Author Topic: G2 RnB styles converted for G1  (Read 3026 times)

Offline pjd

G2 RnB styles converted for G1
« on: December 21, 2023, 06:48:04 PM »
For better or for for worse, I converted 28 Genos2 styles to Genos1:

https://sandsoftwaresound.net/genos2-rb-styles-converted-for-genos1/

You'll find the link to the ZIP file on that page. Please let me know if you encounter any download problems.

Styles are mainly the new(er) R&B/Soul styles with a little jazz thrown in. The ElectroSwing style is quite characterful and reminds me of Mocean Worker (Adam Dorn). I'd love to hear more of that, Yamaha!

The download page has a link to my conversion notes covering voice substitutions and so forth. When Yamaha updates/creates styles (voices, effects), it's not a doddle. That's why Genos is the big money...

Enjoy -- pj

P.S. If the moderation team would like to add these styles to the Genos 1 styles page, you got the okie-dokie. :)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 07:22:43 PM by pjd »

Offline Graham UK

Re: G2 RnB styles converted for G1
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2023, 08:36:38 AM »
DGX670

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2023, 08:45:09 AM »
Graham, I just downloaded it from the link on the page provided:
http://sandsoftwaresound.net/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/G2_RnB_styles_G1.zip

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2023, 10:10:28 AM »
The download link is not working at my end ?

https://sandsoftwaresound.net/genos2-rb-styles-converted-for-genos1/

Hi Graham,

The download link on pj's site uses the insecure "http://" protocol, which is blocked or ignored by some browsers.

If you haven't been able to download the zip file yet, try the following secure "https://" link:
>>> https://sandsoftwaresound.net/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/G2_RnB_styles_G1.zip

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK, Dave Shively, motekmusic, DaveD, fjafan, juketsu, pjd, LarsMoss, thomas750

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2023, 10:14:09 AM »
Chris. Your link appreciated. G2 conversions now downloaded.
DGX670

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2023, 10:27:37 AM »
Thanks for your feedback, Graham! I'm glad to could help.  :)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline pjd

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2023, 06:00:29 PM »
Thanks for sorting out the problem while I slept soundly in my bed.  :)

Have fun with the styles, folks!

BTW, I would love to hear an A/B comparison of the G2 style and converted style -- both played on Genos2. Might show the difference made by Ambi drums, REVelation, and all of the new G2 bass and FM voices.

Ain't science fun?  -- pj  ::)

Offline chesterkins

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2023, 06:20:07 PM »
Hi
Not sure what you did BUT they sound great
Listened and played a G2 about 3 weeks ago and the thing that impressed me was the reverb
YOU have got bags of that in your styles here Well done

Offline pjd

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2023, 01:07:25 AM »
Not sure what you did BUT they sound great
Listened and played a G2 about 3 weeks ago and the thing that impressed me was the reverb
YOU have got bags of that in your styles here Well done

Thanks! Wish I could take credit, but Yamaha produced really good, lively styles. Hats off to them!

My conversion strategy is "First, do no harm." I try not to change anything unless it must be changed. That means replacing REVelation with the closest Real Reverb preset, finding alternative Mega Voices which best match the new Genos2 MVs, and finally, replacing per-style part insert effects.

One of the big leaps with Genos1 is the ability to put an insert effect on every style part. Starting with G1, Yamaha puts compression on individual style parts (if nothing else). G2 styles make use of the new multiband compressor. The Genos OS does not substitute DSP effects -- you'll get THRU if an effect is unavailable. Multiband compressor presets were replaced with the corresponding Uni Comp preset.

Glad the conversions are working out! -- pj

Offline Rien5

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2023, 08:08:41 AM »
Wow! Excellent!
Thanks very much.

Offline chesterkins

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2023, 11:47:12 AM »
Hi PJ

Anymore in the pipeline??? please

Offline franksboard

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2023, 09:13:42 PM »
Hi sounded great on my Genos 1.i play a lot of Country and  Oldies Rock&Roll .would love to here what the Genos 2 would sound like on my Genos1
you did a fantastic job converting and all of us players thank you for your time.look forward for more thanks
« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 07:33:45 PM by franksboard »

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2023, 10:01:13 AM »
Thanks PJD for your efforts - it was fun to try your converted RnB styles on my G1!  -Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

Offline pjd

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2023, 07:30:51 PM »
I play a lot of Country and  Oldies Rock&Roll .would love to here what the Genos 2 would sound like on my Genos1
you did a fantastic job converting and all of us players thank you for your time. Look forward for more thanks

Hi folks --

Thanks for all of the "Thanks"! I'm glad those are working out for everyone.

