Author Topic: Assign buttons below left hand part of the keyboard (idea)  (Read 1688 times)

Assign buttons below left hand part of the keyboard (idea)
« on: December 26, 2023, 08:21:05 AM »
I’m currently trying to play logical song on Genos2. And I want to play the electric piano with my left hand more lively. It’s difficult to press the style variation button with the left hand. And there is a small sound hiccup with a registration switch (no SSS unfortunately)
I would like the button to be under the keyboard as registrations on my old electone EL-70
« Last Edit: December 26, 2023, 05:04:09 PM by soundphase »

Offline BogdanH

Re: Assign buttons below left hand part of the keyboard (idea)
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2023, 08:58:39 AM »
Yes, when playing with the left hand more actively then it can be hard to press buttons on panel just at the right time. But there's a simple solution: foot pedal(s).
Ergonomically I see no benefit of moving variations/registrations buttons under (in front of) the keybed. The thing is, when we play, our hand are horizontally positioned for pushing buttons downward, which makes targeting particular button easier (than moving hand under keys and pushing button forward).

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: soundphase

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2023, 09:31:53 AM »
Hi soundphase,

What many users do to completely free their hands for playing is use the Registration Sequence feature. This allows you to step through the registrations (one after the other or in a freely programmable order) with just one footswitch. Of course, you have to create several registrations for the song in question beforehand (which can then also be used to call up the Intro, Main variations, Fills, Break and/or Ending).

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: soundphase

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2023, 10:27:43 AM »
Hi soundphase,

What many users do to completely free their hands for playing is use the Registration Sequence feature. This allows you to step through the registrations (one after the other or in a freely programmable order) with just one footswitch. Of course, you have to create several registrations for the song in question beforehand (which can then also be used to call up the Intro, Main variations, Fills, Break and/or Ending).

Best regards,
Chris
Thank you for both answers.

I already have foot pedals and registration sequence (and even MFC10 I don't use). One pedal for registration up, and one pedal for an effect (generally sustain).
But for Logical Song, there are a lot of articulations (growls) and breaks, I would like to add.
It's not easy to find the good pedal with feet when there are a lot of pedals. (and I didn't fix them yet)

I think 3 or 4 assign buttons under the keyboard would be far more easily accessible with the left thumb.

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2023, 10:35:40 AM »
Yes, when playing with the left hand more actively then it can be hard to press buttons on panel just at the right time. But there's a simple solution: foot pedal(s).
Ergonomically I see no benefit of moving variations/registrations buttons under (in front of) the keybed. The thing is, when we play, our hand are horizontally positioned for pushing buttons downward, which makes targeting particular button easier (than moving hand under keys and pushing button forward).

Bogdan

the buttons under the keyboard would not be horizontal, they would be vertical (like the phones input at the left). Look at a Yamaha electone EL-70 picture for example, and you will see.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2023, 12:06:42 PM »
hi Soundphase,
I understand now -thank you for clarifying.
Well, we would still need to move left hand off the keybed and so I don't see much of benefit (if any). I still think that pedal is better solution (Chris described more detailed what I mean).

Just my opinion :)
Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2023, 01:00:00 PM »
hi Soundphase,
I understand now -thank you for clarifying.
Well, we would still need to move left hand off the keybed and so I don't see much of benefit (if any). I still think that pedal is better solution (Chris described more detailed what I mean).

Just my opinion :)
Bogdan
No it’s not necessary to move left hand off the keyboard. You just use your thumb

Offline SciNote

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2024, 06:25:08 AM »
A long time ago -- circa 1989-1990 -- Yamaha made a few keyboards called the X4500, PSR-4500, and PSR-4600.  I think all three were basically the same but with a different color scheme.  But one of their unique features was that, instead of pitch and mod wheels to the left of the keyboard, they accomplished these functions with wide roller bars in front of the keys -- and by in front, I mean closer to the player, so that they could be operated by the palm of the hand while playing.  I suppose they could also be operated by thumb, as well, if desired.  While this might seem like an expressive way to control these functions without having to take your fingers off the keys, it obviously never caught on.

I never had any direct experience with these keyboards, but they seemed like they were pretty "far out" for the time.  I think they even combined AWM and FM synthesis, though I believe they only had 8 note maximum polyphony.  If I ever found one for a good price, I think it would be cool just to play around with it to see what it could do.  There was also a more basic X3500, but I think it still had the roller bars.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 06:26:40 AM by SciNote »
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2024, 08:44:31 AM »
I vaguely remember the PSR-4600. It was, in it's time, quite a good board.

The Roller bars managed modulation, brightness and more.

There are currently 2 for sale on Ebay UK, both in very poor condition, and at completely silly prices.
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner