Author Topic: Greetings!  (Read 695 times)

Offline clevermoniker

Greetings!
« on: December 11, 2023, 06:14:09 AM »
Hello everyone!

Allow me to make a (hopefully not too long) introduction:

I'm still mostly new to playing keyboards. I played guitar since I was a child, but for many reasons I find keys more exciting. I have mainly focused on sound design and playing synthesizers since the last few years. Because I'm not really a keyboard player I basically hold a chord with my left hand and let the arpeggiator do all the work! Though this technique works (I in fact made an album a few years ago based mostly around this method!) you can imagine the compositions are somewhat weak and limited.

As I become more interested in composition I began to ask myself, "How can I focus on orchestrating and composing real music when I don't know how to play drums, bass, and other instruments?"

Living in the "synth world" it seems the main option is chasing gear - a drum machine, and a sequencer, and computerized DAW, etc - all this becomes a chore. Gear is expensive, takes up a lot of space, and is complicated to use.

Then I kept seeing these "arranger" things and I got curious. ???

It strikes me that maybe an arranger is a better tool for me. It seems it will allow me to sketch out musical ideas and, even though my hands are unskilled, the arranger can provide interesting basslines and rhythms just like the arpeggiator on my synth did.

Yamaha musical instruments are consistently reliable in my experience and I like several of their synths. I'm considering purchasing the PSR SX700 and my research brought me to this forum.

I've read several posts and have been impressed with the amount of musical talent and knowledge of members. I am pleased to meet you and look forward to learning from all of you!
 8)

Offline Roger Brenizer

Re: Greetings!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 07:24:00 AM »
Hi Clevermoniker,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for becoming a member. I’m sure you'll learn a lot about the PSR-SX700 keyboard here on our forum, should you decide to purchase this one.

You’ll want to be sure to visit the Home page and check out some of the tutorials you will find links to there. The following link will take you to the Home page of the website:

https://psrtutorial.com/

Should you later decide to become a supporting member, which will include lifetime membership, other forum boards will become available to you, as well as a wealth of additional musical knowledge; however, there is absolutely no obligation to do so. You may also use the following link to discover the full benefit of becoming a Supporting Member of the PSR Tutorial.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,15536.0.html

You’ll also gain access to an Excel Song Index database, made available to supporting members by our good friend, Peter (XeeniX) and maintained by another good friend, Runner4Fun, which presently contains 111,077 song titles in 2,914 indexed books. This index is updated often.

In lieu of making a donation only, you may also order any of the website’s resources, which can be found at the following link:

https://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/productsum.html

Joe Waters updated “Supporting the PSR Tutorial”, on August 27, 2017, which can be found here:

https://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/index.html

We’re so glad you've decided to become a member and very happy you've decided to become a part of this great forum family. If you have any questions, then please just ask. Many of our members are always very willing to help you.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 08:06:02 AM »
Hi Clevermoniker

Welcome to the psr gang!
It was interesting to read your post, and I think you'd find the PSR-SX700 a very capable instrument as you already have some musical knowledge.

I own 2 X SX700's and you'll get a lot of enjoyment from the synth, dance and other sections by the sound of your ideas. Add to this the almost endless number of styles that you can download, and the intuitive touch screen, and it's a winner keyboard.

If you take a look at my performer page you'll get an idea of it's potential. All my music on this forum is played on the SX700

https://psrtutorial.com/perf/keithSimpson.html

Enjoy exploring!

Keith.
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 11:49:23 AM »
Hi Clevermoniker,

Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum, and thank you for the very detailed introduction of yourself!

The SX700 is a very good keyboard and offers unbeatable value for money. You can't go wrong with this.

All the best from Germany,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline pedro_pedroc

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2024, 07:55:02 PM »
Hello, Mike.

Congrats to have a yamaha arranger.
You can watch my YouTube videos - I have a lot of songs, mostly recorded with my own custom styles.
A lot of people like to watch the videos, learning how to use and how to play an arranger keyboard.

My YT channel is below my signature.
Welcome to this forum...

I have a Genos, SX900, and SX700. The SX700 sounds good for sure - it's a very good keyboard to start.

Pedro