Author Topic: Next Yamaha Arranger Keyboards  (Read 6842 times)

Offline Denn

Next Yamaha Arranger Keyboards
« on: January 22, 2024, 01:58:49 AM »
Yamaha keyboards, next list.
Genos3 will have an 88 note keyboard and maybe some modified voices and styles. No point in putting in more styles, less is best.
SX910 will be based on the present Genos the main thing will be the inbuilt speakers but still with a 61 note keyboard.
SX950 will be based on the present Genos the main thing will be the inbuilt speakers but with a 76 note keyboard.
Anything more in the production line (creating new styles and voices etc) will be getting away from the home keyboard arranger.
Just my opinion.
Denn.

Love knitting dolls

Offline mikf

Re: Next Yamaha Arranger Keyboards
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2024, 11:36:54 AM »
They can’t meet the demand for Genos 2, Genos 3 is so far away you would need the Hubble telescope to see it.
Mike

Offline DaPaleRider

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 11:41:55 AM »
For me it is important when Yamaha support the current arrangers for longer with updates and new functionality.
I think next year they will release new arrangers.
Yamaha CK61, Yamaha MODX7, Korg Pa5X, Yamaha YH-WL500, Roland Fantom 07, Roland Boutique D-05/TR-08, Logic Pro

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2024, 12:04:24 PM »
The SX series has to stay at 61 keys to be portable for gigs and the built in speakers are fine as they are my monitors. I already have purchased my separate PA system, I don't need Yamaha to provide that for me.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 12:06:33 PM by DrakeM »

Offline hans1966

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2024, 02:01:32 PM »
Personally I think that the new SX series will be released in mid-2025

Surely it will come with G2 features, and others typical of the update

greetings

Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

The following users thanked this post: TheBitfiddler

Offline Denn

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2024, 05:51:48 AM »
Hello Drake, My sentiments exactly. My SX700 does very well. Denn.
Love knitting dolls

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2024, 03:44:15 PM »
I'm curious in regard of current SX900/700 owners... What would be your reason that would move you to buy the successor? In sense: "if it won't have this, then I'm not switching" or "if it will have this, then I'm switching" -by keeping wishes reasonable  :)

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline Keystar

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2024, 07:32:17 PM »
The one upgrade from the SX700/900 that I’d really like to see is XLR mic input with phantom power. That would eliminate the need to bring a mixer when gigging as a solo singer/keyboardist. Harmony would be nice but not essential.

I brought the Genos 1 but had to return it because of a defect in the key bed. Now that my curiosity of owning a Genos has subsided, I’ve decided to hold off for a while to see when and what the next sx900 or pa1000 upgrades will be.

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2024, 09:45:16 PM »
My keyboard is over 10 years old now. I will buy what ever the next PSR/SX model has on it.

At this point, I'm an easy sale.  ;D

Offline AllanM

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2024, 06:15:16 AM »

I'd love to see an enhanced chord looper, with full editing abilities, quantizing, etc.
PSR SX900, Korg Kross2 88

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2024, 01:27:12 PM »
I'm curious in regard of current SX900/700 owners... What would be your reason that would move you to buy the successor? In sense: "if it won't have this, then I'm not switching" or "if it will have this, then I'm switching" -by keeping wishes reasonable  :)

Bogdan

Hi Bogdan

I think Yamaha will learn from the recent late introduction of the G2 that buyers want more information PRIOR to making purchasing decisions based on fact. What were they selling  Nobody knew? Why the secrecy? Accepted, they wanted to make "a big announcement" (more like a damp squib) but when it arrived it was just another plastic keyboard..... For an exorbitant price!
There was too much hype, and FAR too much delay.

Personally I would NEVER buy an expensive keyboard like the G2 on impulse. And keeping the details of it so secret, for so long, was, in my view,  counter productive.

Sure, they will sell, but I want to know, long before I hit the store, exactly what I'm getting for my money. I want to study the spec, read everything I can about it, and most importantly, go and play one.  YouTube is all very well but anyone can make a turd shine!

As a result I am certain that's why many of us migrated to the Pa5X. We got fed up waiting.

I've got 2xSX700's. Will I replace them. No.
The reason is simple. They do what I bought them for. I made a good decision. They are the perfect arranger keyboard. As is my Pa5X.