I won't be doing more conversions as there are other folks doing conversions of their own. R&B+ is my contribution and there's no reason to duplicate effort. I noticed conversions from Xeenix (for T5) and Drake (for PSR-S950). Their conversions cover country, oldies and more. Their converted styles should play on Genos1 since G1 is a superset of T5 and S950.

Wishing everyone a happy holiday season -- pj   :)

Offline andyg

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2023, 06:03:55 PM »
If I click on that link, Chrome won't go there at all. Edge will go there, but it says that the file cannot be downloaded securely.

Any thoughts? Thanks
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline pjd

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2023, 06:09:35 PM »
If I click on that link, Chrome won't go there at all. Edge will go there, but it says that the file cannot be downloaded securely.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Hi Andy --

Chris already posted a work-around solution. Please enter the following link (URL) directly in your browser:

https://sandsoftwaresound.net/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/G2_RnB_styles_G1.zip

The other work-around is to force Chrome to "Keep" the download, i.e., to shut up and just do its job.  :)

This is why I would like to upload the converted styles to the PSR Tutorial style collections...  My Wordpress site software is not fully up to date.

Sorry for the hassle -- pj

The following users thanked this post: loendersloot, keyboards

Offline theoutlaws

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2023, 11:49:05 AM »
Hi, pjd,
thank you very much!!!!! for your great work and I would be happy to see still more of your converting work......
Greatings from Germany
Jürgen

The following users thanked this post: pjd

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2023, 02:51:27 PM »
Dear PJ,

you said:
I won't be doing more conversions as there are other folks doing conversions of their own

In facts I'm one of them: I'm converting more than 100 Styles (among the new Genos2 ones) in various genres, and I should be ready to make all available to the Forum in a short time.

It is amazing how Genos1 can play the Genos2 Styles! It is a huge improvement to our Genos1.

Ciao,

Angelo
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 02:52:37 PM by MadrasGiaguari »
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

Offline pjd

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2023, 05:51:16 PM »
I'm one of them: I'm converting more than 100 Styles (among the new Genos2 ones) in various genres, and I should be ready to make all available to the Forum in a short time.

Angelo

Thanks, Angelo! I've heard your work and I look forward to your conversions.  :) 8)

I'd like to give a shout-out to Drake and Xeenix. Xeenix has converted many G2 styles for Tyros 5. He has posted links in the Charter/Supporting members section of the Forum.

Drake has converted G2 styles for PSR-S950:

https://www.psrtutorial.com/sty/collections/drake.html

These targets should work fine on Genos1 because G1 is a superset of T5 and S950.

All the best -- pj

The following users thanked this post: MadrasGiaguari

Offline chesterkins

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2023, 07:51:03 PM »
PJ
You mention in your notes for the conversions you were using Real reverb presets and Uni comp  Excuse my ignorance but where would i find these say on a Genos or have you converted them off Keyboard?
Thanks
Chris

Offline pjd

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2024, 06:13:36 PM »
Hi Chris --

Please forgive me if I've misunderstood your question.

Yamaha uses the term "effect type", but I prefer to separate a DSP effect into its algorithm (code) and parameter values. I think of a set of specific parameter values as an "effect preset". algorithm + parameter values = behavior

So, if you look at the Reverb Effect Type list (tab) in the so-called data list spreadsheet, you'll see 26 REVelation effect presets, e.g., REVelation Medium Hall. They all use the same REVelation algorithm. Every preset has selection values: MSB and LSB. In the case of REVelation Medium Hall, the selection values are 25/0, respectively.

During conversion, I replaced the REVelation (and multiband compressor) selection values with the selection values associated with a (roughly) equivalent REAL REVERB preset. In the case of REVelation Medium Hall, I used the "Real Medium Hall +" preset.

If you want to, you can explore the effect assignments through the Genos Mixer.

Hope this answers your question -- pj
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 05:58:10 PM by pjd »

Offline chesterkins

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2024, 10:46:22 AM »
Thanks PJ
Am away on vacation but will try your suggestions when i get back
Your conversions are by far the nearest 'soundwise' to the G2
best example is the 80'Funk  where the stereo also kicks in big time in addition to the reverb