Author Topic: Bizarre multipad limitations  (Read 1040 times)

Offline konaboy32

Bizarre multipad limitations
« on: December 09, 2023, 12:21:22 AM »
Hurray, I created my own multipad set, and even recorded my own multipad phrases to each pad, with their own sounds. Took a long time to figure out but seems like it was a complete waste of time.

Next logical step was to adjust the mix (levels) of the 4 multipads.  Nope, the Mixer Multi-pad tab is accessible, but there are no mixer controls.

Ok, I want reverb and delay on one pad but not on the others.  Hang on, there is no way to add effects to individual pads. Actually I can't even do it on the entire multipad set.

Multipads seems like a great idea with a lot of potential, but the implementation is severely broken, it seems, or am I missing something?

Offline EileenL

Re: Bizarre multipad limitations
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2023, 06:09:38 PM »
Are these Midi Multi pads if so you can adjust the volumes by selecting Step record in the recorder and there you will see something like a control track where you can change things.

Offline konaboy32

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2023, 09:35:00 PM »
thank you, yes you can probably edit each step, but i am baffled why it does not show up in the Mixer under the Multipad tab. that is the intuitive place to easily adjust levels and effects, all the other midi channels are adjustable in the mixer.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2023, 11:03:53 PM »
thank you, yes you can probably edit each step, but i am baffled why it does not show up in the Mixer under the Multipad tab. that is the intuitive place to easily adjust levels and effects, all the other midi channels are adjustable in the mixer.

Save your settings in a registration. They should stay memorized there.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline konaboy32

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2023, 11:59:59 AM »
Save your settings in a registration. They should stay memorized there.

Cheers,
Fred

Thanks Fred, of course, but there is no way to make settings to a multipad set. adjust the relative levels, add effects etc.   bizarre.

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2023, 03:14:47 PM »
Hi konaboy32,

The volume settings in "Mixer > Multi Pad tab" only affect Audio Link Multi Pads.

You set the total Multi Pad volume (for all 4 pads of the loaded MIDI Multi Pad Bank) in "Mixer > Panel 1 > M.Pad tab".

You set the volume for each individual pad of a MIDI Multi Pad Bank in Step Edit by changing the value for "Ctrl #7  Volume". Here you can also set the Send Levels for the System Effects Reverb and Chorus . (Reverb and Chorus types are set by the loaded Style.)

Important: Make sure that "Control Change" is ticked in "Event Filter", otherwise Volume and Reverb/Chorus Send Level events will not be displayed.

Alternatively, you can change these values in "Mixmaster > List View". Note that "Ctrl #7 Volume" is displayed as "Main Volume" in Mixmaster. See also the attached screenshots.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 03:24:09 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Mike W

Offline konaboy32

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2023, 04:48:10 PM »
thank you Chris, that will be helpful thanks.

feels very much like a workaround, having to edit the midi events, rather than using the mixer.  Perhaps multipads is not much of a prioritized feature by Yamaha or its users.

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2023, 06:11:42 PM »
thank you Chris, that will be helpful thanks.

feels very much like a workaround, having to edit the midi events, rather than using the mixer.  Perhaps multipads is not much of a prioritized feature by Yamaha or its users.

Hi konaboy32,

Thanks for your feedback.

We are talking about the Multi Pad Creator (MIDI Multi Pad Recording). If you're recording a Multi Pad yourself or editing an existing one, you'll need the Event List in the Step Edit display anyway, even if it's just to move the END marker of a repeating pad to the correct position (so that the loop "runs smoothly").

Even if you could edit certain parameters for individual pads of a Multi Pad Bank separately in the mixer, you would still have to go to the Multi Pad Creator after setting them to save the MP Bank file. Anyway, I like it the way it is.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 06:18:31 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)