Keith
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 12:52:05 PM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2024, 02:17:51 PM »
hello Keith,
I think that Yamaha achieved the only goal that they had in mind: to crank up Genos sales (at least for certain period of time) -and so there's nothing for Yamaha to learn.
It's probably because I need to be careful with my expenses, but I really can't understand those who make purchase at the day of introduction -because not only initial price is usually blown up, but also because we don't know the whole truth at that time. Well, we all make our decisions and we must live with them.

I agree with you about SX700: it has the best price/performance ratio. But that might depend on where we live... I've heard that in USA, price difference between SX700 and SX900 isn't that big as here in Europe and so SX900 is probably better choice there.

Will I buy SX700 successor? Depends.. but I will for sure be very picky at my decision. For example, I want a proof that it has better keybed (current keybed quality is embarrassing). But my wish is, to step a bit higher and here I can only see Pa5X 61key right now -but only if Korg fixes existing OS issues till I save enough money. Luckily, I'm patient  :)

Bogdan

Offline mikf

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2024, 02:31:44 PM »
I don’t think it matters which new model you are talking about, buyers upgrading to it from the previous ‘same’ model are a minority. So the answer to your question is fairly moot. Basically there are seldom enough reasons for anyone to jump to the successive model.
Most sales come from from people with no arranger at all, people with much older arrangers, people with much lesser models looking to upgrade, or people with other brands looking to change.
And I agree with you that there is no evidence for Divemasters point that Yamaha somehow screwed up the launch of Genos 2 and sales suffered. I think they are probably getting the sales they expected.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: Keyboard Master, Divemaster

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2024, 03:30:33 PM »
hi Mike,
..Basically there are seldom enough reasons for anyone to jump to the successive model.
-I agree with you.
What moved me to that question was because of the fact, that some have jumped from Genos1 to Genos2 and so I was curious in what case SX owners would do the same.
I did switch from PSR-S775 to it's successor, SX700. Main reason was touch display and three RH voices -and I don't regret my decision a bit.

Greetings,
Bogdan
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 03:40:24 PM by BogdanH »

The following users thanked this post: Keyboard Master

Offline mikf

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2024, 04:59:10 PM »
TOTL replacements are a bit different, in that there is nowhere else to go, the latest will pretty much always be the best that is available, even if that ‘best’ is not that much of an improvement. And there are a number of enthusiasts who always want to be at the sharp end, lined up to buy, almost regardless.
 If they can afford it, why not.
But if you look back at some of my posts during the build up and all the speculation, I did say that I expected many to be a bit disappointed with what eventually emerged. Not because I knew anything, or had any inside knowledge - but because successive models have always had more modest improvements than people seem to expect, and those expectations had also grown exponentially due to the bigger time gap in releases. So it was inevitable that many would express disappointment.
Mike

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2024, 12:58:03 AM »
In possession of the SX900 at the moment.  I generally move up to the next upgrade if---

1.  To my ear and liking there is a noticeable improvement in voices, styles, and overall sound
2.  Price is manageable
3.  Able to sell what I have (I’ve had good luck with that)
4.  And, simply, the enjoyment of a new toy for making backing tracks and live play
5.  No more reasons needed

Offline luiscarlos2000

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2024, 09:51:31 AM »
Don't know about the PSR-A series (someone here created a topic about that future keyboard), but I believe it will release at the same time as, or 1 or 2 years after the future PSR-SX workstation?
An owner of a PSR-A3000. I wanted to purchase the A5000 but I think that I'm closer 2 or 3 or so years before the new keyboard comes.
Past Yamaha keyboards that I now don't use: PSR-S710, PSR-A2000
Current Yamaha keyboard I use: PSR-A3000
Next, or future, Yamaha keyboard I will use: PSR-A5000

Offline metcam

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2024, 03:17:41 PM »
I am owner of PSR A-5000 (close to similar like SX-900).

As a soon new A? model will be released I will buy one.

Upgrade to newest model will be reason.

