

idk if admin will allow this... feel free to remove it if I'm breaking any rules... I will remove the link eventually.

Thank you Gene - I'll give that a shot. I've tried using both the Mac and Windows, so far with the same result. Horrible feeling it's a fault in the SX900 :(

Offline TerenceW82

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2024, 07:24:58 PM »
THANK YOU EVERYBODY!

It appears the problem originates in the downloading and processing on the Mac - fortunately, I do also have a Windows machine and when I use that exclusively for download, unzip etc. all works well.

Thank you for all your advice and help, I am mega-impressed with the helpfulness of members on this forum!

Terence

Offline overover

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2024, 08:18:50 PM »
THANK YOU EVERYBODY!

It appears the problem originates in the downloading and processing on the Mac - fortunately, I do also have a Windows machine and when I use that exclusively for download, unzip etc. all works well.

Thank you for all your advice and help, I am mega-impressed with the helpfulness of members on this forum!

Terence

Thanks for your feedback and the kind words about the forum, Terence! :)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)