Author Topic: Midicontroller connection  (Read 548 times)

Offline NAMA

Midicontroller connection
« on: January 08, 2024, 04:42:51 PM »
I am now using an old Korg midicontroller as a second keyboard connected to my Genos in such a way that this extra keyboard always produces the sounds of R3. For setup see the attached photo. This controller is simply connected by a 5-pin midi din cable between midi-in and midi-out.
Unfortunate this controller has some bad keys and I want to replace it. I noticed that the modern controllers, like from M-Aidio, do not have the 5-pin connector anymore but a usb connection instead. I now wonder how I must connect it to my Genos. I already use the usb connection on top for a memorystich and the usb connection at the back for connection to my (mobilesheet)laptop.
Who can help me with this?
Never too old to learn.
Genos,Korg K49 and CVP709PE

Offline BogdanH

Re: Midicontroller connection
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2024, 05:14:27 PM »
hi NAMA,
There exist USB to Midi adapters and interfaces which should solve such issues.
But I'm not really a fan of such (cables, adapters and even more cables) solutions. That is, if I would be into buying midi keyboard (that is meant to be connected to another keyboard), then I would definitely make sure that it also has standard DIN midi connection.

M.Audio Oxygen 49 =149€ (USB only, no DIN midi)
M-Audio Oxygen Pro 49 =195€ (USB and DIN midi)
-in this case I would pay additional 45€ anytime (because we don't buy midi keyboard every day).

Just my opinion,
Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline pjd

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2024, 07:22:48 PM »
Since this is the Internet, here is my contradictory opinion.  :D

I have a DOREmidi USB MIDI host box that provides bridge from USB-A to 5-pin DIN MIDI IN/OUT. I just tested it connected to Genos. The MIDI controllers were Lumi Keys, Akai LPK25 and Korg Microkey AIR 49. All could send note on/off.

I've used this rugged box with a few other MIDI controllers and 5-pin destinations. Seems to be a solid, reliable device.

Hope this info helps -- pj

P.S. I've used a Raspberry Pi as a bridge in a pinch: https://sandsoftwaresound.net/send-midi-from-usb-b-to-5-pin/

Offline NAMA

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2024, 07:45:05 PM »
Thanks for your advices. I will go for a midi keyboard with DIN midi. This seems the easiest solution to me.
Bert
Never too old to learn.
Genos,Korg K49 and CVP709PE