Best regards.
Curent Instruments:  PSR A-5000
Previus instruments:SX-900,GENOS,PSR-A3000,PSR9000,Tyros2,Tyros3,TYROS5,psr2000,psr2100,psr1500,psr530,psr OR700,DX7,DX11,V50,DX21.
KORG:pa800,KORG PA-900,Triton Extreme,Triton rack,.KORG X3,Roland G600.Roland

Offline luiscarlos2000

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2024, 10:56:59 PM »
I'm still thinking of buying the A5000 this year. If a new model comes on 1 or 2 or so years, will buy one, as I'm sticking on having just 2 keyboards that I can use for playing outside or live, and 2 just for practising to prevent any confusion. E.G. if a say PSR-A6000 comes 2 years after I've purchased the A5000, will use my A6000 just for practice while the previous is more outside and such.
Past Yamaha keyboards that I now don't use: PSR-S710, PSR-A2000
Current Yamaha keyboard I use: PSR-A3000
Next, or future, Yamaha keyboard I will use: PSR-A5000

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2024, 01:19:12 AM »
I mean, the A5000 released in mid 2021 (the sx700 & sx900 were both late 2019) so I'd expect at least a year after the sx750/sx950 (or whatever they number them). And since they followed 2 years after the G1, I'd assume at least a year and a half after G2, if not 2 years (late 2024 to 3rd quarter 2025). So the soonest I'd expect A6000 is 2026, if you wanna keep waiting?

Mark

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2024, 06:31:50 PM »
I'm curious in regard of current SX900/700 owners... What would be your reason that would move you to buy the successor? In sense: "if it won't have this, then I'm not switching" or "if it will have this, then I'm switching" -by keeping wishes reasonable

Bogdan,
My answer to this is below in order of priority:

1. Replace the Concert Grand with the G2’s CFX Grand and I will upgrade immediately. The CFX piano is all I need, but will take the C7 one also. I’m not sure why Yamaha hasn’t included a CFX piano in the flagship PSR. Either they want to steer some to the Genos or it simply costs more to have extra memory to handle the better samples. I would be willing to pay a few hundred dollars more for this. A new G2 quality strings patch would be great too.

2. Increase the expansion to 3GB

3. Maybe some upgrades to make the sound output even better, perhaps add the revelation reverb or an upgraded DAC

Rich
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 07:36:26 PM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

The following users thanked this post: BogdanH

Online Enildo

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2024, 11:49:23 PM »

Bogdan

The 13 things I wanted on the next PSR yamaha keyboard:

01. Recording style tracks with the sustain pedal
02. Saving custom Drum Setup Kits
03. CASM section in Style Creator
04. Lyrics / Text in .PDF or .Doc format with colorful letters
05. Half Bar Fill physical button without the need to use Assignable buttons, freeing them for other uses.
06. The return of the physical Fade in / out button
07. The return of the video output (preferably HDMI) without the need for adapters
08. 04 buttons (knobs) Live Control
09. In the "Speaker" function, in addition to the "Headphone Switch, On and Off selections," the "Internal speakers only" function. In this case, they would cut all the keyboard outputs
10. The possibility of recording S.Art voices on MultiPads
11. Editable Arpeggio function
12. Vocal Harmony On / Off indicator light on the panel
13. Two microphone inputs with independent Mic Setting / Vocal Harmony controls

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,57314.0.html

Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2024, 10:20:26 AM »
hi Enildo,
Thank you for pointing me on post that you've made a while ago -I have read the whole thread carefully again  :)

So, you would upgrade to SX900/700 successor only if it would fulfill all these 13 conditions? I ask because I think, that you're mainly pointing out the things that you wish next keyboard would have.
Usually most of the wishes we have are not implemented in successor and still we buy it... or we don't.

For example: as far I can remember, not many wished for Genos1 successor to have better/more voices (consensus was that they're already pretty good), not many asked for LED's around the knobs, etc. Still, many decided to buy Genos2, even none of the wishes that were expressed (except audio interface), was fulfilled.
Of course it's to be expected, that successor will have some features that we didn't think about before -many times these give additional "push" to click on "buy" button.

Ok, let me answer my own question:
I will consider to buy SX900/700 successor only if it will have the same/similar keybed as Genos -otherwise I will definitely not buy it.
Things like a bit more expansion memory and some gimmicks are to be expected anyway. And so my final decision will depend on what else will be implemented that I find useful for me (especially in style creation area). Ok, I wish 50% of voices to be replaced with new/better ones, but here I'm probably asking for too much  ;D

Greetings,
Bogdan

Offline KurtAgain

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2024, 03:59:45 PM »
I will consider to buy SX900/700 successor only if it will have the same/similar keybed as Genos -otherwise I will definitely not buy it.

Welcome to the club! :)
And because that will never happen (SX will have the same/similar keybed as Genos), our next keyboards will probably be called Genos. And that's exactly what Yamaha wants.

Offline overover

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2024, 04:49:41 PM »
My answer to this is below in order of priority:

1. Replace the Concert Grand with the G2’s CFX Grand and I will upgrade immediately. The CFX piano is all I need, but will take the C7 one also. I’m not sure why Yamaha hasn’t included a CFX piano in the flagship PSR. Either they want to steer some to the Genos or it simply costs more to have extra memory to handle the better samples. I would be willing to pay a few hundred dollars more for this. A new G2 quality strings patch would be great too.

2. Increase the expansion to 3GB

Rich

In order to integrate additional memory-intensive voices such as high-quality pianos and/or increasing the Expansion wave memory, the internal wave memory would probably have to be significantly expanded in an SX900 successor. A second Tone Generator chip (SWP70) may even need to be added (as with G1 and G2) because as far as I know, a single SWP70 Tone Generator chip can only manage a maximum of 4 GB of NAND Flash memory.

Here is a comparison of the internal wave memory (NAND Flash) used for the sample data of Preset Voices and Expansion Voices:

SX700:    SWP70 * 1, total 1 GB NAND Flash
SX900:    SWP70 * 1, total 2 GB NAND Flash
Genos1:   SWP70 * 2, total 6 GB NAND Flash
Genos2:   SWP70 * 2, total 8 GB NAND Flash

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 04:58:41 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: pjd

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2024, 04:55:36 PM »
hi Kurt,
...our next keyboards will probably be called Genos. And that's exactly what Yamaha wants.
... you might be right.
But in my case that won't happen because in my eyes Genos2 isn't worth 3-times the price of SX700, or the double price of SX900.
What I'm saying is, to call it a progress or upgrade worthy, existing keyboard segment (mid-range in this case) should be noticeable improved -a bit more expansion memory and few new voices & styles won't make my eyes sparkling.

Just sharing my thoughts,
Bogdan

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2024, 05:09:12 PM »
In order to integrate additional memory-intensive voices such as high-quality pianos and/or increasing the Expansion wave memory, the internal wave memory would probably have to be significantly expanded in an SX900 successor. A second Tone Generator chip (SWP70) may even need to be added….

Chris,
Good info. I didn’t know the Genos’ have a second chip. As I said above I would be willing to pay for that, maybe up to $3,200 USD for at least a high quality piano or two and still be half the price of a Genos2. That would move the SX900 successor a little more towards the Genos and further away from the 700, but it’s all just wishful thinking at this point. The 900 is such a Classic instrument, but they should continue to improve it.

Rich
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 05:28:21 PM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2024, 05:45:35 PM »
to call it a progress or upgrade worthy, existing keyboard segment (mid-range in this case) should be noticeable improved -a bit more expansion memory and few new voices & styles won't make my eyes sparkling.

Keep in mind that 2 more GB of expansion allows for so many more pack installations if one values that. I think Mark estimated the number difference in another post.

I agree a few more extra voices and styles isn’t much, however I am specifically wanting just a high quality piano or two which just might make my eyes sparkle **

Your wish for a better keybed makes sense. The SX keybed is not great and feels more toy-like than professional. I know this by comparing it side by side with my MODX7 keybed at home. The MODX bed, which gets its own heavy criticism, is a lot better than SX, especially for piano solos. But I don’t see Yamaha ever changing the keybed on SX arrangers at this price.

Rich
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 05:49:40 PM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

Offline pjd

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2024, 06:12:06 PM »
I agree a few more extra voices and styles isn’t much, however I am specifically wanting just a high quality piano or two which just might make my eyes sparkle **

Your wish for a better keybed makes sense.

Hi Rich --

Yamaha's typical development strategy is to trickle down sound sets: e.g., Genos -> SX900 -> SX700

If Yamaha is feeling generous, they might give the SX900 the Genos1 CFX and C7. Maybe. The higher-quality Genos2 CFX is a big differentiator for that product.

As to keybed, playing AP or EP on the synth-like arranger keyboards is a loser. I have a CSP-170 and the piano experience is vastly elevated over Genos1, MODX, etc. The CSP-170 EPs are no better in sound than the SX700, but the NWX keyboard makes it a dream to play Rhodes. [Mike usually chimes in here.  :) ]

I've given up waiting and waiting for Yamaha to trickle out technology. I'd rather be busy designing styles and sounds, and playing.  :D

Best to all -- pj

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2024, 06:16:30 PM »
hi Rich,
You're probably right about "better keybed won't happen at this price".. not because it's impossible, but because that's how Yamaha decided to differentiate keyboards.
Again, I'm not expecting aftertouch or other features. The feel of SX900/700 keybed is good enough as it is (at given price), however I do expect better long term quality: keys rattling after less than a year of use, is simply not acceptable -regardless the price.

Bogdan

Offline overover

« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2024, 06:29:29 PM »
Chris,
Good info. I didn’t know the Genos’ have a second chip. As I said above I would be willing to pay for that, maybe up to $3,200 USD for at least a high quality piano or two and still be half the price of a Genos2. That would move the SX900 successor a little more towards the Genos and further away from the 700, but it’s all just wishful thinking at this point. The 900 is such a Classic instrument, but they should continue to improve it.

Rich

Hi Rich,

To be honest, I can't imagine that the SX900 successor will have two Tone Generator chips (like the Genos models). However, I see it as realistic to expand the internal NAND Flash memory from the current total of 2 GB (512 MB * 4) to 4 GB (1 GB * 4). With these additional 2 GB, the Preset wave memory and the Expansion memory could each be increased by 1 GB.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Online Enildo

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2024, 09:14:21 PM »
hi Enildo,
Thank you for pointing me on post that you've made a while ago -I have read the whole thread carefully again  :)

So, you would upgrade to SX900/700 successor only if it would fulfill all these 13 conditions? I ask because I think, that you're mainly pointing out the things that you wish next keyboard would have.
Usually most of the wishes we have are not implemented in successor and still we buy it... or we don't.

For example: as far I can remember, not many wished for Genos1 successor to have better/more voices (consensus was that they're already pretty good), not many asked for LED's around the knobs, etc. Still, many decided to buy Genos2, even none of the wishes that were expressed (except audio interface), was fulfilled.
Of course it's to be expected, that successor will have some features that we didn't think about before -many times these give additional "push" to click on "buy" button.

Ok, let me answer my own question:
Things like a bit more expansion memory and some gimmicks are to be expected anyway. And so my final decision will depend on what else will be implemented that I find useful for me (especially in style creation area). Ok, I wish 50% of voices to be replaced with new/better ones, but here I'm probably asking for too much  ;D

Greetings,
Bogdan

Hello Bogdan!

There are 13 wishes that I would like to see implemented, but if they are not met in their entirety, or just one or the other, I will still switch to the next model, because I intend to renew for the following models. I don't intend to spend more than 5 years on the same device and I know that current models always bring something new. So, to summarize your question, regardless of whether the next model comes with the 13 wishes, I will exchange it.

Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

The following users thanked this post: hans1966, BogdanH

Offline hans1966

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2024, 02:13:44 AM »
It would even be nice to have some SA2 woodwind voices inherited from the Genos in the next PSR-SXXX

But they are only my wishes

Meanwhile I enjoy what I have

greetings

Hans

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2024, 11:11:57 PM »
It would even be nice to have some SA2 woodwind voices inherited from the Genos in the next PSR-SXXX

But they are only my wishes

Meanwhile I enjoy what I have

greetings

Hans
Definitely agree. I hope the sx700-900 successors get SA2 voices. Not sure about the sx600 successor but it be nice too.

Offline hans1966

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2024, 07:30:08 PM »
Hello Guys, another wish that I would like to see in the next SXXX model is (although I think it has already been said in another thread)

a power cable CA instead of an adapter.

I say this because recently there was a problem with my singer friend's SX600 keyboard and the jack that connects to the adapter came off.

I send images below

Hans

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2024, 08:31:26 PM »
That doesn't just come off. I've seen enough to know that's almost always caused by someone walking behind and tripping on the cable with enough force to send the keyboard flying (but instead, the pin snaps).

A lot of folks think "oh, it's just a little pin, I can just shove it back in", but it's usually hard soldered to the motherboard (this if for any brand, not just Yamaha).

And the reason they use these external power supplies, is it's *much* more convenient for people who travel. You don't realize how painful it is to bring your 120v equipment to a 220 or 240v venue, and instantly blow a fuse when you plug it in... or worse, melt the motherboard. Or even funnier (?), go to Japan, and their 100v output is enough to turn the keyboard on but not make any sound!

But it takes a *lot* of force to snap out that centre pin. In 47 years of playing keyboards, I've never done that; and all dozen cases of seen of that happening where kids running around and tripping on the power cable, or an unobservant adult who was in a rush.

