Author Topic: Genos organ voices  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Pupflyer

Genos organ voices
« on: December 23, 2023, 07:31:49 PM »
I confess to having owned a plethora of home organs over the past 40 years and happily experienced the boom years of the instrument, however, the organ flutes sported by Genos never fail to put a smlle on my face!
Of course, sounds and voicings are subjective, but apart from brand H, for purely organ sounds, my favourites were Technics GA3, Roland AT900c. The last organ I owned was a Ringway RS1000E, a disappointment especially in the organ flutes department.

Offline Tony09

Re: Genos organ voices
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2023, 09:57:14 AM »
I owned a number of organs back in the 80s/90s and the Genos 1 & 2 haven't put a smile on my face either. The difference is probably between a large piece of wooden furniture with large integral speakers versus three relatively small external plastic boxes.

I loved the sound of my Kawai SR5 & 6 and my Yamaha FS70. I just haven't yet been able to re-create what I call a good organ sound, like this Wersi sound:
https://soundcloud.com/user-845192248/1-home-organ-demo-general-preset-1

Tony

Offline andyg

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2023, 10:42:09 AM »
Glad you liked the sound of the Kawai SR organs. They were my 'babies', and there's a lot of 'me' in them, including the drawbar voicing. At the time, the market didn't want the gritty Hammond sound, so I went for the really lush sound of the Gulbransen organ instead. And I'm responsible for a fair bit of the instrumental voicing as well as the layout of the instruments. Started that back in 1983, but had to wait until 1986 before the technology caught up with what I wanted!

As far as organ sounds go, Genos can produce some great ones, but you'll have to work a little as there's simply so much you can do! As well as the drawbar sounds, don't forget that you have the complete set of Lowrey organ sounds, including some of the non-flute sounds like Trombone, Cello and Kinura. And there are some good basic organ sounds in Legacy.

I like to play mix and match with the sounds. For example I might use 16,8 and 4 Lowrey flutes in R1, and then add in some of the Hammond drawbars from 2' upwards in R2. I'll play around with the Leslie simulations, avoiding 'Real Rotor' and using Dual Rotor Bright instead, and then altering the parameters of the effect until it sounds like my old Leslie 145 or Leslie 760.

Bottom line - experiment! You'll be amazed at what you can come up with.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK, Dave Shively

Offline Ray

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2023, 09:31:37 PM »
Hello Andy, I found your reply re Genos organ sounds very interesting. Years ago, I had a couple of Lowrey organs, they had a great sound of their own. I now have a CVP 809. Your post mentioned “complete set of Lowrey organ sounds”. I realise one has a multitude of options with the Yamaha keyboards to get a good organ sound, too many really for an only average player as myself. Knowing the Clavinova has a similar “engine” as Tyros/ Genos, I would like a few of your suggestions to obtain a rich Lowrey sound on my keyboard, re flute footages, and whether Theatre , Euro, Home, whatever organ is selected, along with the equaliser balance on the particular tibia in the balance section, (re high or low balance ). Also, as I often use harmony often, not being great on full right hand chords,( although I only use full left hand chording,) a suggestion for a suitable harmony plus option. Many thanks for whatever you may offer. Ray.

Offline Tony09

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2023, 12:20:55 PM »
Andy, you did an excellent job with your Kawai babies. Really well done.

As you suggested (thank you) I'm working on my G2 trying to get near the same lush sound using Dual Rotor Bright and altering the effect settings and flutes. Like Ray, I'd also appreciate any further help or suggestions.

Tony

Offline andyg

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2023, 12:51:29 PM »
Ray, I'm not familiar with the CVP809. If it has the same organ voices as the T5 and G1/G2, then you should be able to access a screen with a set of white, marbled tabs with flute pitches from 16' to 1'. These are your Lowrey sounds. Use them exactly as you would on an older Lowrey model. The default DSP tremolo effect should be Rotary 5, which is an emulation of a single rotor internal Leslie unit. It works well, but you can switch it to Dual Rotor Bright for that Classic Leslie sound. You will need to play around with the EQ in the DSP effect, as the treble has been wound back. Boost this and those highs will sparkle.

Look in the Organ section for voices like Trombone, Kinura and Cello. These are the ones sampled from the same Lowrey as the flutes. I forget which model it was - perhaps a Contempo 80. There should also be some rather mushy, 1970s Lowrey strings, that blend well with the flutes.

The only EQ I adjust is the one in the DSP effect. If you're going to use two or three voices to create the big Lowrey sound that you're after, then it makes sense to use the same DSP effect for all the sounds, with the parameters set the same way. But, even with different DSPs, the Leslie effect can be quite convincing.

Here's a quick recording I did on a T5, emulating an early 1970s Lowrey GAK-H. A couple of the voices used are my own edits. I should still have these vce files on another computer, and they're based on really old Legacy folder sounds, so in theory almost any PSR-S, Tyros, Genos or CVP should be able to use them. I'll dig them out and attach them to another reply.

https://app.box.com/shared/eomqqytaox
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

The following users thanked this post: RobertM, wersianer, Tony09

Offline Pupflyer

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2023, 05:14:04 PM »
Hi Andy,
             Many thanks for the info re various organ samples and leslies etc.
              I count myself very fortunate to have these wonderful organ voices in my G1 voice bank(legacy too of course), but there are so many more options like DSP, panning, delay eq etc to (eventually) get just the setting
you love. Also having the option of three rh voices enables enormous sonic possibilities.
            Love my Genos!
              David
P. S. What about that Wersi!

Offline Ray

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2023, 07:27:27 PM »
Thank you Andy, I agree there are many options with the flutes and DSP effects to play around with. Thank you for your reply.Ray.

Offline andyg

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2024, 09:30:38 AM »
Hadn't forgotten this. Can't find the files on the PC, but they must be on a USB stick upstairs - somewhere. I'll have a chance to look later.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline andyg

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2024, 12:27:35 PM »
I found them!

I can't attach them here. :( Send me your email address and I'll send them to you directly. Unzip the file, copy the unzipped Lowrey Sounds folder onto a USB stick and then copy that folder into User on the keyboard.

They are all 'old school' Lowrey sounds from 1960s models like the TLO Holiday, plus a couple of Brass Symphonizer sounds from the 1972 model GAK-H.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline andyg

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2024, 10:37:00 PM »
I suppose I should also mention the US Organ Expansion Pack. Some nice warm Lowrey sounds on that, even if the illustration on the pack is a Conn organ! That's one of the packs that I have loaded in the Genos. Worth adding if you haven't yet got it and want those good old organ sounds.

www.andrew-gilbert.com