Genos (12 Boards) > Genos Voices & Revo Drums

Genos organ voices

(1/3) > >>

Pupflyer:
I confess to having owned a plethora of home organs over the past 40 years and happily experienced the boom years of the instrument, however, the organ flutes sported by Genos never fail to put a smlle on my face!
Of course, sounds and voicings are subjective, but apart from brand H, for purely organ sounds, my favourites were Technics GA3, Roland AT900c. The last organ I owned was a Ringway RS1000E, a disappointment especially in the organ flutes department.

Tony09:
I owned a number of organs back in the 80s/90s and the Genos 1 & 2 haven't put a smile on my face either. The difference is probably between a large piece of wooden furniture with large integral speakers versus three relatively small external plastic boxes.

I loved the sound of my Kawai SR5 & 6 and my Yamaha FS70. I just haven't yet been able to re-create what I call a good organ sound, like this Wersi sound:
https://soundcloud.com/user-845192248/1-home-organ-demo-general-preset-1

Tony

andyg:
Glad you liked the sound of the Kawai SR organs. They were my 'babies', and there's a lot of 'me' in them, including the drawbar voicing. At the time, the market didn't want the gritty Hammond sound, so I went for the really lush sound of the Gulbransen organ instead. And I'm responsible for a fair bit of the instrumental voicing as well as the layout of the instruments. Started that back in 1983, but had to wait until 1986 before the technology caught up with what I wanted!

As far as organ sounds go, Genos can produce some great ones, but you'll have to work a little as there's simply so much you can do! As well as the drawbar sounds, don't forget that you have the complete set of Lowrey organ sounds, including some of the non-flute sounds like Trombone, Cello and Kinura. And there are some good basic organ sounds in Legacy.

I like to play mix and match with the sounds. For example I might use 16,8 and 4 Lowrey flutes in R1, and then add in some of the Hammond drawbars from 2' upwards in R2. I'll play around with the Leslie simulations, avoiding 'Real Rotor' and using Dual Rotor Bright instead, and then altering the parameters of the effect until it sounds like my old Leslie 145 or Leslie 760.

Bottom line - experiment! You'll be amazed at what you can come up with.

Ray:
Hello Andy, I found your reply re Genos organ sounds very interesting. Years ago, I had a couple of Lowrey organs, they had a great sound of their own. I now have a CVP 809. Your post mentioned “complete set of Lowrey organ sounds”. I realise one has a multitude of options with the Yamaha keyboards to get a good organ sound, too many really for an only average player as myself. Knowing the Clavinova has a similar “engine” as Tyros/ Genos, I would like a few of your suggestions to obtain a rich Lowrey sound on my keyboard, re flute footages, and whether Theatre , Euro, Home, whatever organ is selected, along with the equaliser balance on the particular tibia in the balance section, (re high or low balance ). Also, as I often use harmony often, not being great on full right hand chords,( although I only use full left hand chording,) a suggestion for a suitable harmony plus option. Many thanks for whatever you may offer. Ray.

Tony09:
Andy, you did an excellent job with your Kawai babies. Really well done.

As you suggested (thank you) I'm working on my G2 trying to get near the same lush sound using Dual Rotor Bright and altering the effect settings and flutes. Like Ray, I'd also appreciate any further help or suggestions.

Tony

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version