As for S.Art 2, that's one of the defining things they did to separate the TOTLA from the mid range (after the disaster for them of making the T1 and PSR3000 the *same* sound library, with the only difference being 3 layers vs 2. So I don't forsee that changing anytime soon; but maybe if they merge the midlevel with the TOTLA? And as pjd said, the new pianos are a huge selling point on G2, they won't even give those to G1, nevermind PSR series.

And I agree with Chris overover; they will absolutely include a larger sw70 chip with the sx900 successor. But will it be 4Gb or will they do 2Gb +1Gb? I think that depends on the sx700 successor (which will most likely use the sx900 library; as the sx700 uses the s970 library, the s770 used an upgraded version of the s950 sound library, and the s750 used the same library as the s910, s710 used the s910 library etc, ad nauseum)

Mark

Offline hans1966

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2024, 04:39:33 AM »
That doesn't just come off. I've seen enough to know that's almost always caused by someone walking behind and tripping on the cable with enough force to send the keyboard flying (but instead, the pin snaps).

A lot of folks think "oh, it's just a little pin, I can just shove it back in", but it's usually hard soldered to the motherboard (this if for any brand, not just Yamaha).

And the reason they use these external power supplies, is it's *much* more convenient for people who travel. You don't realize how painful it is to bring your 120v equipment to a 220 or 240v venue, and instantly blow a fuse when you plug it in... or worse, melt the motherboard. Or even funnier (?), go to Japan, and their 100v output is enough to turn the keyboard on but not make any sound!

But it takes a *lot* of force to snap out that centre pin. In 47 years of playing keyboards, I've never done that; and all dozen cases of seen of that happening where kids running around and tripping on the power cable, or an unobservant adult who was in a rush.

As for S.Art 2, that's one of the defining things they did to separate the TOTLA from the mid range (after the disaster for them of making the T1 and PSR3000 the *same* sound library, with the only difference being 3 layers vs 2. So I don't forsee that changing anytime soon; but maybe if they merge the midlevel with the TOTLA? And as pjd said, the new pianos are a huge selling point on G2, they won't even give those to G1, nevermind PSR series.

And I agree with Chris overover; they will absolutely include a larger sw70 chip with the sx900 successor. But will it be 4Gb or will they do 2Gb +1Gb? I think that depends on the sx700 successor (which will most likely use the sx900 library; as the sx700 uses the s970 library, the s770 used an upgraded version of the s950 sound library, and the s750 used the same library as the s910, s710 used the s910 library etc, ad nauseum)

Mark

Hi Mark, I appreciate your response, but I disagree.

Regarding your answer about the adapter, I have to tell you that this happened in a church, just when the mass ended, I was there and I watched when my companion cautiously removed the adapter from the keyboard, and we realized that the internal jack of the sx600 had stayed in the adapter.

By the way, this seems quite unusual to me for a keyboard that has only been working for 8 months.
So I took it to Yamaha technical service.

As for what other companies use it, I know what they are.

but there are also others that have arranger keyboards that work with a power cable and are safer when playing live.

greetings

Hans

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2024, 10:56:54 AM »
I think that "broken pin" in DC socket is something that can just happen (yes I know, it shouldn't) and is not necessary always owners fault. To ensure good "+" contact of center pin, the whole connector is pushed with certain force on center pin from side by "-" spring contact. And if center pin is not hard pressed perfectly (is not soldered), then it can happen it becomes loose over the time or it snaps.

About why aren't power supplies built inside.. I've read a while ago that the main reason is saving costs. At first sight it looks that delivering separate power supply (cables+housing) is more expensive than simply put a naked transformer and AC/DC converter into keyboard -which probably is. But these power bricks are such a mass product nowadays, that the difference in price is negligible... compared to certification costs.
The thing is, electrical devices need to conform certain safety, environment, etc. standards and that's checked by national institutes/labs in import country -and that costs a lot of money (to get approval). And here it comes: for devices that are connected directly into main electrical socket (considered as life hazard), the certification process is much more expensive. Now, if keyboard is not connected directly into wall socket, then this cost can be avoided and so we can have five different keyboards certified at lower costs and only one power brick that needs expensive certification.

Now you know why Genos is so expensive  ;D 8)

Bogdan

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline hans1966

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2024, 05:03:35 PM »
Thanks Bogdanh for your response and expanding on Mark's response in detail.

Now I have it clearer

The Yamaha technical service in my country determined a possible manufacturing defect, since this does not usually happen, and is in charge of fixing it.

greetings

Hans
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 05:06:00 PM by hans1966 »

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2024, 08:11:06 PM »

Hi Mark, I appreciate your response, but I disagree.

