Author Topic: Midi format with 2 different tracks for Yamaha EZ-300  (Read 1084 times)

Offline CHRIS2962

Midi format with 2 different tracks for Yamaha EZ-300
« on: December 27, 2023, 11:36:27 AM »
Hello, I bought a Yamaha EZ-300 synthesizer with illuminated keys, and thanks to it I made great progress in a few weeks (which I had never achieved with my PSR-SX900)
It is possible to insert MIDI songs into the EZ-300, but all the ones I have taken from the internet or Musescore do not allow me to have two tracks (left hand / right hand) in order to deactivate one for work the other.
I also don't have access to the "waiting" mode which waits until I have played the correct note to continue the lesson.
The Yamaha site assured me that the format to use was indeed the MIDI format but that, in order for the files to be functional, it is necessary that they respect a certain number of characteristics:
- When creating the song, the right and left hands must be recorded on two different tracks
- The right hand must be on track 1
- The left hand must be on track 2
So I made a midi export of several tracks with Logic but I still don't have the desired options on the synth. Maybe it's because standard format 0 MIDI files can only record one MIDI region?
Anyone have a solution?
THANKS !

Offline pjd

Re: Midi format with 2 different tracks for Yamaha EZ-300
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2023, 06:31:20 PM »
Hi --

Welcome to the Forum!

I recommend studying the difference between MIDI tracks and MIDI channels. Then the difference in Standard MIDI File (SMF) type 0 and type 1 will make more sense.

"Track" is actually a Standard MIDI File concept/entity. You're right. Type 0 has only one track and Type 1 allows multiple tracks.

If I want to separate the right and left hand parts into two tracks, I would record the right hand into one SMF track and record the left hand into one SMF track. The SMF itself should be saved as Type 1 in order to preserve the track structure.

Now, what could be confusing. Each track typically has a MIDI channel assigned to it. Conventionally, track one gets MIDI channel 1 and track two gets MIDI channel 2. The same piano voice may be selected on channel 1 and channel 2 -- no biggie.

In MIDI SMF Type 0, all MIDI data is in one track. If the left hand part and right hand part are on MIDI channel 1, for example, then the left and right hand parts cannot be separated out. If left hand is recorded on channel one and right hand is recorded on channel two, then at least you have some chance of separating the two parts.

Hope this helps -- pj

Offline Joe H

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2023, 06:36:42 PM »
I think it is possible to convert Type 0 to Type 1 using MixMaster.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

The following users thanked this post: CHRIS2962

Offline CHRIS2962

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2023, 04:37:37 AM »
Great, I'm going to redo a Logic project, paying attention to the midi channels.
And I installed MixMaster v23r1 on Window 11, it looks great (I will translate the manual into French first)
The files originally installed in the EZ-300 are in "BUP" format, do you know what I can open them with to see how it's done?
Thank you so much !

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2023, 07:46:47 AM »
I think it is possible to convert Type 0 to Type 1 using MixMaster.

Joe H

Or "MIDI Formatter" at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/midiformat/index.htm
Jørgen
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2023, 05:35:02 PM »
The files originally installed in the EZ-300 are in "BUP" format, do you know what I can open them with to see how it's done?
Thank you so much !

BUP files are in a Yamaha proprietary (undocumented) format. I recommend reading about EZ-300 files, page 57, EZ-300 Owner's Manual. Back-up (BUP) files are further described on page 59.

You're pretty much on your own as to the internal format of a BUP file. Hex dump? If you're lucky, you can find internal MIDI data by searching for "MTrk" markers.

Sorry, but there aren't many tools supporting entry-level Yamaha arrangers.

All the best -- pj