Regarding your answer about the adapter, I have to tell you that this happened in a church, just when the mass ended, I was there and I watched when my companion cautiously removed the adapter from the keyboard, and we realized that the internal jack of the sx600 had stayed in the adapter.

By the way, this seems quite unusual to me for a keyboard that has only been working for 8 months.
So I took it to Yamaha technical service.

As for what other companies use it, I know what they are.

but there are also others that have arranger keyboards that work with a power cable and are safer when playing live.

greetings

Hans
I stand corrected, then... I've never seen it happen in 47 years, but if it happened to you *that* gently? I'd definitely ask for a warranty repair! (The cases I saw were all not under warranty, as it was obvious someone had tripped on the cable; the casing usually had impact damage as well)

And I'm very sorry that happened to you; that is unacceptable!

Mark
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 08:12:12 PM by Amwilburn »

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline hans1966

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2024, 12:40:24 AM »
Hello Mark, thank you very much again for your response.

I agree with you that this is unacceptable, since I had the SX900 for four years, and never had problems with the power adapter, and now I have an SX600 just like my partner, and so far everything is going very well.

I'm going to find out about the warranty from my Yamaha dealer to see what happens.

greetings

Hans

Offline pjd

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2024, 07:13:29 PM »
But there are also others that have arranger keyboards that work with a power cable and are safer when playing live.

Hope you get this sorted, Hans!

The darned power cord is one of my biggest fears when gigging the MODX. (Same adapter design.) The choir always traipse through the instrumentalists instead of going ten feet around the piano. Grrr...

Take care -- pj

Offline hans1966

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2024, 11:48:09 PM »
Today I took the keyboard for warranty repair, the technician already sent the photos of the damage, and requested the replacement from the corresponding department.

The warranty process takes 15 business days, and depends on the response of
 Whether Yamaha approves it or not.

hahaha it's true PJ.
The backup singers are a total disaster, especially when there are a lot of people, they corner you. ;D ;D

greetings

Hans

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2024, 04:38:39 PM »
Hi, Alex here. I'd like to respond to a lot of the discussedion here.
I really hope Genos3 has an 88-key option, but I doubt it since they stuk with having only the 76-key version for Genos 1 and 2. There will definitely be some added and some modified voices and styles. I don't really use the styles all that much, but I'm sure others like having lots of styles.
SX910 will probably be based on the Genos1, with a 61-key keyboard as always.
It's hard to know what the SX950 will be based on, as it would likely be many, many years from now.
The SX series doesn't necessarily have to stay at 61 keys, as shown by the Tyros line. The Tyros 1-4 had 61 keys with no other option, while the T5 added a 76-key version. I am happy with the built in speakers of the SX900.
I also think the new SX series will be released in 2025, similar to the SX900/700.
Surely it will come with at least some of the G2 features, not sure which ones exactly.
To answer Bogdan's question, I feel like my next keyboard needs a built-in USB audio interface, like the Genos2. If the next SX900 doesn't have that, I will not buy it. I hope we get some of the new G2 voices in addition to the G1 voices, but if not, that's fine, I guess.
I think there's nothing Yamaha needs to learn after the G2. Buyers have a lot of information they can read about before making decisions on whether to purchase the G2, even based on fact. They were selling a keyboard with FM capabilities, a built-in USB audio interface, Revelation reverb, and more voices and styles. There was no secrecy. It's ok that it's another plastic keyboard... I don't need more than that.
There was just enough hype for what we got, with Ambient Drums, style dynamics, new styles and FM capabilities. I agree about it taking FAR too long to release, but the new technology is really cool.
You can still learn what you'll get; the specs, videos and data list have been available for a while now.
I think my SX900 is not perfect, as it has many legacy voices in the main categories, like SuitcaseSoft, MIDIGrand, Piano&Orchestra, PedalSteelGuitar (8 36 4), JazzVibes, and many more. In addition, Voice Guide isn't the best (even on G2.)

For the keybed, I'd say the quality is not bad. There are reasons for me to jump to the next SX900, if I don't have enough money for Genos2 by that time: better voices, better accessibility with Voice Guide (hopefully), a built-in USB audio interface, etc.
In terms of the CFX sound, I already have a better CFX than Genos2, Production Voices 300 Grand. While it would be nice to have a built-in CFX sound that's better than the current SX pianos, that isn't really necessary for me anymore.
Since the G2 has 3GB of expansion memory, I doubt that the SX replacements will have that much. Maybe closer to 2GB would be more reasonable.
Alex

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2024, 05:16:42 PM »
hi Alex,
To answer Bogdan's question, I feel like my next keyboard needs a built-in USB audio interface, like the Genos2. If the next SX900 doesn't have that, I will not buy it.
Well, if that's the only condition, then it's time for you to start saving money for SX900 successor  ;D
I believe that audio interface has become a standard nowadays and shouldn't even be considered as a feature -it would be something special, if it would be multi-channel, though. On the other hand, for a serious music production an external multi-channel interface is needed anyway.

Bogdan

Offline pjd

« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2024, 06:31:11 PM »
I really hope Genos3 has an 88-key option, ...

In terms of the CFX sound, I already have a better CFX than Genos2, Production Voices 300 Grand. While it would be nice to have a built-in CFX sound that's better than the current SX pianos, that isn't really necessary for me anymore.

Thanks for sharing your ideas, Alex.

I wonder how Yamaha manage their different product lines. The piano line offers 88-keys and almost arranger features in some models. If a player is willing to forego certain features like multi-pads, they can find an 88 with better CFX (or Bösendorfer! VRM!) at a reasonable price. The downside -- the nice piano-action keybed adds a lot of weight.

So, would Yamaha make an arranger that infringes on the piano models like P-S500? The P-S500 has roughly the same sound set as the sx700 and costs only $1,600 USD.

All the best -- pj

Offline mikf

« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2024, 07:51:54 PM »
I see little point in an 88 key board, unless it has piano quality action, and that adds both weight and cost. So I really doubt we will see Yamaha offer that in the psr range, or even Genos.

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2024, 08:18:01 PM »
Alex,
SX900 is certainly next up for an update. Even though it was launched in 2019 my guess also is the update happens in 2025, because it’s still a very modern instrument with great sounds and an identical user interface to Genos. It’s good that you found a VST solution for the piano. I personally find the whole VST connection thing awkward and kind of ruins the spontaneity of sitting down and just playing.

I think pj and overover’s comments earlier in this thread are the best summaries to date for what Yamaha probably will do. I copied excerpts of their comments below. I personally would consider buying the Genos2 rather than wait for unlikely Genos2 features incorporated in the next SX900.

pj:
Yamaha's typical development strategy is to trickle down sound sets: e.g., Genos -> SX900 -> SX700

If Yamaha is feeling generous, they might give the SX900 the Genos1 CFX and C7. Maybe. The higher-quality Genos2 CFX is a big differentiator for that product.

overover:
In order to integrate additional memory-intensive voices such as high-quality pianos and/or increasing the Expansion wave memory, the internal wave memory would probably have to be significantly expanded in an SX900 successor. A second Tone Generator chip (SWP70) may even need to be added (as with G1 and G2) because as far as I know, a single SWP70 Tone Generator chip can only manage a maximum of 4 GB of NAND Flash memory.

Here is a comparison of the internal wave memory (NAND Flash) used for the sample data of Preset Voices and Expansion Voices:

SX700:    SWP70 * 1, total 1 GB NAND Flash
SX900:    SWP70 * 1, total 2 GB NAND Flash
Genos1:   SWP70 * 2, total 6 GB NAND Flash
Genos2:   SWP70 * 2, total 8 GB NAND Flash

To be honest, I can't imagine that the SX900 successor will have two Tone Generator chips (like the Genos models). However, I see it as realistic to expand the internal NAND Flash memory from the current total of 2 GB (512 MB * 4) to 4 GB (1 GB * 4). With these additional 2 GB, the Preset wave memory and the Expansion memory could each be increased by 1 GB.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 08:27:39 PM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

Offline PSR-USR-IND

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2024, 01:38:30 PM »
YAMAHA should consider to include some S.Art2! Voices in future PSR top model.
Onacimus Sahayam
My Styles

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2024, 06:30:15 PM »
YAMAHA should consider to include some S.Art2! Voices in future PSR top model.
It's been nearly 16 years since the T3 introduced S.Art2 voices, and Yamaha decided not to include any S.Art2 voices into the PSR line to avoid diluting the reasons for owning the TOTLA; Perhaps if a future TOTLA introduces something that's much more important than S.Art 2, then they might consider it then?

Mark